Buying out 3rd party content to bring it in the builder?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure about you guys, but I'd love to see some of the larger 3rd party content in the builder, classes/races/items/feats, they could be separated via campaigns again.

Or are there any current builders that do this? 
Not sure about you guys, but I'd love to see some of the larger 3rd party content in the builder, classes/races/items/feats, they could be separated via campaigns again.

Or are there any current builders that do this? 

Yes, please!  There's probably some level of licensing issue though.  While Wizards can survive off of people using just DDI, most indie companies can't.  So, there's that negative side to the positive.  However, having say content from Amethyst interact with content from Eberron?  AWESOME!

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Someone made the offline CB capable of doing it, but from what I understand that CB is no longer available for download (previously the download link worked even after WotC stopped supporting it but I believe they cut that off).

There is also the Heroforge character builder (which can import DDI data and you can add your own custom data). Unfortunately, the framework didn't get updated to keep up with new rules, so there is no theme support. I was able to do some editing to get a theme tab added to the builder but I haven't gotten theme powers to work properly. If someone were able to get that working, it would be a huge boon to the community.

If you add the data to the builder yourself, you wouldn't really have an issue. As far as sharing data packages or getting the companies to develop them, that's a different matter. Some might give the ok just to support their customers and I could see some including data packages with a pdf purchase or something like that.

I don't want to speak for Serenadawn, but I do seem to recall this being looked into for Ultramodern4 a while back but I think the result was that it was too complicated to get Heroforge to work with the Ladders. It might be feasible for Amethyst, though.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.