U Talrand - Crosswinds
U Jace
B Liliana
BW Exalted - Nefarox?
R Chandra -Born of Flames
R Goblins - Krenko
G Garruk - Pack Instinct
G Elves (Yeva) 

Which means only one confirmed multicolour deck baring hidden colours unlocks.  A little disappointing, but I guess '12 only had 3 at launch.

This is the first Duels to have only 1 dual land deck and manual land tapping at the same time. I wonder what gives

Maybe the in-game store screenshot is the herald of a much more amount of DLC's and new decks. 
This is also the first duels with two mono-blue decks. I love it.

But yes, it's a little strange to have the tapping issue fixed and almost no deck to profit :P 
2012 had 4 at launch: Elves, Dragons, Machinations, and Ancient Depths.

9 mono-color decks just doesn't seem right.   

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Bear in mind we still haven't seen all the cards yet - some may still have a second colour.

Although previous versions had dual colour decks, some only splashed. Elves and Dragons both had very little Black for example. Could be the same situation here for some.

Yeah, I bet Yeva is totally going to splash black off a Bayou with those Wood Elves of hers.
The screenshots with the Jace and Odric decks are all islands and plain respectively.   We've seen the deck icon for Yeva and Krenko decks, and they only have a G and R symbol on each.    It would have to be hidden in the unlocks, but somehow I doubt it.
Maybe some of these decks will be available only with the first expansion? 

I was thinking that too, since there are screenshots that show there's 40 unlocks, and we know we're only starting with 30. Perhaps some of the decks we're seeing will be for expansion 1. Heck, perhaps we will have 5 mono color decks at release, and 5 mono color decks (one of each color) in the expansion. Perhaps the other 10 decks (5 at release and 5 at expansion) will give us every 2 color combination deck. (A bit of wishful thinking here, but that would get me to buy the game)

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

I was thinking that too, since there are screenshots that show there's 40 unlocks, and we know we're only starting with 30. Perhaps some of the decks we're seeing will be for expansion 1. Heck, perhaps we will have 5 mono color decks at release, and 5 mono color decks (one of each color) in the expansion. Perhaps the other 10 decks (5 at release and 5 at expansion) will give us every 2 color combination deck. (A bit of wishful thinking here, but that would get me to buy the game)

"Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 features ten distinct decks using cards from the latest Magic: The Gathering expansions," -quote from steam.

I could be wrong, but I think it is safe to assume these are the ten decks that will be in the game at release.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I don't like all those monocolor decks too, but is this really bad? I mean, I'd much rather have those new decks that are monocolor but play distinctly than the myriad of multicolor decks of DotP'12 that play similar.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I do find it humoreous that just like with 2012 where we only had a single expansion providing bonus cards when the game offered full deck editing, in 2013 we get manual land tapping as a feature with almost no multi-colored decks.  While I do realize that they can easily splash in other colors with the locked or expansion cards the humor of such design choices does not escape me.  Here's to hoping that Stainless makes multi-colored decks a strength of 2013 and not a just a testing ground for the manual land tapping feature.
I don't like all those monocolor decks too, but is this really bad? I mean, I'd much rather have those new decks that are monocolor but play distinctly than the myriad of multicolor decks of DotP'12 that play similar.

It's not bad, I quite like the decks revealed so far, it's just really wierd.    

They made a big deal about manual land tapping and then 90% of the original deck have absolutely no use for that mechanic.

And to top it off the only multicolour card revealed so far doesn't need it either.  Unmake is hybrid mana!

I dunno, it's just some of the most flavourful decks are multicolour and it always for lots of cool combinations of mechanics.  Obviously they can make a lot of good monocolour decks, but then why hyped manual tapping so much for it to be a non-issue?
Or they just don't care to give us a game with so many mono color decks because the first expansion will be out in a matter of weeks / months (2 months / 6 weeks maybe?).
I do find it humoreous that just like with 2012 where we only had a single expansion providing bonus cards when the game offered full deck editing, in 2013 we get manual land tapping as a feature with almost no multi-colored decks.  While I do realize that they can easily splash in other colors with the locked or expansion cards the humor of such design choices does not escape me.  Here's to hoping that Stainless makes multi-colored decks a strength of 2013 and not a just a testing ground for the manual land tapping feature.

Stainless doesn't design the decks for DotP, Wizards R&D does.

It's not bad, I quite like the decks revealed so far, it's just really wierd.    

They made a big deal about manual land tapping and then 90% of the original deck have absolutely no use for that mechanic.

And to top it off the only multicolour card revealed so far doesn't need it either.  Unmake is hybrid mana!

I dunno, it's just some of the most flavourful decks are multicolour and it always for lots of cool combinations of mechanics.  Obviously they can make a lot of good monocolour decks, but then why hyped manual tapping so much for it to be a non-issue?

Maybe they aren't confident about the manual land-tapping system and want to see how the community will react to it first. Maybe we have to say their marketing program is weird, because we can't say their deck building skills got worse.

And the hybrid mana cards will benefit most of manual land tapping.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

I'm sure we'll get more variety down the line.   Fingers crossed for Jund and Boros decks (yes again!)
I feel like there is a larger focus on multicolor than we're being lead to believe at the moment. I see a lot of symmetry here, 5 planeswalkers of each color, 5 legendary creatures of each color, and practically each color showing up twice (let's ignore the white in Nefarox's deck). If anything, I could easily see hidden colors as a probable addition and most likely showing up as a means to have each color represented 3 times.

Of course this could be wrong and I wouldn't be entirely disappointed as I like a lot of what I see regardless. I'd just be a little sad their main marketing pull, manual land tapping, isn't living up to its potential. I suppose there is always DLC to consider too. (Not to mention that crazy theory I threw out saying Star promo cards were interchangeable between decks. Watch it happen!)
I think the real crazy thing is that we haven't see yet some "DotP staples" like the artifact deck. Maybe it'll come along another classics like the Izzet deck (U/R Niv centered), the Dragons deck (because they know everybody loves dragons), and the Vampires deck in a future DLC.

If you are trying to insinuate that Wizards and Stainless operate with little-to-no communication between them regarding game features and the included decks then I shall certainly fear for the future of this franchise.  I think Stevolutionary nailed the real reason.  Still it seems awkward to deliver one of the most requested features of manual land tapping in a year where the focus is on mono-colored decks.  I guess sometimes advertising is more important than delivering what is best for the community.

"Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 features ten distinct decks using cards from the latest Magic: The Gathering expansions," -quote from steam.

I could be wrong, but I think it is safe to assume these are the ten decks that will be in the game at release.

I get that we're getting 10 decks at the release of the game, and I never contested that. No where did I say we were getting more than 10 decks at release. What I'm pointing out is, we don't know what 10 decks for sure. Once again, we already have screenshots of decks with 40 unlockable cards, but we know that we're only starting off with 30. Therefore, we can logically conclude that some of what we're seeing in these screenshots is from an expansion. Applying this to the decks we're getting and not the unlockables that we know are from a later expansion, it would look like this: What I'm suggesting is the possibility that, we get 10 decks at release, but not all of the decks that we've been seeing in the screen shots. Some of those decks (like the 2nd mono-white, mono-red, and mono-blue decks) could be coming up in the EXPANSION.

You say  it's safe to assume that the 10 decks we're getting at release are the 10 listed in the OP. I'm saying that's not a safe assumption to make, and I have valid reasons for saying that. I could be wrong. Perhaps we will get those 10 decks, but either way, we don't have enough information to make a conclusive statement on this issue. 

I am Blue/White

for the expansions or dlc deck packs whatever they decide to do i would want the following decks:

cascade deck: five color deck
dragon deck: black,blue,red,green
black and blue  zombie deck
red and green   werewolf deck
red,green,and blue a upgraded version of trinity
I will be VERY happy with a blue/green spider spawning deck.

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

If you are trying to insinuate that Wizards and Stainless operate with little-to-no communication between them regarding game features and the included decks then I shall certainly fear for the future of this franchise.  I think Stevolutionary nailed the real reason.  Still it seems awkward to deliver one of the most requested features of manual land tapping in a year where the focus is on mono-colored decks.  I guess sometimes advertising is more important than delivering what is best for the community.

I think in the end they'll have just as many dual decks, just later on this year. As Ravinca will be so dual-colour heavy, it just would seem a missed opportunity not to use cards from those expansions in DOTP dual-colour decks, but as the launch is a few months away, June is too early to spoil them, but they have to include the mana-tapping feature coded in the core package for the upcoming DLC regardless if anything actually uses it initially.

That's probably why we have a single dual-colour deck, as otherwise mana tapping would seem an odd feature to tout with no reason to do it. Without this I'd imagine we'd have had another mono-black deck in the core package instead of it.

I'm happy to wait a few months for dual-colour decks based on new dual-colour cards and mechanics from Return to Ravinca than get them now and have them similar to ones we've had before. If we're lucky and there's 10 DLC decks again we'll get every variant - , , , , , , , , and a second mono deck as we got the one early (which sadly misses out on Ravinca cards in order to demonstrate mana tapping early)

The fact that each mono deck is based on the 5 Planeswalkers that will be in M13 (Ajani, Jace, Liliana, Chandra and Garruk) and the 5 new Legendaries from M13 (Odric, Talrand, Nefarox, Krenko and Yeva), makes me feel that this year they're going for synergy and promotion with the Paper releases more than ever, wheras previous years were a bit slapdash in this regard.

Actually, when you put it like that, I kinda like the idea of holding off on all the multi-color decks until ravnica. Originally I was opposed to having so many mono-color decks, but when you put it that way, I would rather wait and have the dual-colored decks be based on Ravnica, given that Ravnica is one of my favorite blocks. And they could always go ahead and have 2 W/B decks, one for release and one for Ravnica. We had 3 mono-black decks in 2012, so why not?

I am Blue/White

If you are trying to insinuate that Wizards and Stainless operate with little-to-no communication between them regarding game features and the included decks then I shall certainly fear for the future of this franchise.

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me, but that's not what I was saying.  It's just that in the interview in which it was claimed by the Wizards brand manager that Wizards R&D builds the decks, he made it sound like something of a segregated process in which one party does all of one thing and the other does all of the rest ("Our R&D takes care of all the card choices. There's extensive play testing to ensure that none DLC is overpowered. Stainless Games makes it all come together with a great user interface."). 

I honestly doubt Stainless has much sway over the construction of the decks, regardless of how much communication there is.  I imagine the influence they do have would have to do with things like cards and effects that they simply can't implement (or that would be obtuse to implement) within the current structure of the game or the game engine.
Looks like they went with the we need to have every color represented the same time as every color approach. (except for white but Wizard loves white) I am kinda sad that their is no artifact deck. Frown

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

As Maro pointed out in his article today, the main game will now serve as an introduction to core sets. We can assume this will be so every year. They want the new players to be familiar with 2013 Core set cards when they go to a store to play a game.

What I am curious about, though, is the direction they took (or will take) with the expansions. Because I doubt they will go to trouble of matching each expansion pack with the current expansion set in paper cards. New players dont need to follow all 3 expansions throughout the year, do they?. Teach them the core set and you are good to go.

In the end, the expansion decks may as well be the usual "miss and match" style similar to previous Duels games. In other words, not all expansion decks may follow the Ravnica set and be dual color either.
*Sigh*... ten decks is so few for a game like this. I know eventually there will be add-ons, but it should still ship with more.

"I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

I'd rather have 10 balanced decks than the whole lot of 2012. Atm I don't see anything but Vamps, Knights, Illusions and MtW. Half the decks are unplayable in this metagame, it bores me to death.
I'd rather have 10 balanced decks than the whole lot of 2012. Atm I don't see anything but Vamps, Knights, Illusions and MtW. Half the decks are unplayable in this metagame, it bores me to death.

Troo dat.

Ill take 10 well balanced, top tier decks over 2 good and 8 sloppy decks anyday. Remember when 2012 first shipped before the expansion? Most of the decks were just poor
But Wizards R&D does extensive playtesting to ensure all of the decks are balanced....oh wait.  Laughing
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

True, but who says the 2013 decks are balanced?

"I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Nobody does, but it can't be much worse than "pick one out of five decks or compensate a huge disadvantage". I wanted Trinity to work so bad and my opponents have terrible decklists, but I just can't compensate the sheer power of these auto-pilot aggro decks a monkey could get a 10-0 winning streak with.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I have currently stopped playing DotP12 for the same reason's. I know its too early to say but the new decks look to be far more balanced overall, with none of them really appearing much stronger than the other. Oh and we finally get a badass mono green deck, about time.

I'm pretty excited for june 20th.
I hope that 30-40 sideboard cards will help to balance things out somehow. At least it should be easier to prepare against a dominating playstyle.
40 unlocks also makes me fairly certain we're going to get to splash other colors into the original 10 decks.
This could be problematic though. The way dotp manages your land count, you'd likely have to "splash" a whole lot to achieve some consistency. I'd hate to have my new found freedom of choice diminished by being forced to include at least 10 cards of the second colour or something like that.
As cool an idea as it sounds, I wouldn't hold my breath for colours hidden within the unlocks.  It just does not seem like something DOTP would do.  It's possible I suppose, but I feel its highly unlikely.

I'm most interested to see the rest of the Soldier and Exalted decks, as I think they both seem pretty cool. 
Personally I'm guessing at least like half of the decks are going to have different colour unlocks, but we'll see.
I also think there will be unlocks that provide other colors. I remember one of the posts by Microbless talking about the addition of end step in D13 allowing you to activate cards like evolving winds.
Im just waiting for jace's control (maybe mill?) deck list. A trimmed thoughts of wind with card draw engines is going to be pretty special
I wouldn't worry so much about the mono-coloured decks. If they keep with their "more is better" pattern, we should see more decks than 2012 (so 10+ DLC decks). Not counting the expansion, in 2012 you had to play each deck 11 times to unlock 16 cards. Duels 2013 has 30+ unlocks so you'll ostensibly be more than twice as long to unlock evreything. By the time a lot of us have everything unlocked and all our decks set up how we like, September's DLC will hit.

I'm fairly confident that we won't see many mono-coloured DLC decks. Probably a mono-black deck since we only have one of those, but other than that, they should be spamming 2-3 coloured decks come September.