A Simple Share

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just want to share a part of my game this weekend, I'm so proud of my player!!!

His name is David. It's his third D&D session ever! He was in a game for two sessions, but I switched him to another. He then creates his character, a Tiefling Sorcerer.

The game is...

My players are in a Gnome city which is trapped underground! The only way to get out is to activate the 8 temples...The problem is that gnomes can't enter these temples!

The players were slaves but fled and ended up in the Gnomes' City. The gnomes asked the players if they could go in the 8 temples and free them! ( And by the same time, save themselves! ) So they began...

But since the Tiefling arrived later in the game, he wasn't a slave, he was already trapped with the gnomes from the begining. This tiefling lived with them, had his house and a job.

Now, the players' got a probleme with Opacitas, the Queen of Darkness and they need to seek a way to deal with it. They're informed that "The Federation" could help them! The biggest guild of the city. Engineers, artificiers, miners, all work for The Federation!

The players ask to the Federation what to do and the answer is:"Well, we'll talk about it...We'll close the door of our HQ and no one is getting out before we got a solution!"

And, David says:"Oh No! Last time you closed those doors, you were locked for 2 weeks!"

I was surprise that he added this touch to my game! Especially coming from a new player! So I had to come with a reason why they locked themselves for two weeks but it was a magic moment!

We are always the same group of players together, David is new in the group and in the game. He really surprised me.

Just wanted to share this pearl with you! It's always fun for a DM to have situation like this!
I'm playing: Abin Gadon, Halfling Bard Winston "Slurphnose", Gnome Sorcerer Pasiphaé, Minotaur Shaman Eglerion, Elf Ellyrian Reaver (Ranger) DMing: Le Trésor du Fluide (Treasure from the Fluid) Un Royaume d'une Grande Valeur (A Kingdom of Great Value) La Légende de Persitaa (Persitaa's Legend) Une Série de Petites Quêtes... (A serie of short quests) Playtesting: Caves of Chaos We're building the greatest adventure ever known to DnD players! Also playing Legend of the Five Rings and Warhammer Fantasy. Sébastien, Beloeil, Qc. I am Neutral Good and 32 years old.
Nice. It's definitely cool when players add details the DM didn't think of but which fit perfectly (or can be made to fit perfectly) within the story.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Kudos! 

It's natural that a forum like this draws complaints and cries for help from DMs who find the game isn't going as well as they hoped, but it's always good to hear about the good things that Players and DMs do to make the game magic!
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
I agree with Yronimos, Kudos to your player and to you for posting it. Smile