Should Worldfire be banned in Commander/EDH?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I see the card is just to broken in Commander/EDH.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I see the card is just to broken in Commander/EDH.

At least it ends games...  I'm not sure, though, it isn't as easily maneuverable as say biorhythm.  Although, for example, you could do something like:  Tawnos's Coffin + Lavaborn Muse or Magmatic Force.

...Edit:  Lol.  OK, you could mix Jhoira in with this and ... yeah maybe it should go the way of Sway of the Stars.  Ironically, though, I hated Upheaval more than sway...

It's fine.

*starts building Vela*
LMAO.  Indeed.
It's fine.

*starts building Vela*

Worldfire wouldn't be legal in her deck.
Not so much broken as a really un-fun way to end a game. I would never play it for the same reason I never play Worldpurge or Karn's last ability.

That being said, I hope I get a foil one. =3
I don't play much Commander, but Worldfire is pretty similar to Sway of the Stars, so if the latter is banned, the former probably should be as well.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I don't play much Commander, but Worldfire is pretty similar to Sway of the Stars, so if the latter is banned, the former probably should be as well.

Probably true. The RC has said they will not ban it before it gets some play.

The thing with Sway of the Stars is you draw 7 cards and keep any floating mana, giving you the first chance (as the caster) to win the game.  With Worldfire you have no hand so a different setup will be required.  As for ban possibilities the 1 life is what will probably get this a spot on the list, though I would like to see it stay unbanned.
I can't remember if Worldgorger Dragon is banned or not (probably is) but I also imagine that this card might be a little too easy to abuse, and this also gives me an excuse to use a mono-red deck with some low drop commander and Burning Wish.
Definitely a possibilty of it being banned 

(at)MrEnglish22

I'm a little on the fence with this card. It does seem a little overpowered, and could make the game less fun to play. But I can see an interesting "race to the finish" element too. Especially for those games that take way too long.

The biggest downside this card has is that it's red. I'm not hating on red, I play it quite a bit. But it is "traditionally" the weakest color in EDH. That being said it's still a powerhouse. Give it time and see what happens.
massive influx of Near-death experience useage
It's fine.

*starts building Vela*

Worldfire wouldn't be legal in her deck.

But would be hilarious if played against a Vela deck.. which was his point.

I just wanted to make sure I have this correct as far as the resolving of Worldfire and Vela's Triggered ability. Still trying to learn everything I can about the stack, how it resolves, what/who has priority, etc. etc.

Worldfire resolves all at once, thus everyone's life total becomes one at the same time that vela's ability triggers. Then Vela's ability resolves, causing your opponents to lose?

I know it's a pretty basic scenario but for some reason I was confused on it at first.
Not exactly. Her ability will go on the stack after Worldfire resolves. Then each player will take damage simultaniously, and assuming everyone had atleast one ceature die, the game will draw.
R/U can make use of Day of the Dragons.
Not exactly. Her ability will go on the stack after Worldfire resolves. Then each player will take damage simultaniously, and assuming everyone had atleast one ceature die, the game will draw.

I think you need to read Vela the Night-Clad again. She only makes your opponents lose life, and you don't even need any other creatures to be on the battlefield when you cast Worldfire.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

How does the game draw? Vela the Night-Clad only hits opponents and only triggers for creatures you control, i understand how her ability goes on the stack after worldfire but am i missing something as to how the game draws?
massive influx of Near-death experience useage

How do you plan on having Near-Death Experience on the battlefield since it will be exiled by Worldfire?  Unless you intend on using shenanigans such as this.

I think you need to read Vela the Night-Clad again. She only makes your opponents lose life, and you don't even need any other creatures to be on the battlefield when you cast Worldfire.

Yep, misread it
Sign In to post comments