Updating My Realm Razer Deck

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm not sure if this is where this deck belongs, I'm not very informed about the formats but I didn't see any of my cards banned from this one. My friends aren't picky about formats when we play so I'm willing to try and make this deck as powerful as possible in any format.

The deck as it stands is somewhat of a jack of all trades deck capable of poking, beating the opponent down, and provides a lot of field control. It's extremely consistant capable of surviving any situation other than not pulling any spells but it's potential seems to cap out at being moderate to high as opposed to the extremely focused potentials of my friend's decks. I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to optimize my deck and make it more powerful.

Main Deck 60 (36 spells/24 lands)
Creatures:
Bloom Tender x4
Cerodon Yearling x4
Woolly Thoctar x4
Bloodbraid Elf x4
Realm Razer x4

Non-Creature Spells:
Lightning Bolt x4
Naturalize x2 => Qasali Pridemage x2
Predator's Strike x2
Rampant Growth x4
Oblivion Ring x4

Lands:
Mountain x5
Forest x6
Plains x5
Jungle Shrine x4
Terramorphic Expanse x4

Side Deck 15
Creatures:
Spellbreaker Behemoth x4
Thornling x1
Spearbreaker Behemoth x1
Godsire x1

Non-Creature Spells:
Predator's Strike x2
Naturalize x2 => x4
Titanic Ultimatum x4 => x2
Well first off, what is the goal of your deck? I can't really see why you would choose to play Realm Razer in this deck, and while Bloom Tender is nice when it gives you lots of mana, that requires lots of permanents.

Secondly, your sideboard has 7 creatures why? They're also all prohibitively expensive if you aren't planning to play some serious ramp spells. Titanic Ultimatum is also way too expensive, and it doesn't really help. When building your sideboard, ask "when am I going to want this card in my deck?" If there's some quirky deck at your local playgroup that for some reason Godsire and Spearbreak are good against, then I guess it's worth playing them, but I can't think of many situations where that would apply. Predator's Strike also doesn't benefit you from your sideboard, and you already have 2 Naturalize mainboard.

I would suggest swapping Naturalize for either Qusali Pridemage or Harmonic Sliver, as they're creatures that can remove artifacts and enchantments.

Oh, and this is a Modern deck.

(at)MrEnglish22

Well first off, what is the goal of your deck? I can't really see why you would choose to play Realm Razer in this deck, and while Bloom Tender is nice when it gives you lots of mana, that requires lots of permanents.

Secondly, your sideboard has 7 creatures why? They're also all prohibitively expensive if you aren't planning to play some serious ramp spells. Titanic Ultimatum is also way too expensive, and it doesn't really help. When building your sideboard, ask "when am I going to want this card in my deck?" If there's some quirky deck at your local playgroup that for some reason Godsire and Spearbreak are good against, then I guess it's worth playing them, but I can't think of many situations where that would apply. Predator's Strike also doesn't benefit you from your sideboard, and you already have 2 Naturalize mainboard.

I would suggest swapping Naturalize for either Qusali Pridemage or Harmonic Sliver, as they're creatures that can remove artifacts and enchantments.

Oh, and this is a Modern deck.

I'm glad to know what format this deck is in at least XD

The idea of the deck is to get a realm razer and at least a bloomtender out. With just a cerodon yearling on the field the bloomtenders are at maximum effect so I'm not sure why you said they take a lot of permanants. The deck is very good at gathering mana to do this fairly quickly so I either have good casting power or I can quickly lock down my opponent before he gets anything out. From there I can rebuild my lands very fast and begin poking or beating down my opponent while using the lightning bolts and oblivion rings to slow down his attempts to rebuild. Often times by the time an opponent gets enough land out to start catching up I've either hindered him greatly or gotten another realm razer out and locked down the game.

The sideboard I'm very iffy about, I rarely swap anything out especially the titanic ultimatums. I didn't build the sideboard myself, and I really don't know what else my deck could use. I keep the spellbreakers in in case I have to face a counter heavy blue deck, I like the naturalize/predator's strike so I can alter my focus on either locking down artifacts and enchantments (very handy against one of my new recent opponents who runs an equip kitty deck) or focusing on creature combat. I use the godsire from time to time but outside that I feel my sideboard isn't very useful. I do like the look of the Qasali Pridemage and I think that will help even though i'll be losing the instant and it'll be slightly harder to cast with mana (not greatly so). I'll try to find some of those and replace the naturalizes with it. I feel like the harmonic sliver just isn't worth it in comparison, it's a weaker creature and doesn't offer any other form of help to my deck, plus I feel it's more vulnerable to my friends trying to rule it into uselessness.

Also is having creatures in your sideboard bad? Or is that not enough? So far these are the types of decks I play against most:
2 reanimator decks (put things in your graveyard and bring them back quickly)
1 mill/discard deck with megrims/liliana's caress and ensnaring bridges, he basically forces you to constantly discard and take damage for it while milling you quickly and preventing you from attacking.
2 kitty eqiup decks (lots of leonins and equips, the scary one can make me mill 20 cards and offers all sorts of protections)
And then my last opponent has a bunch of decks that use a lot of tiny creatures/token + enchants and infinite mana combos and instant win conditions and bs like that. I think something along the lines of a Savage Twiser in some form or other will easily do more damage to him tha me.
Sign In to post comments