Necro deck

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
I put together the prototype for a Vintage deck themed around filling your graveyard and reanimating massive creatures, Your feedback would be appreciated, But please bare in mind that I do not want to spend a ton of money.
DECKLIST:

2X Dance of the Dead

4X Animate Dead

4X Entomb

4X Buried Alive

3X Exhume

2X Reanimate or Dark Ritual If I can afford it.

4X Coffin Queen or Doomed Necromancer

1X Sheoldred, Whispering One

1X Visara the Dreadful

4X Hypnox

3X Pestilence Demon

1X Griselbrand

1X Balthor the Defiled

24X Swamp

trying to beat someone to death with creatures in type 1 (vintage) doesn't work out 97% of the time. Try thinking of goons to abuse like Worldgorger Dragon, Animate Dead on him and your lands start jumping in and out of play. Tap those lands every time they hit the battlefield = infinite mana + Red X instant of your choice + opponents face = win.

note a well built vintage deck with have a number of answers to this, but most pack more ways to bone creatures that want to attack.  

<----- Loser.

trying to beat someone to death with creatures in type 1 (vintage) doesn't work out 97% of the time. Try thinking of goons to abuse like Worldgorger Dragon, Animate Dead on him and your lands start jumping in and out of play. Tap those lands every time they hit the battlefield = infinite mana + Red X instant of your choice + opponents face = win.

note a well built vintage deck with have a number of answers to this, but most pack more ways to bone creatures that want to attack.  

Good idea man, I'm kind of new to type 1 so I didn't know that, But listen to this turn one combo: Swamp then Dark Ritual use the 3 mana to Entomb Hypnox Then cast Exhume Or some similar spell, The result: Your opponent has no hand and you have an 8/8 flyer on turn one, I could run both combos.
P.S. Red Sun's Zenith Is cheaper than Volcanic Geyser But a bit slower so I don't think it would work, But I had to mention it. (Geyser is an instant and Zenith is a sorcery, Though I prefer the Zenith.)
P.P.S Also Comet Storm.
Revised deck list:
2X Dance of the Dead

4X Animate Dead

4X Entomb

4X Buried Alive

3X Exhume

4X Volcanic Geyser

2X Reanimate or Dark Ritual If I can afford it.

3X Coffin Queen or Doomed Necromancer

4X Hypnox

4X Worldgorger Dragon

14X Swamp

10X Mountain 

Drop the queens and necromancers, they will die before they can be activated, probably sent to the farm.

You need an instant to break the dragon's loop, or else it goes on into infinity.

You should also consider alt win conditions, there can be alot of graveyard hate in sideboards.

Look into Tutors if you can afford them. Rituals are a 4 of period you need the speed. Also think about ways to deal with blue or it will own you, there's more blue players in vintage then anything else. You'd probably be best to run some yourself or have ways to call it out of thier hands so your animate dead will resolve.        

<----- Loser.

Drop the queens and necromancers, they will die before they can be activated, probably sent to the farm.

You need an instant to break the dragon's loop, or else it goes on into infinity.

You should also consider alt win conditions, there can be alot of graveyard hate in sideboards.

Look into Tutors if you can afford them. Rituals are a 4 of period you need the speed. Also think about ways to deal with blue or it will own you, there's more blue players in vintage then anything else. You'd probably be best to run some yourself or have ways to call it out of thier hands so your animate dead will resolve.        

Can you give me some ideas for alt win conditions?
Also how much would demonic tutor cost, As I don't want to spend a fortune.
A revised Tutor is around $6, a V Tutor about $12 and up. ( you want both)

If you run enough stuff like Duress and/or counter spells, you won't need to worry about alt win cons, just remember black can't deal with artifacts and enchantments so if someone drops something like Planar Void your boned.

Just remember well built vintage decks are very fast. Check out the link below to one of my old decks to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758....

<----- Loser.

A revised Tutor is around $6, a V Tutor about $12 and up. ( you want both)

If you run enough stuff like Duress and/or counter spells, you won't need to worry about alt win cons, just remember black can't deal with artifacts and enchantments so if someone drops something like Planar Void your boned.

Just remember well built vintage decks are very fast. Check out the link below to one of my old decks to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758....

Well i'm sure I can afford those tutors, The only question is how many of each should I run?
Also that deck of yours looks kicka ss man, It must have been expensive though. 
You can only run 1 of each of the tutors they are restricted.

thanks, yeah it was about $6,000 back then (deck) it'd be at least $12,000 nowadays I think (everything was alpha/beta) 

<----- Loser.

thanks, yeah it was about $6,000 back then (deck) it'd be at least $12,000 nowadays I think (everything was alpha/beta) 

That is a very expensive deck man, Where did you find the money to make it? Or did you just put together the decklist and not make it?
Revised decklist 2:

2X Dance of the Dead

4X Animate Dead

4X Entomb

4X Hymn to Tourach

4X Duress

4X Volcanic Geyser

2X Dark Ritual

4X Hypnox

4X Worldgorger Dragon

1X Demonic Tutor

1X Vampiric Tutor

14X Swamp

10X Mountain
I had that deck, and many before it. I had many cards from the very beginning, I also bought, sold and traded throughout the 90's.

<----- Loser.

I had that deck, and many before it. I had many cards from the very beginning, I also bought, sold and traded throughout the 90's.

Well, That explains it man.
Also, What do think of the changes I made to my deck? 

That is a very expensive deck man, Where did you find the money to make it? Or did you just put together the decklist and not make it?
Revised decklist 2:

2X Dance of the Dead

4X Animate Dead

4X Entomb

4X Hymn to Tourach

4X Duress

4X Volcanic Geyser

2X Dark Ritual

4X Hypnox

4X Worldgorger Dragon

1X Demonic Tutor

1X Vampiric Tutor

14X Swamp

10X Mountain

I count 58 cards, so I'd run 2 more Dark Rituals.

Drop the Dance of the Deads for Necromancy's they are far more useful since you can flash a dragon out (if you have a geyser in your hand it's game over) and never need to pay an untap cost.

Remember your playing a reanimator deck so your goons don't have to be black or red (sideboarding can be hilarious in these kind of decks) also you might want to draw more reanimate spells and fill up your yard, or have removal. The options are almost endless.

Also streamline your manapool with things like Dragonskull Summit, though Badlands would be infinitly better (but expensive). Bloodstained Mire gets you what you need and gets a land out of the deck too. Even Shivan Gorge could be a win con with the dragon combo though not helpful in color production.  

<----- Loser.

You should think about Buried Alive, the colossus needs to go, you can't reanimate him. Primeval Titan could replace a geyser since your running gorge, just think first turn buried alive then bring him out and the gorge + mountain hits the table, followed by dragon "thanks for coming out"

Protean Hulk is lol's, if you have goons within the 6 mana range in the sideboard  "Oh, please don't kill him that would break my friggin heart!"

for sideboard look for guys with crushing comes into play effects like Crator Hellion and so on.

My renanimator decks always ran buried alives + entombs, you need to get what you want fast.

<----- Loser.

<----- Loser.

You should think about Buried Alive, the colossus needs to go, you can't reanimate him. Primeval Titan could replace a geyser since your running gorge, just think first turn buried alive then bring him out and the gorge + mountain hits the table, followed by dragon "thanks for coming out"

Protean Hulk is lol's, if you have goons within the 6 mana range in the sideboard  "Oh, please don't kill him that would break my friggin heart!"

for sideboard look for guys with crushing comes into play effects like Crator Hellion and so on.

My renanimator decks always ran buried alives + entombs, you need to get what you want fast.

I'm not sure what I should cut to make room for Buried Alive, I'm thinking of cutting two Worldgorgers, Do you think I can get away with that?

Sideboard: 

1X Crater Hellion

1X Protean Hulk

1X Malfegor

1X Novablast Wurm

1X Flayer of the Hatebound

1X Massacre Wurm

Any more suggestions man?
I'd say run at least 2 dragons, incase one gets Plowed or something. I useaully ran only 20 lands since my casting costs are basically 3 tops and 4 rituals floated around.

<----- Loser.

Ok man, I cut 4 lands and added 4 copy's of Buried Alive, I also pulled 1 Worldgorger for an extra copy of Necromancy.
What do you think about my sideboard? 
give'er a try.

<----- Loser.

give'er a try.

Will do man, Stay tuned for how the deck performs.
Yesterday I bought almost all of the decklist, The shop had most of the cards but I did not manage to get all of them, Here is a list of what I still need:

Primeval Titan

Iona, Shield of Emeria

Vampiric Tutor

Entomb 

I can run some cards from my sideboard until I find Iona and the Titan, And I can probably find a good substitute for the Tutor but the Entomb's are going to be a problem.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" class="mceContentBody " contenteditable="true" />Good idea man, I'm kind of new to type 1 so I didn't know that, But listen to this turn one combo: Swamp then Dark Ritual use the 3 mana to Entomb Hypnox Then cast Exhume Or some similar spell, The result: Your opponent has no hand and you have an 8/8 flyer on turn one, I could run both combos.

reread hypnox
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" class="mceContentBody " contenteditable="true" />Good idea man, I'm kind of new to type 1 so I didn't know that, But listen to this turn one combo: Swamp then Dark Ritual use the 3 mana to Entomb Hypnox Then cast Exhume Or some similar spell, The result: Your opponent has no hand and you have an 8/8 flyer on turn one, I could run both combos.

reread hypnox

Oh man I missed that, Looks like I need to find a replacement then.
should look into creatures like shivan hellkite or Kumano, Master Yamabushi
should look into creatures like shivan hellkite or Kumano, Master Yamabushi

I see where you are coming from but no, I already have 3 copy's of Volcanic Geyser and a Shivan Gorge and so far that is enough.
I'm thinking more along the lines of Sheoldred, Whispering One or Tariel, Reckoner of Souls, What I really need help with is finding a way to make up for the fact that I can not get Entomb or Vampiric Tutor.
Sign In to post comments