Midgard Bestiary for 4th Edition - Kickstarter

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The folks over at Open Deisgn/Kobold Quarterly have a kickstarter to fund the production of a bestiary for the Midgard campaign setting.

"The Midgard Bestiary features over 150 imaginative, playtested, and deadly monsters to use as adversaries in any 4th Edition D&D game, either in Midgard or in your home campaign world."

"This Kickstarter is just to cover final production and printing costs, because theBestiary is already written, edited, and illustrated.  With your help, we'll unleash 150 new monsters for 4th Edition this September!"

So if you are looking for new and interesting monsters to throw at your players then go over here (www.kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/m...) and pledge away!

[FULL DISCLOSURE: I contributed a monster to the book and am contributing some of the bonus monsters] 
The folks over at Open Deisgn/Kobold Quarterly have a kickstarter to fund the production of a bestiary for the Midgard campaign setting.

"The Midgard Bestiary features over 150 imaginative, playtested, and deadly monsters to use as adversaries in any 4th Edition D&D game, either in Midgard or in your home campaign world."

"This Kickstarter is just to cover final production and printing costs, because theBestiary is already written, edited, and illustrated.  With your help, we'll unleash 150 new monsters for 4th Edition this September!"

So if you are looking for new and interesting monsters to throw at your players then go over here (www.kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/m...) and pledge away!

[FULL DISCLOSURE: I contributed a monster to the book and am contributing some of the bonus monsters] 

Love this project but got there too late... do you know when I can buy this without kickstarter?
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
Hey Houndstooth,

My current understanding is that this book will be available for purchase directly from KQ store in September.  

I've subscribed to this thread, so if something changes I'll try to remember to drop in and let you know.

The KQ front page ( www.koboldquarterly.com/ ) is generally a great source of new product announcements as well. I keep it in my RSS feed. 
Hi,

The Midgard Bestiary for 4th Edition is out now at drivethrurpg.com.

Very happy with how it's turned out ;)

Cheers

Rich

Parsantium: City at the Crossroads – a sourcebook for all editions of D&D and Pathfinder, available from drivethrurpg.com and paizo.com

At the Sign of the Green Man

I’ve removed content from this thread because Spamming/Phishing is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
I had some credit due to the end of Kobold Quarterly. I wanted to buy some of the Kobold Guides but decided to get some to help plan for my next adventure. I figured the Midgard Bestiary would be the most useful for that but I wasn't sure. The Imperial Gazetteer would be more useful in later adventures I think due to a demon/undead destroyed section of the world. I like Dwarves so Iron Gazetteer was also in consideration. I have most of the Kobold Quarterly issues so any monster from there included in the Bestiary would just repeat old information. In the end I decided to go with the Midgard Bestiary.

This is the best monster manual I've seen in a while. I really like the 2nd edition monster information. The 3rd edition books weren't bad but had less ecology of the monsters that I thought was interesting. Sure the ecology in 2nd edition wasn't that important to playing but I liked it. 4e did have some nuggets of information in the lore DCs but they really skimped on the monster descriptions and became more about monster stats.

Midgard Bestiary has very well done descriptions of the monsters. They don't have any lore charts but I'm fine with that. Most of the time the lore doesn't apply to my world so it doesn't help much. I sent some Merrow and Spectral Wolves against the players last night. A lot of the monsters look interesting and I'm looking forward to trying more.

The introduction by Rob Heinsoo was also very interesting. He threw in a quick random character history to make the monster manual useful for players. You roll a d20 and get some character history to add to your character. Each history is tied to a monster in the book. It also gives you some advantage (or perhaps disadvantage) due to having that history. They are not designed to balanced. It's an interesting little system that I kinda wish was included in previous monster books even if they only serve as inspiration.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

Sign In to post comments