D&D next playtest-round one (Pass the salt)

Player # 1: Healing way to easy and removes fear from players: the advantage/disadvanatge rule is confusing.
Player # 2: Atacts of opertunity? The free action rule is open to abuse. Librial healing. The advantage/disadvanatge rule is confusing
Player # 3: bring back 4th edition healing surges. Bring back action points. Atack of opurtunity?  bring back 4th
player #4 Stealth to easy? When do i have advantage?

GM: Mobs of 10Hp or less were a cake walk for the players. They hardly lasted a round. on the other hand mobs with 40 or more HP like my dark Cultist boss slaughterd the whole party in 2 rounds.
Lot more Why cant i try it mentality in this play because there were no rules saying tehy couldent: the mage bluffing 15 cultist to run out of the room and atack the invaders (ther wre no invaders) was awsom-the player just figured he could try.
If we want to stress role playing AGAIN WE HAVE TO GIVE THEM A REASON TO ROLE PLAY-NOT JUST SKILL TASKS BUT ACTUL REASONS TO ROLE PLAY AND INETREACT WITH THE WORLD.

GET RID OF THE OLD d+d PANTEHON: no more palor
keep it 1st edition simple: I<3 the="" 4="" race="" class="" so="" far="" i="" never="" want="" to="" see="" another="" twin="" scimitar="" weilding="" ranger="" as="" long="" live="" br="">
changes I made: the GOblins became Spirits huanting the ruins of the burnt city and they had to use salt to get rid of them-i used the stats for goblins but added a lil flolklore to them and called them BUNYIPS
I LOVE using Giant insects at least onec every four game sesiiosn-just something so cool about a GIANT ANT rising up out of the ground and eating your horse-so encounter # 2 was fire beatels munching away on the dead.

the party followed the evil cultist and the kidnaped NPC plot devise the the HUANTED MOATHOUSE-where they used clever role playing to outwit the 20 cultists but when they got to the big fight with the main boss-he was close to destroying them. well in all fairness he had like 4 rounds of advanced warning to buff up and prepare his defences because of all the noise they were making but still...Thankfuly the freede the NPC PLOT DEVISE and ruined the evil bad guys plans to sacrifise her so he cut his loses and ran away.

all in all we spent about an hour figuring out the rules and 3 hours of playing the MOATHOUSE scnerio (Im running them through TEMPEL OF ELEMENTIL EVIL BTW)

more next week
Mike
I didn't have the same experience as you at all.
My groups have loved Advantage/Disadvatage.
We thought Healing was just right during the encounter.
How is "Healing is too liberal" AND "bring back Healing surges"?  Healing Surges give more HP and there were many more ways to trigger Healing Surges.

It sounds as if your group enjoys 4e. I hope that 5e offers all those things that your group missed with this 5e playtest.
Remember to check back when the next packet is released to see what has changed and hopefully it is more to your liking.

Thanks for the post though.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
Player # 1: Healing way to easy and removes fear from players: the advantage/disadvanatge rule is confusing.
Player # 2: Atacts of opertunity? The free action rule is open to abuse. Librial healing. The advantage/disadvanatge rule is confusing
Player # 3: bring back 4th edition healing surges. Bring back action points. Atack of opurtunity?  bring back 4th
player #4 Stealth to easy? When do i have advantage?

GM: Mobs of 10Hp or less were a cake walk for the players. They hardly lasted a round. on the other hand mobs with 40 or more HP like my dark Cultist boss slaughterd the whole party in 2 rounds.
Lot more Why cant i try it mentality in this play because there were no rules saying tehy couldent: the mage bluffing 15 cultist to run out of the room and atack the invaders (ther wre no invaders) was awsom-the player just figured he could try.
If we want to stress role playing AGAIN WE HAVE TO GIVE THEM A REASON TO ROLE PLAY-NOT JUST SKILL TASKS BUT ACTUL REASONS TO ROLE PLAY AND INETREACT WITH THE WORLD.

GET RID OF THE OLD d+d PANTEHON: no more palor
keep it 1st edition simple: I<3 the="" 4="" race="" class="" so="" far="" i="" never="" want="" to="" see="" another="" twin="" scimitar="" weilding="" ranger="" as="" long="" live="" br="">
changes I made: the GOblins became Spirits huanting the ruins of the burnt city and they had to use salt to get rid of them-i used the stats for goblins but added a lil flolklore to them and called them BUNYIPS
I LOVE using Giant insects at least onec every four game sesiiosn-just something so cool about a GIANT ANT rising up out of the ground and eating your horse-so encounter # 2 was fire beatels munching away on the dead.

the party followed the evil cultist and the kidnaped NPC plot devise the the HUANTED MOATHOUSE-where they used clever role playing to outwit the 20 cultists but when they got to the big fight with the main boss-he was close to destroying them. well in all fairness he had like 4 rounds of advanced warning to buff up and prepare his defences because of all the noise they were making but still...Thankfuly the freede the NPC PLOT DEVISE and ruined the evil bad guys plans to sacrifise her so he cut his loses and ran away.

all in all we spent about an hour figuring out the rules and 3 hours of playing the MOATHOUSE scnerio (Im running them through TEMPEL OF ELEMENTIL EVIL BTW)

more next week

What did your group find confusing about advantage/disadvantage?
'That's just, like, your opinion, man.'
When this thread was first created, I refrained from commenting, because I would basically just be disagreeing with, or confused by, everything in it.

The OP says, simultaneously, that healing is too easy to access, and that he wants a return to 4E's healing surges. Not only is this self-contradictory, but it's also:

1. Too free of access to healing is directly contrary to my own observations; characters in this playtest are fragile, and the lack of healing options leads to a strict 30 minute workday that isn't condusive to engaging storytelling.

2. Whether or not healing surges is included in the healing mechanics has nothing to do with how much healing is available, and is dependent entirely on arbitrary designer decisions. The system is neither good nor bad.

The OP's entire group found Advantage and Disadvantage confusing... I'm... not certain how that's possible. It's perhaps one of the simplest aspects of the system, and presented no confusion at all to me or my group. Without the OP explaining WHAT they found confusing, I'm inclined to believe that the group didn't give the system a fair shake before coming to conclusions about it (a rampant problem when a new edition is released).

Most of the rest of the OP's post is a garbled mess of formatting errors and barely legible storytelling, which I'm disinclined to take the trouble to parse at this time. Overall, I found this thread pointless, which is why I didn't comment earlier, hoping it would sink, unbumped, to the lower pages on its own.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

The OP says, simultaneously, that healing is too easy to access, and that he wants a return to 4E's healing surges. Not only is this self-contradictory,

He's relating the observations of several different players.  One thought there was too much or too easy healing, one that 4e surges would have been better.

2. Whether or not healing surges is included in the healing mechanics has nothing to do with how much healing is available, and is dependent entirely on arbitrary designer decisions. The system is neither good nor bad.

The healing surge system seemed pretty good.  It removed healing as a burden on the Cleric and made it an individual player resource.  As someone who played Clerics a lot in 3e and AD&D, that was a welcome and long overdue change.  Hit Dice seems similar, just not as dependable or as good, and Cleric spells face no limit based on surges, so there'd be preasure for the Cleric to use them all to heal unless there's a very strong need for another spell known in advance.

The OP's entire group found Advantage and Disadvantage confusing... I'm... not certain how that's possible.

Maybe he had trouble explaining it.  One is take the better of two rolls, the other is take the worse.  It's fairly intuitive.  Maybe they found getting advantage or suffering disadvantage hard to grasp, as it's mostly a matter of round-by-round DM fiat.  If their DM was inconsistent, it might seem confusing.

Please remember to keep your comments positve, productive, and on topic. Remember we are trying to create a
mutually beneficial and productive community for everyone to take part in. If you have any questions or would
like to read the CoC you can find it here:

company.wizards.com/conduct

Thank you for your understanding!