Lords of Creation (Forum Game) - OOC Thread

815 posts / 0 new
Last post
Asking me where the seed is...

I was thinking it fell into one of the permanant Oases of the Mirage Valley.  That should be complicated enough trying to reach it and make it... difficult to remove, as any living object found outside said oases is killed in moments when things change from forest to desert.

And excellent!  Begin the descent of Ikola into madness and evil! 
So...

No one (except for me) has spent any PP this week, as its been a slow week.   We *could* reset, but I'm leaning towards just waiting till next weekend.  If anyone has strong objections, let me know.

Also:  Thanks Fred, that was fun  
Nah, just wait for now.

I was kind of hoping that seed would just sprout on its own. Well, perhaps given a little Time... I can wait, though.

Omus is sad that non of the other gods are as intelligent as him.  
Working on a post at the moment myself, but a thought Toph. Might want to include the map in the early OOC posts to make it easier to locate. I didn't see it there.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Also, I notice their doesn't seem to be much information on the map on where our land based populaces are located at the moment.

EDIT: Epic post s up! And I continue to taunt Ikola just a little bit :D

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
And yet your taunt was Ikola's point the entire time :D
Mostly because I like avoiding having to completely rework the map every time Omus gets the itch to give me work (:P)  I call shenanigans on that latest expenditure of yours, Fred!

We don't have ice caps.  We don't... actually... appear to have any *ice* at all except the orb of everlasting ice (which does not appear to create ice... at least not without direction) and the effects of magic exploration of the past.  Ergo, while I completely agree that putting a sun hovering above the earth *would* melt the ice caps... as before we had a fairly uniformly heated region and no ice caps were ever mentioned... I call shenanigans that they now both exist *and* are now melting

Sorry about the map!

However, it has nothing to do with ice caps. The sea level rises because the water in the oceans expanded with the heat. Only slightly, but there's a lot of sea to expand.

Even on our planet, arctic melting ice doesn't do much for the sea level I believe since it's mostly underwater anyway, and it shrinks when it melts, though antarctic ice would contribute.
... Perhaps.  

Since I'm bored at work, I did some calculating (helped by the internet).  On your average backyard pool (12x24) by say, 4.5 feet deep on average, if you raise the temperature by, say, 13 degrees, the pool level rises by about 0.1 inch.  This is equivalent to a change from 1296 cubic feet to 1298.4 cubic feet, or a % change of (rounding up) 0.2% by volume.

Using our oceans as an estimate, we have... 1.3 billion cubic Km of water on earth (never actually looked that up.... thats an impressively large amount!).  Lets assume that instantaneously, we increase the temperature of that water by 13 degrees (Farenheit).  This would increase the volume of the ocean by 0.2%, expanding it to... 1.3026 billion KM cubed of water.  Or a change of 26 million cubic kilometers.  The area of the ocean is 361 square KM.  So those extra 26 million cubic KM equate to an increase in the height of the ocean by .072 meters at every point of the ocean, or... about 3 inches.

A catastrophic flood

But okay.  Why not.  You spent the PP, so it counts.  Time to make a post-post-Omus map! 

Edit:  hmm.  I failed to take into account other parameters.  You may be right after all.

I have to confess, I've never actually run the numbers (and hell yeah, that is a lot of water), nor is it really anything like my area of expertise, but I think there are one or two other things. Water's not an ideal gas, and the expansion isn't linear. It depends on the current warmth of our world (which admittedly was, I thought, not all that hot) and pressure, and I'm not sure how deep the seas are (presumably deeper seas means more water per surface area, so more rise). It does appear, though, that most of our sea level rises are chalked up to thermal expansion. Not sure quite how, but there you go.

And anyway, who said this water doesn't expand more than our water? Laughing
It *is* sentient, after all!

And yes, that would be what I wasn't keeping in mind... differential expansions at different temperatures.   
now also dont forget that due to the current warming, that we experience a rise in sea level of about 0.25 in/yr more or less currently and last I checked thats not a catastrophic flood. Although, having it all happen all at once in one area will cause massive flooding in that area. I do believe a 3in rise of sea level wont be enough to say.....take out california, but it will make San Fransisco bay larger and more beach area along the coast to make having beach front property in Arizona a little more plausible.

And of course I could very well be completely wrong and be pulling all of this out of my bum.....you decide! :P

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

There is the point that this would actually be quite slow, since the specific heat capacity of water is quite high (science!). However, we're talking deific timespans here.
Hi guys. I apologize for not posting. Real life got busy out of nowhere. My schedule's back into a regular rythm, but it's a little tighter than before. This game was a lot of fun, but it sucks up a lot of time, and it's getting hard to keep track of. I'm thinking about dropping out. Sorry.

I'll post IC one more time, to tie up loose ends and dissolve Umi into water or something.
Aww man, that's tough.

One question before you go - is the sea salt water? Wink 
Ooh, I gain an Impose! Cool!
Aww man, that's tough.

One question before you go - is the sea salt water?  

Yep. And the rivers are fresh water.
I've been busy, but I had a mega post in the back of my mind. Might see what fun we can have with all these PP...

Looks like we could do with recruiting a few more people, too (now we can have gods of ale and washing up and all sorts of civilisation-based things!) 
Oh, hey!  You're back (and so am I).  Excellent.  Yes, lets do exactly that.
Yes, it seems a plan. I got busy for a week and saw no new posts. So I waited. Then waited some more. Then assumed we were pretty much done, which saddened me. I have fun ideas left to use, but don't wish to use them if we're fairly well done.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
*blink*

Ara posted.  Woooooooow :P 
And I'm going to keep posting. So... get y'alls **** together.
Okay, and now that *that* is finally finished.  Lets get a post going!

Now... what to have happen... 
Yeah... I don't know what to have happen.

I feel we should either wrap this thing up or try and 'relaunch' it.  In terms of wrapping it up, having the WorldSeed sprout and start spreading over the world only to be stopped at the last minute might do.  If we want a relaunch... well, then that might take some more planning. 
Yeah, I know what you mean. I quite wanted the World Seed just to sprout anyway and run from there but maybe a relaunch could work. I don't massively want to go back and start from scratch, but it would give us all a chance to play other gods, it's true.
I don't even necessarially mean go back and start completely over... I'm enjoying my god, and I've enjoyed the relationships that have developed with other people.  I'm more thinking of us all giving up some of our massive PP stores (the PP that we're getting this game is out of hand ), and having some new baseline, then going and finding everyone who has dropped out or... never started... and inviting them back in on an even playing field.  And then we see where this seed takes us. 
Okay I hope I don't seem like an idiot here but I didn't really understand the rules of the game from the first post but if I've gotten the concept right (Start out as gods in a world in a relatively blank state, then mold the world into something much more interesting in with a mixture of co-operation and competetition with the other gods) Then this sounds like something I'd love to play.

I've never played forum games before and I might be a bit slow at starting out, but if anyone would'nt mind PMing me with an explanation of the rules or a link to a simpler explanation then I'd love to give this kind of game a try.
Awesome!

In essence, you get a certain number of "PP" each turn which you can spend as outlined in the rules, to do stuff. That's pretty much the crux of it.

Toph - it actually occured to me that if anything, we should have more PP at the start, when the world is young, to do things like shaping continents, and less later. I can almost imagine adding a "Primal Age" before the existing three ages where everyone gets an extra PP per round or something. 
Actually fred, I think that is an awesome idea! Instead of having little PP in the beginning and running out of things to do fairly quickly (and early on) maybe we should try for more PP in the beginning and maybe taper it down, or make actions more expensive as time wears on. It could be the solution to our "game getting boring", massive PP, and lack of players issues.

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

You know, I've also been thinking, and... for all its flaws, the one game in which we really tried to do that (we didn't play around with PP, but we did play around with costs) was the one that I keep remembering most fondly.  Its the example one in the first post... Lightvoid.  We turned everything upside-down for that game... first age, the mold rules were reversed... 1 PP mold MADE A PLANET.  (it might have been 2 PP, I'm not remembering at the moment) while it took a concerted amount of effort to make something small like a mountain.  You also couldn't make populaces.  Age 2, Mold PP costs normalized, populaces could be made... but their costs were switched... so the elder races... the dragons, the titans, the beholders... they all cost small PP, while the humans, elves, etc cost more.  Age 3... I think we forbade the creation of planets (barring admin approval) and all the costs were 'normal'

The main complaint we all had in the end was that... it got kinda desolate.  By the time the game ended, due to player attrition, we had like... one player per planet, and it was... difficult... to start any sort of interactions.  Its why, ever since, we've had a push to try and make it HARD to create competely distinct landmasses.  Part of me is wondering if we were missing the point

I have many thoughts about this iteration, and what worked and what... well... didn't.  I think I'll open up a post on the group about it: community.wizards.com/lordsofcreation

But I think the main issue is just overall critical mass of players.  The Forums are in a strange place at the moment, where 4e is kinda... old... but 5e isn't yet on the horizon.  Assuming things follow the same pattern for 5e as they did for 4e, the forums will get a lot busier, and therefore more potential players will show up, and we can get the proverbial ball rolling and keep it going with new blood.

Which, speaking of...  Hi Jamespies!  I'm going to stop navelgazing now.

We'd love to have you join.  Fred summarized it fairly well, and your feel of it is exactly right.  Each week you get a certain amount of 'power' to spend that week on a variety of actions, such as creating a moutain range, directing the dwarves to delve deeper into said mountain range.  Creating something to emerge when they delve TOO deep, and then harming the dwarves as they flee in terror from that which was Deep.  

In reality, though... Player X creates a mountain Range.  Player Y moves his dwarves into said mountain range.  Player Z says 'there's a Balrog in that mountain range, and its now attacking you'  Each player does that for their own reason (World Beautification, Race Stewardship and vendetta against Player Y and all its creations, for instance), and in the end, you get something cool.

For instance.  In Lightvoid (linked in the first post), the Goddess of Light creates a world from the corpse of a dead starbeast.  Its true nature is forgotten, and the beast is eventually petrified and turns into a standard world named Yrie.  Eventually, several races and mighty nations appear on the surface, and they begin to grow and fight and flourish.  One, a nation of titans, grows very powerful, and becomes one of the dominant powers in the entire universe.  A series of 'evil' Gods approach the patron of this nation (me) and propose to put it to the test (very Job like).  I agree, and they begin sending armies of the undead against the city, which devolves into a protracted siege.  Eventually, an alliance of 'good' Gods intervene and drive the undead from the deserts where the titans lived.  In response, the evil Gods create a spell that raised ALL of the dead on the planet.  Including the planet itself, which, over the course of a week or so of posts, shakes itself to pieces, killing everyone except for the Titans, who had fitted a rocket onto their capitol, and flew it away to a new world.  There was a tarrasque and a religious cult and a few other things as well.

Anyways.  Its late tonight, but I'll PM or post here tomorrow and try and explain the rules!

Or... the next day

Basically, the game is this:  You start off with a domain.  This can be anything... water, fire, civilization, plants, gnomes... something that you are the god of.  This domain gives you the ability to spend 1 point of power towards any action that involves that domain.

So, for instance, if I was god of water, I could make water soldiers (a shape), or make a tsunami (a command) or provide healing springs to the gnomes (a nourish) with the power from my water domain.

In addition, you'll have other sources of power... some general (you can spend it on anything) and (eventually), some specific, which can only be used on a subset of actions.

Each week, you get a certain number of power points (PP) split across your domains, your general and your specific pools.  From these, you spend them to perform actions in the course of your PP  (If you play 4e, its kinda the equivalent of the psionic pool of mental power that you use up slowly over the course of a day to do things that have lasting effects).  When you are out of PP, you can keep RPing, but until the reset, you can't do large actions.

As you perform actions, your amount of PP will go up.  We adopted a sort of Elder Scrolls approach to it for the game... if you do something more, then you'll get better at it and be able to do it more often.  So if you do, say, 'Generate' actions:  creating monsters and forging divine artifacts, then you'll slowly gain additional power in that category.  The easiest one to level-up is the Domain category... just keep doing things that are appropriate to your domain, and you'll gain additional points that you can either use to become stronger in that domain or claim a new one.  

So my God is the god of life (and civilization).  As a God of Life, the way I've been playing it is a god that is creating species all the time, and helping them to grow.  So I have a lot of points in generate and empower, as those are the two categories I've been doing the most things in.  On the other hand, I have very few points in Impose, as my God isn't doing that.   If I had wanted to be another sort of Life God, one that, say, is interested in maintaining and manipulating the ecosystem.  I might impose my will more often, but nourish less often, so I would have a lot of Impose and Generate instead.

Okay, thanks for all the replies guys.

In all honesty I don't like the idea of joining an already existing game, but if a new game will be started anytime soon I'd love to join as a god something like this:

(My apologies if I haven't used the template correctly)

Name: Pruinus
Holy Symbol: Snowflake
Appearance:
Priuinus takes the form of a beautiful women whose body is entirely composed of ice. She appears as if she has been carved from ice perfectly, with not a single flaw or rough patch. Upon her shoulders are a set of beautiful angellic wings, these wings are made of pure white snow. It is said she creates mighty blizzards simply by flapping her wings. Despite her entire body being composed of ice, her movement, expressions and actions all appear to be those that a normal human could do.
farm3.static.flickr.com/2296/2233846410_...
For those having trouble envisioning this, my god likes very simillar to ice sculpture in the link above, but with the addition of angellic wings.

Domain: Cold.
(For what I envision my god doing, I thought it would be best to use a very general term for her domain, which is why i picked Cold but lesser domains could include Winter, Snow, Frost and Ice.)

Misc:
Pruinus believes that by creating a tougher environment for things to live in, the creatures within will adapt, survive and ultimately, improve into new beings. She also believes that simply by lowering the temperature in an area, new forms of life can arise that would never be possible in lukewarm or hot tempearatures. Therefore, Pruinus see's it as her duty to spread snow & ice throughout the world, challenging life to overcome these obstacles and change for the better because of it. She is benevolent god and by no means wishes to encase everything in ice, she respects the right for life to flourish in environments other then harsh cold, but she is by no means a pacifist and will fight to claim what she see's as a fair portion of the world for the creatures of Winter. Ultimately however, everything Pruinus does is to encourage, sustain and improve life in any form.

If I've gotten anything wrong or left any vital info on my god out, I would much apreciate if you could let me know.
Thanks guys, look forward to creating a universe with you.
Looks good to me.  If you want to join us now, just let us know... otherwise... we'll probably be starting a new game sometime in early 2013... January/February or so. 
thats usually enough time for the old game to work its way into the annals, and for us to recover/recup/forget/ or whatever to get our creative juices flowing again.

If you like what you have seen, please join us! If you have friends, have them join us also! This is one of those games where, the more people there are, the more fun it really is. really.

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

That said, before we can start a new one, we need to resolve this one.  Do we want to do WorldSeed Sprouting and its spread as the end-game?
Fair does. I'll probably just check this forum every once in a while and see when a new game is starting and hopefully I'll be able to join.
Thanks for your help
I actually think we should leave this one open-ended. It's supposed to be campaign material. Let the campaigns figure it out!

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

*shrugs*  Not how we usually do it, but... I'm fine with that as well.  My job is basically just writing writing writing these days, and in all honesty, I wasn't much looking forward to doing more of it in my free time!

Guess that means I'll start working on some summary posts for the game, and then start loading everything into the wiki for posterity.  Not sure when it'll happen though.  In the meantime... everybody head to the group http://community.wizards.com/lordsofcreation and we'll start talking about the next one.
Oh.  But most importantly, we need a name for this LoC.  We decided not to name it before we started this time... so we have no moniker for it yet.

Thoughts? 
"Shifting World", "Living Planet"?