06/14/2012 Sealed Deck Builder

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

The biggest bombs where in black and red so here it is:

8 Mountain
9 Swamp
1 Butcher Ghoul
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
1 Driver of the Dead
2 Falkenrath Exterminator
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
1 Maalfeld Twins
1 Narstad Scrapper
1 Renegade Demon
1 Searchlight Geist
1 Soulcage Fiend
1 Stonewright
1 Undead Executioner
1 Bladed Bracers
2 Bone Splinters
1 Demonic Rising
1 Pillar of Flame
1 Thunderbolt
1 Vessel of Endless Rest

This Deck was built in 0:08:22

Total Deck Size: 40
20 Lands
---------------
11 Mountain
9 Swamp

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Blood Artist
1 Butcher Ghoul
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
1 Driver of the Dead
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
1 Soulcage Fiend
1 Undead Executioner

8 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bone Splinters
1 Ghoulflesh
1 Guise of Fire
1 Pillar of Flame
2 Thatcher Revolt
1 Thunderbolt

Black/Red Aggro 

This Deck was built in 3:37:31

17 Lands
---------------
9 Mountain
8 Swamp

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Blood Artist
1 Butcher Ghoul
1 Corpse Traders
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
1 Driver of the Dead
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
1 Searchlight Geist
1 Somberwald Vigilante
1 Stonewright

9 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bone Splinters
2 Dangerous Wager
1 Demonic Rising
1 Pillar of Flame
1 Predator's Gambit
2 Thatcher Revolt

I had a hard time between choosing red or white, in the end it was the thatcher revolts that made me go for it. 

Red had the best cardpool by far. I felt that green had the bombs and some additional nasty tricks. I noticed most people went black. But going black just didn't seem strong enough to me. Take a look at my picks and tell me this wouldn't rock 'em in this limited.

This Deck was built in 0:08:41

Total Deck Size: 40 18 Lands
---------------
10 Forest
8 Mountain

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Borderland Ranger
1 Falkenrath Exterminator
1 Gloomwidow
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Mad Prophet
1 Pathbreaker Wurm
1 Somberwald Vigilante
1 Timberland Guide
1 Trusted Forcemage
1 Wandering Wolf
1 Yew Spirit

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Bladed Bracers
1 Eaten by Spiders
1 Guise of Fire
1 Natural End
1 Pillar of Flame
1 Revenge of the Hunted
1 Thunderbolt
1 Tormentor's Trident
1 Vanguard's Shield

Everyone seems to overvalue the Thatcher Revolt. The only card in the pool that goes off of Revolt is Dual Casting, and even then that is only a maximum of six damage for 4 mana. usually it will be even lower. I remember at the launch party, some guy tore a whole in it with dual casting. Never lost a game he had it out. I decided red was clearly best, with black possible. But I ultimately decided it was neither aggressive nor controlling enough, and lacked good dual casting synergy. So green it was.

Lands:18
10 Mountain-i have more red cheaps than green cheaps
8 forest

Creatures:14
1 Somberwald vigilante-good one-drop, not fantastic, but good
1 stonewright-very good one drop, especially with the wurm
2 Falkenrath exterminator-good two drops are necessary for every aggro deck
1 Lightning Mauler-more two-drops, but great when giving late game stuff haste
2 Hanweir lancer-awesome three-drop
1 Hound of Griselbrand- all upside, no downside
1 Timberland guide-all important two-drop that also boosts the wandering wolf
1 Wandering wolf-great two-drop with several synergies
1 Borderland ranger-some great fixing
1 trusted forcemage-great turn three play with some synergy
1 Yew spirit-awesome finisher
1 Pathbreaker Wurm-trample works well with Stonewright

Other:8
2 tormentor's Trident-awesome with the wolf, and helps me dish out loads of damage
1 Vessel of Endless Rest-good ramp and fixing
1 Otherworld atlas-nice draw to find more bombs and finshers, or to mill the other guy if necessary
1 dual casting- Awesome with the three spells I have, a nice alternative plan
1 Pillar of flame-works double duty as removal and reach, even better with dual casting
1 rain of thorns-very nice to take out problems and a land as a bonus, dual castable
1 Revenge of the Hunted-good boost that becomes insane with dual casting and when targeting wandering wolf

I would really like to play this deck. Thoughts?
Blue was right out.  White had a few middling cards, and a Seraph, but no real synergy, so I set them all aside.  Choice is between red, black and green.  As it appears, I'm the only one who went BG.  I want to play black because Demonic Rising is a huge bomb and the double Bone Splinters.  I get one Butcher Ghoul and a bunch of creatures that I'm alright with playing.  Perhaps I should be playing Corpse Trader over Scrapper, but I like the bad firebreathing as a way to close out games, especially with Trample Wurm.  Green has some very aggressive cards like Wolf, Forcemage, Guide and Gloomwidow.  I see them applying pressure until I can set up the larger beats.  Black is especially susceptible to things like Blue's bouncytimes so I was happy to play the Sheltering Word as my one trick, especially to protect my green miracle's blowout potential.  Eaten by Spiders, Natural End can come off the board if I need them.

Red was hard to let go.  Ultimately, I didn't like the lack of Thatcher synergy (other than dual casting and the blood artist, what cares?), the Guise of Fires wouldn't be maindecked over Ghoulflesh and the Pillar, I don't like the risk of playing Dual Casting, and I didn't see enough ways to get my Falkenrath Exterminators through.  Hound of Griselbrand is absurd and Stonewright + Lancer does nasty things.  I just didn't think red was deep enough.

This Deck was built in 0:15:11

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
10 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Blood Artist
1 Borderland Ranger
1 Butcher Ghoul
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
1 Driver of the Dead
1 Gloomwidow
1 Maalfeld Twins
1 Narstad Scrapper
1 Pathbreaker Wurm
1 Renegade Demon
1 Searchlight Geist
1 Soulcage Fiend
1 Timberland Guide
1 Trusted Forcemage
1 Undead Executioner
1 Wandering Wolf

7 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bone Splinters
1 Demonic Rising
1 Ghoulflesh
1 Revenge of the Hunted
1 Sheltering Word
1 Tormentor's Trident

I really liked the Green but the depth was not enough and the red removal put it over the top.  Plus, the Hound plays into the strengths of this build as the Undying/Driver/Executioner/Twins plays well with double Bone Splinter and Demonlord.  Also the quick removal can clear the path for the 2x Falkenrath.  Even Guise of Fire is good given how many x/1 creatures are highly playable in this set and having Ghoulflesh and another Guise in the board can help remove if there are multiple small creatures on your opponent's side. 

This Deck was built in 0:06:32

17 Lands
---------------
8 Mountain
9 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Blood Artist
1 Butcher Ghoul
1 Corpse Traders
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
1 Driver of the Dead
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
1 Maalfeld Twins
1 Mad Prophet
1 Renegade Demon
1 Searchlight Geist
1 Undead Executioner

7 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bone Splinters
1 Demonic Rising
1 Guise of Fire
1 Pillar of Flame
1 Thunderbolt
1 Tormentor's Trident

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

This Deck was built in 0:04:22

Total Deck Size: 42
19 Lands
---------------
10 Mountain
8 Plains
1 Seraph Sanctuary

16 Creatures
---------------
2 Cathedral Sanctifier
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
2 Mad Prophet
1 Moonlight Geist
1 Moorland Inquisitor
1 Seraph of Dawn
1 Somberwald Vigilante
1 Stonewright
1 Thraben Valiant

7 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bladed Bracers
1 Call to Serve
1 Leap of Faith
1 Pillar of Flame
1 Thunderbolt
1 Zealous Strike

I went with RW.  I was surprised not many did.  I liked this because of the ability to get out on the field quickly.  The 2 Exterminator were nice to see. 

Why is red so wrong? It provides nice aggro, a few rares, and even some top end goodies. I do get the black route, but red green seems much better to me. Plus, trident is absurd. Why didn't you use it?
Why is red so wrong? It provides nice aggro, a few rares, and even some top end goodies. I do get the black route, but red green seems much better to me. Plus, trident is absurd. Why didn't you use it?

I hate it when people use the word 'wrong' when they are just making a different choice.

And given your handle, I'm not surprised you went red/green

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

I hate it when people use the word 'wrong' when they are just making a different choice.

that, and i have good release party memories (wolfir silverheart is freakin busted, especially with lightning mauler, which is a very good card btw)

Thought I would try something different this week and discuss how I made the deck while I do it (which will no doubt extend the time something horrid but never mind).

Firstly, I sorted by rarirty and noticed two very strong black rares and a very strong green rare with a pretty good red rare and two pretty weak rares.

I then sorted by colour and noticed blue was very weak and an easy drop.

I then looked at just black (as it had the strongest rares) and sorted by mana cost.  Black has a good curve lots of strong cards and is clearly going to be part of my final deck so I move all black cards to my deck section (not that I will play them all).

I then look at red and see that red is geared for a very aggressive deck.

I then look at white, which has a few nice cards but generally looks quite shallow

Green too looks pretty shallow.

So I then revert and look at how black/red looks as I think these are the strongest colours in the pool.  Black/Red gives me a super aggressive deck that probably means not getting the most out of Demonic Rising but should be able to bash my opponent to death very quickly (especially with the Blood Artist, Thatcher Revolt combo.

Black/White leaves me light on creatures as there are only 5 white creatures I want to play (I would play the Sanctifiers and Midvasts if I had to but I wouldn't be happy about it).

Black/Green gives me more of a mid-range deck with the 2 and 3 drops complimenting the black 4 drops and giving me access to the bomb that is revenge.

So it comes down to Black/Red vs Black/Green.

My BR build looked like this:

This Deck was built in 0:16:43

17 Lands
---------------
9 Mountain
8 Swamp

17 Creatures
---------------
1 Blood Artist
1 Butcher Ghoul
1 Corpse Traders
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
1 Driver of the Dead
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
2 Mad Prophet
1 Searchlight Geist
1 Soulcage Fiend
1 Stonewright
1 Undead Executioner

6 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bone Splinters
1 Pillar of Flame
1 Thatcher Revolt
1 Thunderbolt
1 Tormentor's Trident

While my BG looked like this:

This Deck was built in 0:19:32

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
9 Swamp

17 Creatures
---------------
1 Blood Artist
1 Borderland Ranger
1 Butcher Ghoul
1 Corpse Traders
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
1 Driver of the Dead
1 Gloomwidow
1 Maalfeld Twins
1 Pathbreaker Wurm
1 Renegade Demon
1 Searchlight Geist
1 Soulcage Fiend
1 Timberland Guide
1 Trusted Forcemage
1 Undead Executioner
1 Wandering Wolf
1 Yew Spirit

6 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bone Splinters
1 Demonic Rising
1 Ghoulflesh
1 Revenge of the Hunted
1 Vessel of Endless Rest

I think the BR deck is better both in terms of card quality and synergy so that is the deck I would build.

Thought I would try something different this week and discuss how I made the deck while I do it (which will no doubt extend the time something horrid but never mind).

Thank you for taking the time on that.  It's always nice to see the process some times.

191752181 wrote:
This Deck was built in 0:07:08 Total Deck Size: 40 17 Lands --------------- 8 Forest 9 Mountain 17 Creatures --------------- 1 Borderland Ranger 2 Falkenrath Exterminator 1 Gloomwidow 2 Hanweir Lancer 1 Hound of Griselbrand 1 Lightning Mauler 3 Mad Prophet 1 Pathbreaker Wurm 1 Stonewright 1 Timberland Guide 1 Trusted Forcemage 1 Wandering Wolf 1 Yew Spirit 6 Other Spells --------------- 1 Pillar of Flame 1 Revenge of the Hunted 1 Sheltering Word 2 Tormentor's Trident 1 Vessel of Endless Rest

I concede that, in retrospect, BR is probably the better build.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.

that, and i have good release party memories (wolfir silverheart is freakin busted, especially with lightning mauler, which is a very good card btw)

One of my favorite memories was playing red/green in constructed, though I doubt I did much smashing.  It was just nice to post an 8-3 record with a deck I was told couldn't beat any top deck in the field. ^^

191752181 wrote:

This Deck was built in 0:03:51

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
10 Mountain

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Borderland Ranger
1 Gloomwidow
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
1 Mad Prophet
1 Pathbreaker Wurm
1 Somberwald Vigilante
1 Stonewright
1 Timberland Guide
1 Trusted Forcemage
1 Wandering Wolf

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Eaten by Spiders
2 Guise of Fire
1 Pillar of Flame
1 Revenge of the Hunted
1 Thunderbolt
2 Tormentor's Trident

This is where I ended up, though I had noted that black had some strong rares, and may well have been a better choice, I believe this deck would do well.

Everyone seems to overvalue the Thatcher Revolt. The only card in the pool that goes off of Revolt is Dual Casting

This isn't quite right. 

With Revolt goes with Blood Artist (additional 3 damage and you gain 3 life - a 6 point life swing plus whatever damage the peasants do).  The tokens themselves go well with cards like Bone Splinters (the token was going to die anyway), Corpse Traders and Demonlord.

Everyone seems to overvalue the Thatcher Revolt. The only card in the pool that goes off of Revolt is Dual Casting

This isn't quite right. 

With Revolt goes with Blood Artist (additional 3 damage and you gain 3 life - a 6 point life swing plus whatever damage the peasants do).  The tokens themselves go well with cards like Bone Splinters (the token was going to die anyway), Corpse Traders and Demonlord.

While I agree with the first two, the other two are too mana intensive to cast and use in one turn.  Unless my deck can be built around it, I usually eschew Thatcher Revolt, and I don't have it is as highly valued in this sealed versus others.

191752181 wrote:

This isn't quite right. 

i realized that a few minutes ago. But the demonlord is really expensive once you add in the thatcher's, and the corpse traders as well(and you shouldn't live that long with black/red). I can see the blood artist doing some real work, but it still doesn't seem as good as wandering wolf + trident or stonewright, etc. that green offers. btw, i once used revenge of the hunted to attack for 18 damage... then lost.
This Deck was built in 0:12:07 Total Deck Size: 40
17 Lands ---------------
 6 Forest
 11 Swamp

13 Creatures ---------------
1 Blood Artist
 1 Borderland Ranger
1 Butcher Ghoul
 1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
 1 Driver of the Dead
 1 Gloomwidow
 1 Maalfeld Twins
 1 Renegade Demon
 1 Soulcage Fiend
 1 Timberland Guide
1 Undead Executioner
 1 Wandering Wolf
1 Yew Spirit
10 Other Spells ---------------
 2 Bone Splinters
1 Demonic Rising
1 Ghoulflesh
1 Mental Agony
1 Predator's Gambit
1 Rain of Thorns
 1 Revenge of the Hunted
 2 Tormentor's Trident

This isn't quite right. 

i realized that a few minutes ago. But the demonlord is really expensive once you add in the thatcher's, and the corpse traders as well(and you shouldn't live that long with black/red). I can see the blood artist doing some real work, but it still doesn't seem as good as wandering wolf + trident or stonewright, etc. that green offers. btw, i once used revenge of the hunted to attack for 18 damage... then lost.

I agree with Gruul

:GM::RM: just feels so much stronger and faster. Wandering wolf alone is an excellent 2 drop. And whoever thinks black has the best rares you just silly.

I obviously chose to leave out stonewrite on mine, probably should have kept him in over vigilante.
After seeing the other posts I'm going to have to go back and reevaluate black, but I went R/W and I wouldn't be ashamed to play this:

This Deck was built in 0:11:18

17 Lands
---------------
10 Mountain
7 Plains

16 Creatures
---------------
2 Cathedral Sanctifier
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
2 Mad Prophet
1 Moonlight Geist
1 Moorland Inquisitor
1 Seraph of Dawn
1 Somberwald Vigilante
1 Stonewright
1 Thraben Valiant

7 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bladed Bracers
1 Call to Serve
1 Defang
1 Pillar of Flame
2 Tormentor's Trident

The equipment make every single creature I cast a threat, whether they were originally intended to be a support card or not, slap a trident on it and it can smash face with the best of them.

Let's see my white is:
2x Cathedral Sanctifier-I usually don't play this, but I'm aggressive enough that this actually isn't too bad.
Moonlight Geist-2/1 flyer for 3 I am always happy to play
Moorland inquisitor-potential first strike on a bear I'd be willing to play
Seraph of the Dawn is a finisher/reach for me.  It allows me to keep swinging aggressively into mid game.
Thraben Valiant-okay I don't care for this card that much...
Call to serve is awesome.  you don't want t see a flying falkenrath exterminator
defang is a good catch-all damper to many threats.

Okay so white could be traded if I had enough black creatures:
Blood Artist awesome in an aggro deck
butcher ghoul is servicable, but meh...
searchlight geist always happy to see
soulcage fiend I like
corpse traders is a good midsized body with the ability to snack on the opponent's hand
demonlord of ashmouth is an absolute bomb and must play
driver of the dead is decent and could get back an exterminator
undead executioner is a little expensive but has a kill spell tacked on
Demonic Rising probably doesn't fit in the deck, but I'd probably try to squeeze it in anyway
Renegade demon has a big front end
maalfield twins are difficult to get rid of.

for black noncreatures the pair of bone splinters looks tasty.

Okay so black is stronger than white probably, while white is a little faster but harder to push to the finish.  I'm hung up on thatcher revolt though.  It's just so underwhelming when you don't have somthing that synergizes with it, but so powerful when you do.  Oh well...I'll give it a shot.

Here's my R/B build:
This Deck was built in 0:37:44

17 Lands
---------------
10 Mountain
7 Swamp

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Blood Artist
1 Corpse Traders
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
1 Searchlight Geist
1 Somberwald Vigilante
1 Soulcage Fiend
1 Stonewright

10 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bladed Bracers
2 Bone Splinters
1 Demonic Rising
1 Pillar of Flame
2 Thatcher Revolt
2 Tormentor's Trident

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

This Deck was built in 0:14:58

16 Lands
---------------
8 Mountain
8 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Blood Artist
1 Butcher Ghoul
1 Corpse Traders
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
1 Driver of the Dead
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
1 Maalfeld Twins
1 Searchlight Geist
1 Soulcage Fiend
1 Stonewright
1 Undead Executioner

8 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bone Splinters
1 Demonic Rising
1 Guise of Fire
1 Pillar of Flame
2 Thatcher Revolt
1 Thunderbolt

Too much good red/black for me not to choose that combo. Unfortunately had to cut Renegade Demon, Ghoulflesh, and the 2nd Guise of Fire since I wanted the Thatcher Revolt/Blood Artist synergy.  Going green for Revenge of the Hunted was tempting, but didn't seem like the color was deep enough other than that.

Having all the removal in a set with so little removal is too good to pass up, also considering how well Bone Splinters and Thatcher Revolt works. Oh yeah, and Blood Artist.

This Deck was built in 0:10:01

17 Lands
---------------
9 Mountain
8 Swamp

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Blood Artist
1 Demonlord of Ashmouth
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
2 Mad Prophet
1 Searchlight Geist
1 Soulcage Fiend
1 Stonewright

10 Other Spells
---------------
2 Bone Splinters
1 Demonic Rising
1 Ghoulflesh
1 Guise of Fire
1 Pillar of Flame
2 Thatcher Revolt
1 Thunderbolt
1 Tormentor's Trident

I tried building it, and I can see what made people go b/r, but the reason to me seems more like a desire to load up on removal and two-drops. Pressure can be applied with great efficiency, and push people right out of the game. If I found that red/green didn't work how i thought it would, I would probably rebuild the deck as this (but I still think my gruul deck is better, and anyone who isn't absolutely stocking every removal spell in that deck is playing it wrong, it should be about pushing the exterminator through and killing stuff with it to fuel the artist.)

Here is the build:
Lands:18
9 swamps
9 mountains

Creatures:13
1 blood Artist-aggressively costed and provides some value over the course of the game
1 Butcher ghoul-two-drops are all important, and is great for bone splinters
1 Soulcage fiend-aggressive creature that provides a good death bonus
1 Undead executioner-good creature that can be used for bone splinters and fuel the artist
1 Maalfeld Twins-also great for bone splinters, but primarily, it tops off the curve
1 somberwald vigilante-a nice one-drop
1 stonewright-okay, its only one mana, but it is can do some nasty pump tricks
2 Falkenrath exterminator-really easy to push through with our removal and eventually pushes itself through
1 Lightning Mauler-a 2 power 2 drop that can give twins or another bomb haste
2 Hanweir lancer-high quality turn three play
1 Hound of Griselbrand-very nice closer w/undying but it fuels a bonesplinters

Other:9
1 Ghoulflesh-here is the fun! finish of their early plays and push through creatures
2 Guise of Fire-see ghoulflesh
2 Bone splinters-a card that results in a 2 point life swing with artist and helps push through more stuff
1 mental Agony-reach and discard to seal the deal
1 pillar of Flame-even more removal!
2 thatcher revolt-not the best for this slot, but there will be situations where 2-3 more damage and a 3 point life swing can change a race or seal the deal

I would run red-green, but have this deck ready for sideboarding if it is good against the matchup.

This Deck was built in 0:57:01

16 Lands
---------------
8 Mountain
8 Plains

16 Creatures
---------------
2 Cathedral Sanctifier
2 Hanweir Lancer
1 Hound of Griselbrand
1 Lightning Mauler
2 Midvast Protector
1 Moonlight Geist
1 Moorland Inquisitor
1 Seraph of Dawn
1 Somberwald Vigilante
1 Stonewright
1 Thraben Valiant

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Dual Casting
1 Pillar of Flame
2 Thatcher Revolt
1 Thunderbolt
3 Zealous Strike

Although it was tempting to go R/B black just wasn't that much powerful as the possibility I had with white. Also, copying a thatcher's revolt or zealous strike would be awesome. 
16 lands because of the low curve, plus, more space for creatures. 

So what is the general consensus on demonic rising and demonlord of ashmouth?  I kind of built my deck with those two in mind, are they good enough to justify that? 
So what is the general consensus on demonic rising and demonlord of ashmouth?  I kind of built my deck with those two in mind, are they good enough to justify that? 

They can be obscene to deal with, especially the rising if they go into play early with the right situation.

191752181 wrote:

They can be obscene to deal with, especially the rising if they go into play early with the right situation.

Demonic rising situational, and Demonlord of Ashmouth can get you into trouble. That is why I still say black is weak sauce.