Cleric|Sentinel w/ Polearm Momentum

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello everyone!

I'm playing a dwarf cleric|sentinel for a level 14 campaign and I'm looking for advice on improving him.  Right now he uses Polearm Momentum with an Alfsair Gouge and Magic Stones to do lots of at-will pushing and proning.  I'm trying to make the character as self-sufficient and versatile as possible, because the party I'm playing with is very variable.  The DM allows people to rebuild between sessions, but also many of the players will be different from one session to the next.

Playing with this character, I've noticed that our party has trouble doing high DPR so I would like to increase his damage output.  I also noticed that I tend to stay out of melee, so my melee resources are being underutilized and maybe they could be better put toward damage.  I was considering getting Wintertouched/Lasting Frost and using Frozen Whetstones to get CA and increase damage, I'd probably drop melee training and toughness for them. If I drop melee training, the Guardian theme is much less useful and I should change it. What should I get instead? Knight Hospitaler, Fey Beast Tamer, or something else?

Also this campaign may continue to level 16, at which point Morninglords come online, which would be great for damage. The trouble is if I got a Radiant Gouge, I couldn't use it as an implement, and if I got a Crusader's Hammer, I couldn't use it with Polearm Momentum. I could use a gouge as a holy symbol if I get Symbol of the Sonnlinor, but then I couldn't be a Morninglord because I'd have to worship Moradin.  Is there a way to have a radiant gouge as a weapliment and also be a Morninglord? Is there some other enchantment that does radiant damage that I've overlooked? Or is there another way to add radiant damage to attacks, maybe like the way Frozen Whetstones do with cold damage?

Thank you for any help!

Here is the build currently:

Dwarf, Cleric/Druid (Sentinel), Tactical Warpriest
Season: Druid of Summer
Hybrid Cleric Option: Battle Cleric's Lore
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Spear)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Totem)
Warsmith (Warsmith Benefit)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 16, DEX 15, INT 11, WIS 24, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 12, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 8

AC: 32 Fort: 27 Ref: 24 Will: 30
HP: 103 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +15, Heal +19, Nature +22, Perception +23

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +7, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +12, History +7, Insight +18, Intimidate +6, Religion +7, Stealth +9, Streetwise +6, Thievery +9

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Druid Attack 1: Magic Stones
Cleric Attack 1: Burden of Earth
Cleric Attack 1: Moment of Glory
Druid Utility 2: Cat's Grace
Cleric Attack 3: Resurgent Sun
Druid Attack 5: Wall of Thorns
Cleric Utility 6: Stream of Life
Druid Attack 7: Charm Beast
Cleric Attack 9: Blade Barrier
Druid Utility 10: Clear the Chaff
Tactical Warpriest Attack 11: Battle Cry
Tactical Warpriest Utility 12: Battle Favor
Cleric Attack 13: Remorse

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Melee Training (Wisdom)
Level 4: Versatile Expertise
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Toughness
Level 10: Mark of Healing
Level 11: Battle Awareness
Level 12: Wary Fighter
Level 14: Polearm Momentum

ITEMS
Alfsair Spear Gouge +3 x1
Agile Scale Armor +3 x1
Healer's Brooch +3 x1
Hamanu's Terrible Roar (heroic tier)
Gauntlets of the Ram x1
Avalanche Boots x1
Belt of Vim (heroic tier) x1
Casque of Tactics (heroic tier) x1
Adventurer's Kit
Bag of Holding
Chalk and slate
Bell and whistle
Climber's Kit
Ritual Book
Continual Light
Enchant Magic Item
Disenchant Magic Item
Dancing Lights
Comrades' Succor
Brew Potion

You are playing a low paragon character (ie. 4 encounter powers and 3 dailies) with none of them being non-standard actions and you're optimizing around an at-will. Why?

You have the Guardian Theme, Battle Awareness, and the Tactical Warpriest PP, yet you chose Melee Training instead of taking an at-will that can be used as a MBA, costing you both a Feat slot, 4 damage per MBA hit, and a penalty on the target. Why?

On a similar vein, you are optimizing around a ranged at-will and have multiple ranged encounter powers, yet you have your theme, a feat, and PP based around melee combat, with no way of ignoring Opportunity Attacks. Why?

You have a 16 Con and absolutely nothing based off of your Con, causing your Fort and Ref defenses to be lower, in exchange for 4 hp and 2 surges. Why?

Nearly everything that you're attempting to do with this character in no way benefits the other things you're attempting to do. Self-sufficient versatile characters sound good on paper, but if you try to build in a way that doesn't need other characters to work, you're going to end up with a character, like this one, that doesn't work well with anyone. If you want to increase your overall damage, you need to figure out what it is you want your character to do, and then build off of that instead of forcing concepts together with duct tape and super glue.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I''d check out the Druid handbook if you haven't already. Alien did a pretty thorough job of optimizing druid PM shenanigans, although I forget what he named the build.

You have the Guardian Theme, Battle Awareness, and the Tactical Warpriest PP, yet you chose Melee Training instead of taking an at-will that can be used as a MBA, costing you both a Feat slot, 4 damage per MBA hit, and a penalty on the target. Why?

I am guessing because clerics don't have any good wis regular MBAs.  They have good MBAs on charge powers, but the only regular MBA they have is Sonnlinor's Hammer, which is only worth taking for a build like this to save a feat on melee training.  He has polearm momentum and guantlets of the ram so Burden of Earth will push 2 and prone.  The best way to get a good wisdom MBA on this build is either to switch to a glaive via background with HBO (which won't help with guardian theme so he should switch to something like sohei and requires a some stat points into strength) or go half elf.

I would definitely switch Resurgent Sun for Death Surge. 

Clear the chaff isn't a bad choice, but I would probably take word of vigor instead.  You already have mark of healing.

I would get rid of toughness.  You have a lot of other choices you could go with there.  Hybird talent for paragon of the natural cycle would increase your reach by 1 or dwarven durability would be my first choices.  Hybrid talent for channel divinity and favor of the gods would be better too.

No way to get a radiant gouge weapliment for a Morninglord if you are following the single deity rules like they use for LFR and the character builder.  Your best bet is to convince your DM to use inherent bonuses and get a holy symbol for your implement attacks.
To Zathris:

Atwills: The fights we've had have been long (did I mention that we don't do a lot of damage?) so improving at-wills seems like a good idea. If the terrain allows it, then damaging walls plus forced movement could help damage a lot, but we've been fighting fliers in large open spaces.

MBAs: Like GelatinousOctahedron says, clerics don't get a lot of Wis based MBA powers to choose from, Sonnlinor's Hammer has a Cha rider that won't help. On the druid side even if I didn't want Magic Stones, the druid MBA Savage Rend requires Beast Form, which sentinels don't get. I'd rather have a good melee at-will if I need it on my turn and use my bear's basic attack if I'm provoked. I should probably switch Burden of Earth to the more accurate Icon of Fear though.

Melee: Part of that is historical. This is my first paragon character and he's based on a heroic zealot who had to brick for a lot of squishy ranged characters. In this campaign more people seem to be playing melee, and I can use Magic Stones from outside charge range (cleric ranged attacks are often range 5), so I'm actually hoping to change a lot of the melee stuff (feats, theme, and PP). I was thinking the frost feats, and maybe Morninglord. Do you have suggestions?

Con: That is historical again but it is a good point. In early heroic Blessing of Battle with a high Con can be very strong, but I'm not using that at-will anymore. I should pick either Con or Str and drop the other.

Unfocused: It is an unfocused character and that may just be a problem inherent to what I'm trying to do. I've enjoyed playing it so far, I'd just like to try to shorten combats.

To Scatterbrained:

Thank you! I have looked at alien270's handbook and it was helpful. Druids can use Savage Rend to slide and prone targets as an MBA, which is nice because you can position them so they can't charge, or use other effects to knock them prone again if they try. Druids can also use Magic Stones to push and prone. Unfortunately sentinels can't use Savage Rend because it requires Beast Form, which they don't get.

To GelatinousOctahedron:

Thank you for your cleric handbook!

MBAs: If I end up making this a more ranged character, then a good MBA will be less important, I won't be trying to make monsters attack me, and in a pinch I can use the sentinel's animal companion to make opportunity attacks.

Resurgent Sun: Death Surge is a better choice, thank you!

Clear the Chaff: The only thing that concerns me about Word of Vigor is its short range. Is it much of a handicap in practice?

Toughness: Yeah Toughness isn't that great to this build, although it is increases the animal companion's HP too, which makes it slightly better than one might think. I will probably change it.

Weapliment: Thank you! That is what I thought, but I was hoping for a way around it. The DM does houserule some, so I might be able to get him to grant me two deities, we will see.  Part of the advantage of a weapliment is that a lot of things that boost weapons, also affect attacks made using that weapon as an implement, for example Polearm Momentum (otherwise druids' Savage Rend trick wouldn't work), Dwarven Weapon Training, and I believe Radiant Weapon and Frozen Whetstones too. If I could get them all working together, I could continue pushing and proning things and greatly increase my damage, and the damage of anyone else in the party who uses radiant or cold damage.

Sign In to post comments