Hopes for 5e Next

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

Couple things I would like to see in 5e Next are:

Quicker Battles

In 4e, every battle without fail takes over an hour, usually close to 2 hours. This is with very experienced players, both in general (most have played D&D over 15 years) and with 4e (Been playing it since it came out, so 4+ years). The group is a pretty well-oiled machine and work as a team.

The sad thing is within the first 20 minutes, the battle is pretty much decided. You know the heroes will win (barring an epic critical hot streak), but it still drags on and on for an hour or two. This is the point everyone becomes bored and goes on auto pilot. You have spent your fun encounter powers, you don’t want to waste dailies because the issue is not in doubt, so you plug away for hours. You have sized up the monsters and their powers, they have nothing that the defender and heal-bot can’t easily absorb. So all that’s left is long slog. Once in a while a natural “20” will break the monotony and spark a little excitement.

Better Modules

The running joke we have with 4e, especially if you play with the recent offical modules, is you take 10 steps and then roll for initiative. We are playing Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress now and its extremely linear and the 10 step and roll rule is in full effect. It has been a yawnfest so far.

-----

We have read the materials and are trying the playtest next week. We have high hopes. We enjoyed 3.5e and earlier versions many times more than we do 4e. The biggest gripes we had with 3.5e were the lack of options for fighters, a few players with the “his player is more powerful than mine” syndrome, and the complexity of things like grapple, etc.

One thing we have seen in all versions, is the core rules are usually tight and organized. So are the first 6 books or so, then the content quality drops off. It’s usually the later content that allows for the really broken crazy-powerful characters and weighs down and dilutes the rules.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">The sad thing is within the first 20 minutes, the battle is pretty much decided. You know the heroes will win (barring an epic critical hot streak),

At that point, you have the monsters retreat.  When it's obvious that the PCs have won, you can just wrap it up in a variety of ways.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
At that point, you have the monsters retreat.  When it's obvious that the PCs have won, you can just wrap it up in a variety of ways.

amen

i have started using morale in 4e at times

i completely agree with the op regarding 4e adventures. many 4e adventures are among the worst d&d products ever released, for any edition. although its the same exact authors working on 5e that wrote half the 4e adventures, i hope they decide to play it smart and update a lot of classics. one 'lost caverns of tsojcanth' is worth a thousand little melodramatic railroad adventures

Better Modules

The running joke we have with 4e, especially if you play with the recent offical modules, is you take 10 steps and then roll for initiative. We are playing Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress now and its extremely linear and the 10 step and roll rule is in full effect. It has been a yawnfest so far.

-----

this, a thousand times this. 

The one thing that 4e made it super easy to do was build basic combat encounters, and yet 4e modules (and Dungeon adventures) were nothing but a stream of basic combat encounters.  Ugh.

Personally, I think really well done modules will be more important to the success of D&D Next than the core rules themselves. 
Calador,

Thank you for summing up some of my biggest 4e concerns.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

The playtest suggests battles WILL be quicker. One of the very very few signs to me that 5th has a *chance* of being an improvement.

And, yes "10 steps = a new combat" is pretty common in those modules. Our DM had the bad guys retreat if we were punking them too quickly.
I for one will always spend good money on the 4 M's (Monster Manuals, Modules, Maps (good ones) and Minis). Player Handbook 3, etc. not so much. I especially like the high quality hardcover modules. If they want my money they will focus on the 4 M's once the core 6 books or so are covered.