D&D insider - Dragon magazine needs to go back to print or be a real digital magazine

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a new D&D insider subscriber but an old school gamer since the original red box.  I'm rather disappointed in the way Dragon and Dungeon magazine is presented.  It's a bit of a shame to call it a magazine, it no longer meets that criteria.  No in print publication or digital version is created article by article while the month goes on.  Here it is almost half way in the month and there is 1 article available for Dragon "magazine".  I'm ok with WOC wanting to go digital but it's distributed in a sorry way.

Please consider distributing dragon/dungeon back to magazine format.  It's what the community of rpg has loved for many years and another mistake I think WOC has turned gamers away from the Dungeons and Dragons scene.  I would rather give 10 dollars a month for a print of Dragon magazine than all the benefits the D&D insider subscription offers.  I'm grateful that I have Kobold to fall back on.

You might discover that if WOC puts their efforts into what the community has loved, like Dragon magazine, they would have a community that would more than be willing to give their time an effort into help create tools that D&D insider offers, for FREE.  There isn't much community effort (compared to the pathfinder community) given to D&D.  Thousands of dollars are given by gamers for kickstarters that by far support your competitors and WoC is missing out on a lot of action, in my opinion and what I see in the scene.

I love Dungeons and Dragons and want to continue supporting the game as I've always known it with all the new and exciting things that can come in the future.  But as a supporter also of a largely growing Pathfinder community, its becoming harder and harder to do so.  WoC has some great people on board so I don't know where the break down is.  Perhaps its management itself, but if you don't start embracing the right things, I can see WoC losing a lot.  

I hope you can appreciate the criticism while there are things I love about WoC, there is a long way to go.  I only want to see Dungeons and Dragons grow and be the most awesome RPG that anyone can play.  Wizards of the Coast can be that leader for the community.
It might not be in the format of a magazine, but it certainly is convenient. At first I was wary of the change in the policy about publication, but now I am very happy.

As far as the amount of content, I find that I already have a surfeit of content for the Fourth Edition. Most Dragon articles only get skimmed, and I have not even fully digested Heroes of the Feywild, let alone the Dungeon Survival Handbook.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
I agree with the OP.  I've commented on the state of the magazines before and won't go into it.  But Heroes of the Feywild and Dungeon Survival Handbook are not magazine content, as far as skimming through most articles that is because most are useless in comparison to the old magazines.
I'm a new D&D insider subscriber but an old school gamer since the original red box.  I'm rather disappointed in the way Dragon and Dungeon magazine is presented.  It's a bit of a shame to call it a magazine, it no longer meets that criteria.  No in print publication or digital version is created article by article while the month goes on.  Here it is almost half way in the month and there is 1 article available for Dragon "magazine".  I'm ok with WOC wanting to go digital but it's distributed in a sorry way.

I agree with you that there is not enough content, but I would hate it if they switched back to paper. Offer it as an option, maybe, but I want my Dungeon and Dragon magazines as a PDF!

Please consider distributing dragon/dungeon back to magazine format.  It's what the community of rpg has loved for many years and another mistake I think WOC has turned gamers away from the Dungeons and Dragons scene.  I would rather give 10 dollars a month for a print of Dragon magazine than all the benefits the D&D insider subscription offers.  I'm grateful that I have Kobold to fall back on.

I have to agree to a point, I just subscribed to DDI this month myself and one of the big reasons was access to the magazines. I don't need them to be printed on paper but a SINGLE PDF would be so much easier to read than a collection of articles some of which aren't even in PDF. I want to be able to read the magazine as a magazine off line and anywhere I am.

I agree it really isn't a magazine anymore no matter what they call it. More of a blog really. I am not going to use any of the other tools with any regularity certainly not enough to keep a subscription to DDI without the magazines.
I don't need them to be printed on paper but a SINGLE PDF would be so much easier to read than a collection of articles some of which aren't even in PDF. I want to be able to read the magazine as a magazine off line and anywhere I am.

i totally agree with this
The actual dragon and dungeon articles are in pdf form. All that's needed now is an end of the month compilation article to come back. Maybe with some extras that weren't up over the course of the month.

I'd much rather have new content on a weekly or daily basis than a block of stuff once a month.

Now, they do need to figure out how to make dragon crunchy enough to be worthwhile right now, with 4e basically not getting new stuff, for the most part, and Next just being playtest material.

I say, screw it, keep pumping out 4e stuff. Now is the perfect time to support undersupported classes, update races with new feats, abillity options and utillity powers, put out a new adventure module for Gamma World, etc.

Hell, put out at least one good adventure a month.

Throw out some mechanical support for different settings, like "subrace" options for Krynn halflings/kender, etc.

Have some fun, and put out a centaur race. Sure, it has no feet, and has to be large to make any sense. Whatever, just do it.

There is plenty of room left in 4e for fun stuff that would be worth looking at the mags for.

I'm just not playing often enough right now to for sure re-sub in two months, since I mostly play for the tools.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I have been a DDi subscriber for some time now, and would be willing to pay an additional 20% in order to recieve the physical magazines as part of my subscription. It is my opinion that the magazine's quality diminished greatly when physical editions were discontinued. I also found the transition to a "cloud based" character builder to also diminish the quality of the product we were recieving. 

Like the original poster, I can accept that certain changes are the primary course the company is choosing to take. However, I do feel that we all deserve better than what we have been getting since the physical magazines were discontinued; and feel that bringing it back will restore the higher expectations in production prior to release.
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
Sign In to post comments