06/13/2012 BoaB: "Odric's Army"

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This article, especially the line about Primeval Titan being hard for Odric to beat, makes it seem like Jacob completely missed the part where Odric can simply make your board unblockable too. o_O
So tokens are wanting to be a constructed nightmare...
Yeah, I was wondering why no mention of the fact was made that Odric will often read "Your creatures are unblockable."
More like Clooney, Master Tactician.
(I'm guessing he hails from Innistrad, judging by his sword...)

As if there weren't enough token decks in my group...

There's a lot of stuff that looks like it's being pulled from Innistrad/Ravnica. Maybe it's a new theme, the core set coming out to reflect the sets it's in Standard with?

Though, that sword is freaking sweet. 
Could be a possible replacement for Hero of Bladehold.
Yeah, I was wondering why no mention of the fact was made that Odric will often read "Your creatures are unblockable."

pretty much this...

I'm always amazed how they don't seem to know what the cards do...this isn't going to be fun it kills people !!
So are Odric and the crusader left over Innistrad art, or what?

pretty much this...

I'm always amazed how they don't seem to know what the cards do...this isn't going to be fun it kills people !!

Yes, that was my thought too. It's certainly stronger in its printed form as an aggressive creature, as it's essentially giving white aggro decks access to a fairly powerful ability to push damage through.

But from a "creating cool combat interactions" point of view, I'd have preferred some kind of one-sided Invasion Plans sort of thing. 
Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander
Yeah, in my experience Master Warcraft generally leads to approximately "Your creatures are unblockable this turn" and this is approximately the same thing. Except you can use Master Warcraft on an opponent's turn so that in a multiplayer game you can cause terrible terrible things to happen.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I agree that this card will often just be "Your creatures are unblockable this turn", although it does have some added utility for killing a non-combat creature that can't tap at instant speed. Unfortunately, most "non-combat" creatures are mana producers, which just means that they'll tap pin response. I suppose you could kill a Blood Artist if you really neede to, but if you're attacking with 4 creatures (one of which has 3 power) you're probably just swinging for the kill.

The artwork on Odric, Master Tactician is pretty sweet. The artwork on Crusader of Odric... not so much.
Yeah, in my experience Master Warcraft generally leads to approximately "Your creatures are unblockable this turn" and this is approximately the same thing. Except you can use Master Warcraft on an opponent's turn so that in a multiplayer game you can cause terrible terrible things to happen.

Not really, as the controller of the attackers still chooses who to attack =(
Give him a reasonable army of Squirrels, Knights, and Clerics and he'll find a way to beat a weyr of dragons.

Hey, I now know of the existence of Dragonriders of Pern, thanks for that Jacob.

This guy seems arguably better than Predatory Rampage!

So are Odric and the crusader left over Innistrad art, or what?

Core Sets break the continuity of the game. They have no story, there are just made up of players from many different planes from many different times (always look at flavor text closer to notice it references a place you've never heard of). Most importantly, Core Sets are representations of the standard format they are wedged between (so they give hints about the future set, as well).

"You choose which creatures attack this turn." But it is true that if they want, they don't have to attack the Tamiyo at 8 counters if they don't want to.

Eh. In my playgroup it's a houserule that the person casting it also chooses who the creates attack. And by "it's a houserule" I mean "Nobody had noticed that before"
Anyone else think that they're trying to make soldier tribal relevant? I.E. Captain of the Watch?
Anyone else think that they're trying to make soldier tribal relevant? I.E. Captain of the Watch?

Talk about a one-two punch! Those two cards together is basically game! With the crusader, it's 19 damage assuming there is nothing else attacking and there is no pumping happening. That might just be powerful enough to merit actually playing Captain of the Watch!

Momus, the Greek god of sarcasm

Pray to him.

Talk about a one-two punch! Those two cards together is basically game! With the crusader, it's 19 damage assuming there is nothing else attacking and there is no pumping happening. That might just be powerful enough to merit actually playing Captain of the Watch!

Alright, let's talk about a one-two punch: You're relying on a four mana creature and a six mana creature both A)Hitting the battlefield and B)Attacking (Along with two other friends). If you can manage that, you're basically winning the game anyways.
I didn't get to read the article this morning...I really like the art for the Crusader.

Odric's sword is SICK!
The deck really feels like it should have Champion of the Parish
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
Why is Oblivion Ring a safer choice than Revoke Existance???    I would think that Revoke Existance is better since it is cheaper, and once it's successfully cast, the target is gone forever exiled.  With Oblivion Ring, any disenchant will bring back the exile card.   Then you have to hope that it's not a Titan with a comes into play ability.....

Thanks.......was it a typo maybe? or have I missed something?
Why is Oblivion Ring a safer choice than Revoke Existance???    I would think that Revoke Existance is better since it is cheaper, and once it's successfully cast, the target is gone forever exiled.  With Oblivion Ring, any disenchant will bring back the exile card.   Then you have to hope that it's not a Titan with a comes into play ability.....

Because Oblivion Ring works on all non-land permanents, while Revoke Existence only works on artifacts and enchantments.  For main deck, a Revoke Existence will often rot in your hand while you're getting your face punched in by a creature, while Oblivion Ring can take almost anything out.  Its simply more likely that you'll face threats that the Oblivion Ring can deal with (however imperfectly), than the threats that the Revoke Existence can deal with (however perfectly).

There's a lot of stuff that looks like it's being pulled from Innistrad/Ravnica. Maybe it's a new theme, the core set coming out to reflect the sets it's in Standard with?

Though, that sword is freaking sweet. 

Ive seen that on more and more cards now that you mentioned it, its on the */* chicks hat.

Also they are one weapon away from it being the renaissance era, another core set that is unimpressive.
Learn about autocard here ==> [*c]Lightning Bolt[/*c] Remove "*" and you get Lightning Bolt. IMAGE(http://internetometer.com/image/27264.png) Keep extended alive for future generations so they dont have to sell out for modern. "If there is such a thing as too much power, I have not discovered it." —Volrath

Because Oblivion Ring works on all non-land permanents, while Revoke Existence only works on artifacts and enchantments.  For main deck, a Revoke Existence will often rot in your hand while you're getting your face punched in by a creature, while Oblivion Ring can take almost anything out.  Its simply more likely that you'll face threats that the Oblivion Ring can deal with (however imperfectly), than the threats that the Revoke Existence can deal with (however perfectly).

Yeah, the ability to take out creatures and planeswalkers is pretty huge.
Thank you Blarghy, Greg,

I suppose that I underestimated the necessity to taking out creatuers/planeswalkers....I was thinking that with Odric taking our opponents non-mana making creatures out of the game, and gimping the mana-creatures, it wouldn't be used much for that and was placed in the deck specifically for sword-hate.  

But I suppose, extra utilities helps prevent us from holding dead cards....
Sign In to post comments