A question about formats.

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone, I just wanted people's insights on what formats they play and why. And what do they when somebody complains about the format the deck is in.

I'm asking this cause just recently, I was playing casual with my modern decklist, except for 2x Mishra's Factories and the guy says "Well, since it's a legacy deck, i'll use my mono brown stax deck." Long story short...it just irks me me to no end.

"Modern except also some cards that aren't legal in Modern" isn't a format.  If you want to make a Modern-legal deck, do so.  If you find that too restrictive and instead go for a Legacy-legal deck, you don't get bonus points for mostly restricting yourself to Modern cards.
I play EDH/Commander and limited exclusively.  "Regular" magic just isn't very interesting to me now that I've been playing EDH.  I've even taken apart all of my casual decks.
I've always mostly been a casual player, so the casual format just really works for my playstyle.  Plus, I find you get a lot more "you'll never believe what just happened!" moments in a multiplayer format where cards with higher casting costs are the norm.
I've even gotten into "competetive", 1 vs. 1 EDH tournaments lately, and find the deck construction aspect of it fascinating.
Try it out, if you haven't.
I play Standard for the competition, and the rapidly changing metagame.  It keeps the game from feeling stale.

I play Commander because I have a lot of old cards from previous formats that I enjoy playing, and because it's a fun change of pace from the slim, efficient format of Standard.  Great for casual play.
I play mostly Commander and Modern
proud member of the 2011 community team
Limited (Draft/Sealed) because you don't need to prepare a deck before hand. Plus it's fun opening packs!
I used to play just kitchen table, got bored and noone played, tryed out standard, the meta I played at was very lax very casual but still just as compedative, we want to play.

But now I think I would rather play a non rotational format where people are not ******** about how this card needs banned or that one needs banned.

Standard is a joke if your playing agenst nothing but net decks.
Learn about autocard here ==> [*c]Lightning Bolt[/*c] Remove "*" and you get Lightning Bolt. IMAGE(http://internetometer.com/image/27264.png) Keep extended alive for future generations so they dont have to sell out for modern. "If there is such a thing as too much power, I have not discovered it." —Volrath
"Modern except also some cards that aren't legal in Modern" isn't a format.  If you want to make a Modern-legal deck, do so.  If you find that too restrictive and instead go for a Legacy-legal deck, you don't get bonus points for mostly restricting yourself to Modern cards.

No, but you do get points for playing casual. Casual (at least most casual I play) has an implied "Not Tier 1 Decks" rule, at least for formats outside of standard. Most people just don't have enough money they're willing to spend on Magic to build a top tier legacy or modern deck. If I'm running the Planechase Ninja deck, it's technically a 'legacy' deck, but even a moderately powerful standard deck could easily beat it.

As far as formats I play? Standard mainly because FNM is where I spend most of my Magic time recently. My casual playgroup has recently gotten into Commander though, so when I'm not playing FNM, I'm usually playing Commander. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)

No, but you do get points for playing casual. Casual (at least most casual I play) has an implied "Not Tier 1 Decks" rule, at least for formats outside of standard. Most people just don't have enough money they're willing to spend on Magic to build a top tier legacy or modern deck. If I'm running the Planechase Ninja deck, it's technically a 'legacy' deck, but even a moderately powerful standard deck could easily beat it.

That's a fair point (though "casual" can be compatible with "tier 1 decks" in some playgroups).  Using a vastly more powerful deck is a jerk move.  However, bending the format rules while the other players follow them strictly is also a jerk move.  The players should come to an agreement both on the format being played and the approximate power level they're aiming for.
But now I think I would rather play a non rotational format where people are not ******** about how this card needs banned or that one needs banned.

The reasons are always stupid too. Primeval Titan needs to be banned? Where were you during Zendikar? Infect needs to be banned? That's why it hasn't made the top 8. Eldrazi need to be banned? I'd worry about the Eldrazi, but I beat my opponent's Eldrazi deck five turns ago.

I've always said "Standard is not a format." because most players prefer other formats, but Wizards pushes Standard almost exclusively. (Sadly, I can't make "Standard is not a format." a format, so my hopes of being memetic are dashed.) The tl;dr version is this: On the plus side, it helps new players play competitively. On the minus side, it requires you buy more cards.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
On the minus side, it requires you buy more cards.

This is EXACTLY why standard is THE pushed format.

Thank you all for the replies. I would repsond, but I will tomorrow (5 hour drive ahead of my, yay), keep em coming!
Sorry about the late reply, been busy with family visiting.

But, thank you all from the insigh. I think I found out what I was looking for. 
I feel like posting though.

Being as poor as my family is, I play standard in order to have trade material for new cards (and every now and then, get something I want).

But I prefer commander whenever I can, the interactivity is insane
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Once again, thank you everyone for your input, but please, just don't stop for my sake, lol.

It's rather interesting to what others think. Honestly, I still have issues with people complaining about  my decks not being a certain format though. 
Show

The reasons are always stupid too. Primeval Titan needs to be banned? Where were you during Zendikar? Infect needs to be banned? That's why it hasn't made the top 8. Eldrazi need to be banned? I'd worry about the Eldrazi, but I beat my opponent's Eldrazi deck five turns ago.

I've always said "Standard is not a format." because most players prefer other formats, but Wizards pushes Standard almost exclusively. (Sadly, I can't make "Standard is not a format." a format, so my hopes of being memetic are dashed.) The tl;dr version is this: On the plus side, it helps new players play competitively. On the minus side, it requires you buy more cards.

Yeah standard will always be the go to set but its boring to play mirrors all the time, I want to play variate, The FMN I played in was very casual, They rather ran an engine of sorts than the deck as a whole.

But most of the net decks were booted out cause its not fun when most of your meta is kids.
I was in the middle always 50-50.
Learn about autocard here ==> [*c]Lightning Bolt[/*c] Remove "*" and you get Lightning Bolt. IMAGE(http://internetometer.com/image/27264.png) Keep extended alive for future generations so they dont have to sell out for modern. "If there is such a thing as too much power, I have not discovered it." —Volrath

That's a fair point (though "casual" can be compatible with "tier 1 decks" in some playgroups).  Using a vastly more powerful deck is a jerk move.  However, bending the format rules while the other players follow them strictly is also a jerk move.  The players should come to an agreement both on the format being played and the approximate power level they're aiming for.

this is why I stopped building my own decks and started just borrowing other peoples' to play them. most people will build their decks within basically the same power level, so it's generally not unbalanced.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I mostly draft. That aside, EDH or casual. My casual decks generally at least pay lip service to the Vintage banned/restricted list (you won't find me running multiple Sol Rings and Balances, even though I could if I wanted to).

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.