Bear Deck Assistance

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

One thing I've noticed is that there are quite a few Bears in the game of Magic, though they haven't exactly been released in the same set.  They're fairly reasonable creatures - 2/2 for 1G most of the time - but I don't see them played too often.  At that cost and with the token gen they have (albeit their token gen is slow, but it still exists in the form of Bearscape, Caller of the Claw, Grizzly Fate, Kamahl's Summons, Words of Wilding, and if you want to get technical Water Gun Balloon Game), they could make a somewhat feasible Overrun/Beatdown deck.  Maybe throw a Kamahl, Fist of Krosa or Garruk Wildspeaker to aid in the head bashing and Bear trampling, as well as possibly some tribal support cards like Door of Destinies, Tribal Unity, Coat of Arms, Alpha Status, Descendants' Path, Reins of the Vinesteed, and what have you.  I know someone who would get a kick out of a deck like this - even if it wasn't very competetive.  I'm wondering what your opinions are or if you can think of any changes that should/could be made to either make this deck incredibly awesome or just plain fun to play.  I know Ulvenwald Tracker would produce a hilarious visual, but I can't figure out what I would want to take out for him.  :/  Here's my makeshift deck:

Creatures (22)
2x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
2x Baru, Fist of Krosa
3x Ashcoat Bear
3x Bear Cub
2x Druid's Familiar
2x Razorclaw Bear
4x Werebear
4x Essence Warden

Other Spells (14)
3x Prey Upon (Suggested by Mesmerist)
2x Beastmaster Ascension
2x Door of Destinies
2x Words of Wilding
3x Primal Rage
2x Predatory Focus

Planeswalkers (2)
2x Garruk Wildspeaker

Land (22)
4x Oran-Rief the Vastwood
1x Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
17x Forest

Side deck
3x Naturalize (Suggested by Mesmerist)
3x Beast Within
3x Grizzly Fate
3x Ulvenwald Tracker
3x Slate of Ancestry (Suggester by Mesmerist)

I think I'll call it "Mauled by Bears" or something to that effect...

Last Edit - 12Jun12

Custom Races
Kt'Lahn (Last Update: Oct 22, 2010)
Noble tiger people who will do almost anything to maintain honor.

Custom Classes
Soulforged (Last Update: Jul 23, 2010)
Incarnum Defender

PEACH if you would.

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

One thing I've noticed is that there are quite a few Bears in the game of Magic, though they haven't exactly been released in the same set.  They're fairly reasonable creatures - 2/2 for 1G most of the time - but I don't see them played too often.  At that cost and with the token gen they have (albeit their token gen is slow, but it still exists in the form of Bearscape, Caller of the Claw, Grizzly Fate, Kamahl's Summons, Words of Wilding, and if you want to get technical Water Gun Balloon Game), they could make a somewhat feasible Overrun/Beatdown deck.  Maybe throw a Kamahl, Fist of Krosa or Garruk Wildspeaker to aid in the head bashing and Bear trampling, as well as possibly some tribal support cards like Door of Destinies, Tribal Unity, Coat of Arms, Alpha Status, Descendant's Path, Reins of the Vinesteed, and what have you.  I know someone who would get a kick out of a deck like this - even if it wasn't very competetive.  I'm wondering what your opinions are or if you can think of any changes that should/could be made to either make this deck incredibly awesome or just plain fun to play.  I know Ulvenwald Tracker would produce a hilarious visual, but I can't figure out what I would want to take out for him.  :/  Here's my makeshift deck:

Creatures (22)
2x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
2x Baru, Fist of Krosa
3x Ashcoat Bear
3x Bear Cub
2x Druid's Familiar
2x Razorclaw Bear
4x Werebear
4x Essence Warden

Other Spells (14)
3x Naturalize
2x Beastmaster Ascension
2x Door of Destinies
2x Words of Wilding
3x Primal Rage
2x Predatory Focus

Planeswalkers (2)
2x Garruk Wildspeaker

Land (22)
4x Oran-Reef, the Vastwood
18x Forest

I think I'll call it "Mauled by Bears" or something to that effect...

It looks like a very fun and flavorful deck the only few things I can think of off the top of my head are putting the naturalizes into the sideboard and maindecking Prey Upon or Beast Within. Swap out a forest for Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers for Khamal and Baru, and maybe try Slate of Ancestry? Replenishes your hand and helps with the threshold on werebear. The only thing is you have a couple of very mana hungry cards and only 6 mana accelerators and 22 lands, not sure how well your mana situation is going to work out but I could be overthinking it. Hope that helps.
It looks like a very fun and flavorful deck the only few things I can think of off the top of my head are putting the naturalizes into the sideboard and maindecking Prey Upon or Beast Within. Swap out a forest for Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers for Khamal and Baru, and maybe try Slate of Ancestry? Replenishes your hand and helps with the threshold on werebear. The only thing is you have a couple of very mana hungry cards and only 6 mana accelerators and 22 lands, not sure how well your mana situation is going to work out but I could be overthinking it. Hope that helps.

Interesting ideas - some of those might work rather well.    As soon as I get this built and everything, I'll try out your suggestions.  ^ ^
Custom Races
Kt'Lahn (Last Update: Oct 22, 2010)
Noble tiger people who will do almost anything to maintain honor.

Custom Classes
Soulforged (Last Update: Jul 23, 2010)
Incarnum Defender

PEACH if you would.

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.