Playing over Skype or Video Chat

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello!

I was wondering if you would share your experiences with players at your table using skype or other video chat software to play in your games?

Thank you!
ive been running games twice a week on the ddi vt for over a year and a half (hard to believe time has gone by that fast). ive gotten to play with people from all over the world, it works with the ddi tools, and i get to play other game systems with it, other versions of d&d and my ongoing will-it-ever-happen cthulhu campaign.

i highly highly recommend getting a ddi sub and checking out the table

Two different methods of remote play:

• I played for a few months in frothsof's VTT game and it was great! I had to bow out because my life had become too hectic.

• Last summer we played D&D with a friend in Israel. We used Skype with no problems.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I've played with a player over skype for close to 3 years now.  He had to move to Toronto in order to further his schooling so we just had him join us via webcam on skype.  It's worked perfectly fine.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

How do you work Dicerolling?

Hola!

Ok, for me at least it´s working playing through Skype or -i recently found- Facebook video chat. As a matter of fact, FB Chat is working better for us, more smooth. I have been playing with my old gaming party for almost 5 years (i live in spain and they in méxico... 20 years  playing together is hard to say goodbye) and i have to say that our "biggest" problem was the hour difference... At first was kinda odd but in a couple of sessions we were used to play this way.

Our Dm has a DDI so he can have the PC´s right on check... anyway there are also some tablet apps for Character sheet.

About the Dicerolling... i just used to bend over a little bit my laptop cam and throwing the dices... now i can use a tablet app to show the throwing & results (nice free apps around there)

Hoping you might finf this helful i wish you the best for this "long distance" play... and of course... sorry for the awful english (not my native languaje)

Cheers

We very successfully use Skype nowadays for our Fourth Edition game. Mostly we rely on the honour system for dice rolls, although I do angle my camera down to show my dice as a courtesy. Just not sure how clear they appear with the angle.

We use Google+ for our Labyrinth Lord game. I think Google+ is a bit better: much more utility, especially if you know how to use it. There are some other neat programs which work well: one player uses a sort of eath-a-sketch prgoram to doodle maps. I forget its name however.

I checked out the Virual tabletop, but it is way more complicated. Maps need to be prepared. Everyone needs to subscribe. Numbers must be entered, et cetera. Stick with Skype or Google or something like them. 
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
How do you work Dicerolling?

I trust that my player at the other end can roll his dice and read them just as easily as if he were sitting at the table.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I play my weekly campaign using the Google+ Hangout feature - it's way better than skype, in that it's free to have a conference call with 4+ people. 

It also has some neat features - One standout is the "screenshare" feature, which I use to show handouts, crudely drawn maps, monster positions, anything I need to honestly. It lets you use illustrations and diagrams in a way that even a face-to-face gmae can't replicate.

We do everything description based, and throw dice in the background or just use an online diceroller.   

So far, it's been one of the best D&D experiences I've ever had. All the convenience of a Face-to face game, with the utility of a pbp or some other type of game.

We are using skype combined with maptools. Its a free shared game experience which cost you nothing, while still being very powerful.
rptools.net/
ive been running games twice a week on the ddi vt for over a year and a half (hard to believe time has gone by that fast). ive gotten to play with people from all over the world, it works with the ddi tools, and i get to play other game systems with it, other versions of d&d and my ongoing will-it-ever-happen cthulhu campaign.

I've only recently joined DDI.   I've had quite a bit of fun as a player at some VT games (thanks Plaguescarred!).   However, I am the DM for my local group of players.    Is there a tutorial to show how to set up the VT as a DM?

I've only recently joined DDI.   I've had quite a bit of fun as a player at some VT games (thanks Plaguescarred!).   However, I am the DM for my local group of players.    Is there a tutorial to show how to set up the VT as a DM?

Tell me, does it require a very fast computer with a powerful graphics card to use the Virtual Tabletop? My five year old computer can easily use Skype and Google+, but it labours like a steam locomotive when I try to create pdfs from the on-line Character Builder.

Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
It doesn't.   And the character builder itself, in my experience, tends to be pretty slow.

there is a vt wiki that has a lot of tips, but i think its easy to teach yourself

as for the vt speed in comparison with the cb, the online cb is slow as molasses but the vt runs on java and is quick. the vt can pull pcs and monsters straight from the tools though so they are symbiotic
We've been playing online for over two years now, and have tried a variety of tools.

Skype - Works fairly well. Has screen sharing, but only in a 1-on-1 chat (last I checked), so we'd all gather at one house while the one out of towner came online. We had issues with it crashing somewhat often during long sessions. Not sure if it was our end or Skype that caused it. You can get multiperson with a premium membership, but it's not cheap so we never tried it.

Google+ Hangouts - We migrated to this when it became available, and it's way better. Screen sharing is better, as you can share a particular window or program instead of your whole screen. Makes it way easier on the DM since he can have notes open without them being seen. Multiperson chat, for free.

Roll20 - We use this now. A virtual tabletop currently in open beta. Pretty much amazing from my experience thus far. Standard video chat starts fine but lags horribly as the session goes on. However, they recently added the ability to launch Roll20 as an app in G+ Hangouts, using Google's video chat plugin, which is pretty much perfect. Also lets you see the DM in video chat. It's what we're currently using. Currently in beta, so there are some bugs, but they're constantly rolling out improvements and new features. I won't get into all of them as I'm not here to advertise. I just find it to be an amazing tool.
I would actually like to just jump in here and ask if anybody has a game via skype or google plus that would accept a new member.  I have never done it before and am currently running my local game, so I would very much enjoy the opportunity of playing on the other side of the screen.  I have found myself with a little more free time so if there is anybody here just send me a message or something. =D thanks.

Hey guys, have you tried other web video chat options like WebEx, GoMeetNow, Gotomeeting, RHUB etc. for playing games with your players? If any one has tried, kindly share your experiences.

Sign In to post comments