Ghostaway + Phage the untouchable

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I play a ghave commander deck in which I have a Phage the untouchable, the other day we were playing a four player game and it was down to me and my other friend but neither side was clearly winning except I had phage the untouchable on the field and my opponent had Adarkar Valkyrie out. I also had my commander, ghave out and I played overwhelming stampede and swung with a 9/9 Phage the untouchable, to which my friend said he blocked my phage with Adarkar Valkyrie and then played Ghost-away to remove his creature from combat, thus negating the damage and then the turn after killing me, was this legitimate?
Sorry about not providing links for the cards, its been a long time since i've used the mtg forums and things have changed.
Edit: Never mind. Missed the Stampede.
[c]Phage the Untouchable[/c] => Phage the Untouchable
Ghostway

that is legal play
Phage's trigger can be responded to, for example with Ghostway

it would be different if Phage had deathtouch, that cannot be responded to.
proud member of the 2011 community team
Card links still work the same. [c]Adarkar Valkyrie[/c] -> Adarkar Valkyrie

If you have a Phage the Untouchable, pumped with Overwhelming Stampede, she'll have trample, which means that blocking and blinking will let all the damage through. Your opponent will lose.
All Generalizations are Bad
So none of it's damage would go through even though it was a 9/9 trample being blocked by a 4/5?
I play a ghave commander deck in which I have a Phage the untouchable, the other day we were playing a four player game and it was down to me and my other friend but neither side was clearly winning except I had phage the untouchable on the field and my opponent had Adarkar Valkyrie out. I also had my commander, ghave out and I played overwhelming stampede and swung with a 9/9 Phage the untouchable, to which my friend said he blocked my phage with Adarkar Valkyrie and then played Ghost-away to remove his creature from combat, thus negating the damage and then the turn after killing me, was this legitimate?
Sorry about not providing links for the cards, its been a long time since i've used the mtg forums and things have changed.

No. When a blocking creature is removed from combat (leaving the battlefield with Ghostway counts), the creature it blocked won't deal any combat damage... UNLESS it has trample, which Overwhelming Stampede grants. Phage will trample 9 damage over the nonexistant creature, killing your opponent.

Edit: Well, it's a legitimate play. They'll just still die.
Rules Nut Advisor
I think the first two responders must have missed the fact that the stampede gives trample.
All Generalizations are Bad
So none of it's damage would go through even though it was a 9/9 trample being blocked by a 4/5?

all 9 of its damage goes through because it has Trample

without Trample Phage would not deal any damage (so for example you would not gain any life if it had Lifelink)
Thank you enigma and Transcient- your posts were useful whereas the first posts dismayed me :P
I think the first two responders must have missed the fact that the stampede gives trample.

yes I did
I was concentrating on saving the blocker ;)
«Why care about the pawns while the King yet reigns?»

Sorry we had to increase taxes: my limo needs new tires. (eh! they were two weeks old)

Sign In to post comments