Contest - Xenomorph

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
With the exception of a great quote from Lawrence of Arabia ("There is nothing in the dessert, and no man needs 'nothing.'") Prometheus was a massive let down.  But, it has gotten me re-watching the original Alien, where Sigourney Weaver efficiently rocks my world.

Anyway.  There are a lot of contests going on right now, but I haven't hosted one in well over a month.  So...

Criteria = A card inspired by the Alien franchise, or a card bashing Prometheus.  Go heavy on the references; I want them.

Special Note = Normally I don't approve of using creature types that don't already exist; for this contest, I will make an exception for the creature type "Xenomorph."  Note however that "Alien" is not an existing creature type, and it will be grounds for disqualification if used.  Also note, you don't have to make a creature.

Grading = Standard interests of balance, color-appropriateness, diction, etc.  As always with my contests, flavor is important and given extra weight in the grading process.

Time = My schedule is simultaneously suffocating and fluid.  It'll depend on how things go.  Shortest, contest will be open 20 hours; longest, no more than 48.  I'll try to give a few-hour warning before closing.
Gutsy Survivor
Creature - Human Soldier
Firebreathing
If Gutsy Survivor is the only
creature you control it has:
" - Exile target
creature."
1/1

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Facehugger |
Creature-Xenomorph
0/2
You may choose not to untap ~ during your untap step
: Tap targetted creature, For as long as ~ remains tapped, targetted creature doesn't untap. At the beginning of each of your draw steps, put a -1/-1 counter on ~. When ~ leaves the battlefield, if it had a -1/-1 counter on it, targetted creature is destroyed and you put a 1/1 black Chestburster token into play under your control, otherwise the targetted creature is destroyed.

Get it off! GET IT OFF!!!!!

First off, I don't know how to make the tap symbol, if somebody could help me out there it would be appreciated. So, pretty straightforward if you know how Facehuggers work. Leaps onto face, incapacitates it's victim, impregnates them then dies. If it's removed the incapacitated creature dies anyway, but if it was let to sit long enough, it dies anyway and you get a "cute" little baby killing machine :D.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Chestburster
Creature-Xenomorph
Flash, Haste
As an additional cost to casting ~, sacrifice a creature.  ~ gains all abilities of the sacrificed creature.
Come on man, the food ain't that bad...
0/1
Well, had certainly hoped for me interest...  Unless picks back up, will close in three hours.

sage62= can do tap symbol with " : tap : " without the quotation marks or spaces
Prometheus was the best movie ever.
Well, had certainly hoped for me interest...  Unless picks back up, will close in three hours.

sage62= can do tap symbol with " : tap : " without the quotation marks or spaces

Thanks, kind of disappointed, was hoping to see what else people were gonna come up with.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

Prometheus was ****ing terrible.

Contest closed.
Grades tonight. 
I just saw Prometheus today. The storyline was terrible (but at least it kind of explains why the xenomorph queen started out with a human-like form...at the very end). It's also terribly inaccurate as far as how DNA actually works.

But, as far as the action and the attempt at introducing the xenomorphs, it was a pretty awesome movie. I also appreciated how they actually made the ship look a lot like the one that was in the original Alien, but with more detail and better visual effects. Most prequels have this annoying habit of "updating" everything involved, making the original series/movie look ridiculously crappy in comparison.

But yeah, I missed the contest.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

How was the story terrible at all? Kids these days are just bad.
I just saw Prometheus today. The storyline was terrible (but at least it kind of explains why the xenomorph queen started out with a human-like form...at the very end). It's also terribly inaccurate as far as how DNA actually works.

Every movie has its plot holes. Even the original beloved Alien(s).
/dealwithititsamovieandstillnotasswisscheeseastheharrypotterfranchise

Correct. 
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Basically prometheus was worthless to anyone without a massive hardon for the Alien series.

I was really hoping for any remotely interesting or novel idea concerning human origin, especially when they kick the film off with Engineers seeding the planet. But then that was it. No new ideas. Just a dumb Alien origin/prequel derpfest.

There were some really good ideas for characters, but everything was underdeveloped. Potentially awesome character interactions were left unexplored.

0/10 
That's how alien movies are, very mysterious and underdeveloped. Until they make 2 sequels.
It wasn't mysterious. There wasn't the implication of anything deeper or hidden. It was just formulaic, lazy, and mediocre.
Didn't see it, but as far as I know Sir Scott hasn't made anything worth watching since "Legend."

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
You obviously didn't see the same movie.

Very yes.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Wasn't mysterious at all; was just poorly developed.  No character ever makes a single rational or believable decision (Theron almost does, but other choices are so terrible as to override and cancel out).  I'm not surprised it did well on Friday (the hype was palpable; but nor am I surprised that it had already been surpassed in the box office as of Sunday afternoon (I, too, would tell friends not to see it).

Grades =

magicpablo666 = Gusty Survivor = "firebreathing" is not an official keyword ability -- at cmc 3, being the only creature isn't hard to accomplish; that ability (especially for being so white-centric, and tied in with the name) would make a lot more sense as Fateful Hour -- as a Ripley, not a bad concept, though the stand alone ability + a firebreathing ability are weird combination -- as a card design, isn't stellar, sorry = Uncommon

sage62 = Facehugger = a lot of your diction isn't ideal; see Rust Tick for the wording -- the ability is way too wordy and hard to follow to really be printable -- i got our drift on attaching, killing, dying, chestburst, etc... but it doesn't really work well on the card -- what i think would make the most sense and be most accurate to the original Alien: the tap ability, then, you can sacrifice Facehugger to put a -1/-1 counter on the creature, and if that creature still has the counter on it after like a turn or something, it dies and you get the chestburster -- idea being, the facehugger incapacitates while attached, then, at its//your discretion, it lays it's egg (the -1/-1 counter) and dies (sacrifice) = Common

I-rock = Chestburster = i really like -- first phrase should be "additional cost to cast" not "casting" -- the refernce works really well, and the sacrifice and ability transfer are both very black.. but flash and haste are soooo not black -- there are only 5 black cards with flash; some more haste, but still not a lot, and flash + haste together on black is just too jarring to justify -- other than that, i love it -- if you had made the cost :brm:, i probably would have gone to mythic... the first line of abilities red, the second black... and red not without some sacrifice cards... yeah.. would have worked better = Rare

Thanks for participation.
It's a shame we didn't get to see some more interpretations from people.
To make myself feel better about that, I've decided most people avoided the thread because they didn't want to risk spoilers on the movie.  Yeah... I can believe that.

Every movie has its plot holes. Even the original beloved Alien(s).
/dealwithititsamovieandstillnotasswisscheeseastheharrypotterfranchise

Correct. 

I'm in this group.  Here is an actualy copypaste of what I wrote on a gamefaqs thread and I stand by it.

RONIN_Y0JIMBO posted...

I'm pretty sure that anyone who absolutely raged (vs unhappy) with the ME3 ending will also be similar with Prometheus. Perhaps THE central theme of the movie is that for every answer you find you will have more questions and to do so is human. As such it raises a lot of questions that they have already stated in interviews they deliberately went without answering.

It's a philosophical space mystery movie placed wonderfully in a beautiful existing universe of science, fantasy, and tension. If you can't enjoy that for exactly what it is, then you (anyone) should probably not watch this movie.

Challenge & Contest Winners
[24 Hour Challenge] Why is the rum always gone? Winner- Sebanovich
Show
Vomit Elemental :B: Creature - Elemental Tap an untapped creature you control: Vomit Elemental gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Other creatures you control don't untap during your untap step. "Drink and feed me, my followers!" 1/1
Signature
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Thanks for participation.
It's a shame we didn't get to see some more interpretations from people.
To make myself feel better about that, I've decided most people avoided the thread because they didn't want to risk spoilers on the movie.  Yeah... I can believe that.

I would've gladly participated, but at the time I was grading for two contests, sleeping, working, EXISTING! It's tough work existing these days. I was going to post, but then I saw that you had closed the contest already.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
it doesn't ask questions
i'm so confounded by people saying this
the movie in no way asks "how far would you go to meet your god?"
it just shows a bunch of absolutely incompetent people making terrible decisions, ignoring everything happening around them and all logical data, and dying
there's no huge push to discover or learn or question
there's just stupidty

i'm absoutely confounded by people who support this movie saying "it makes you think"
wait what contest is this about im new to magic

wait what contest is this about im new to magic

this was a quick contest for cards designed around the Xenomorph aliens
it has since ended

i'm absoutely confounded by people who support this movie saying "it makes you think"

It just made me think about ways it could have been better
"There is nothing in the dessert, and no man needs 'nothing.'"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c84KVnDs_BM&t=13...
I find that most people that hate a movie hates it before they even watched it.
Sign In to post comments