U/G Splinterfright Self Mill Comments

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, running this deck I just built.  I know it's not the best but it is fun as all heck to play and I've been missing that since I've been running net-deck to stay compeditive in my Meta.  So leave me some comments on the deck and if you would change anything.  I'm also looking for a sideboard so any ideas there would be great. 

Lands:21
10 Forest
7   Island
4   Hinterland Harbor

Spells:11
1   Memory's Journey
2   Artful Dodge
3   Tracker's Instincts
3   Mulch
2   Gnaw to the Bone

Creatures:28
1   Laboratory Maniac
3   Merfolk Looter
3   Deranged Assistant
4   Armored Skaab
4   Birds of Paradise
3   Boneyard Wurm
4   Splinterfright
2   Kessig Cagebreakers
4   Ghoultree

So tell me what you guys think!  I'm considering playing it a little more and maybe putting in another copy of the Artful Dodge.  I tend to mill the heck out of myself, sometimes more than others depending on how many Splinters I have, so I put in the save of the Memory's Journey and Laboratory Maniac.  Hopefully by the time I mill out, he/she has done spent all their bounce or counters on my heavier hitters.  Final upkeep, flashback the journey to put the maniac in the deck.  Draw step, draw him.  Play him. Hope you make it till next turn lol.  At first didn't like the Ghoultree but after playtesting he is usually a reliable 1-3 drop by the time I play him.  Not bad when mixed with an Artful Dodge.

So let me have it
Nothing?
I'll go ahead and chime in here:

This deck's biggest problem was always removal, right up until I added in the Ulvenwald Trackers and Daybreak Rangers. Extra rangers in the board for delver or spirit decks, naturalize to deal with equip, spectral flight or wild defiance, and devestation tide for humans and tokens. Bramblecrush and Dissipate deal with Miracles.dec, and memory's journey slows down reanimator and protects me from GY hate.
I think Mulch isn't good for you.  You're not just trying to dredge at all costs, you actually need creatures to win.  Like the Tracker's Instincts a lot better.

Thought Scour is bad.  If you mill it, it's useless.  Use a Dream Twist if you really want extra cantrips.

Stuff like Merfolk Looter and Deranged Assistant are just miles too slow, and I don't at all see what Wingcrafter does for you.

Ulvenwald Tracker is definitely worth running.  I'd kinda want to try a Molten-Tail Masticore or Skaab Ruinator.  Loopy?

All of you guys are missing Shrieking Skaab.  That card is a must.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
Mulch and Instinct actually go hand in hand. One gets you lands, one gets you creatures. Sometimes you really just need one or the other.

I've played with dream twist, and I don't like it. Its like mulch and Instict, except you don't actually get anything out of it. Thought Scour at least gets you a card in your hand, and can be pointed at your opponent if you don't want to mill yourself (late game).

By shreiking skaab, do you mean screeching? 
Screeching Skaab is pretty good if your playing other slow decks.  The only problem is that usually when I can play that in my meta the other guy already has something that will block it no problem.  So I focus more on defense with Armored Skaab and I use the Looters and Assistants for milling if no threats attacked on his turn, so on his end step I activate them to drop cards in and out and if they attack, chump blocker that pump the others.

Ulvenwald Tracker is deff. getting a playset in my deck when I get some.  I do need removal and nothing like a 9/9 + smacking a titan.

To be honest I might end up taking out the looters and assistance for the trackers and llanowar elves since they are one drops and I could use the mana ramp b/c sometimes it seems hard to get mana when it clumps up and I mill 4 cards and all four are mana I could have used lol.
You can always block with your Screeching Skaab. If it dies, it's another body to pump Splinterfright and Boneyard Wurm, and reduce Ghoultree's casting cost.
Screeching skaab also trades with just about every relevent creature in the format, and costs 1 less, which lets you though scour, screeching skaab, splinterfright with good odds of having at least one dude in your yard.