New gameplay video

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Omg, "poison" and "annihilator" have their own legend-symbols ?
So we get a infect-deck and Eldrazis ?

Omg, let it be true !!!

Only a few min into the video.. curious, under player status (which is pretty nice to have btw).
Im curious what does "Magic the gathering view promotional unlocks" mean? We did see those screenshots with the promo icon on the cards.. maybe there are other ways to get unlocked MTG cards other than DLC and unlocking them through play?

I'm betting the Eldrazi will be in Nicol Bolas' deck.  Presumably won't be any of the bigger ones that recycle your graveyard.

Poison could just be in a challenge, but maybe not.

Duels 2012 the Eldrazi had annhilators symbols. just saying, it might just be in there.
Shadow, exalted, poison, fading and undying are all symbols ive not seen in 2012. What the hell is fading and shadow?

Its @ 0:37 on the video 
Shadow, exalted, poison, fading and undying are all symbols ive not seen in 2012. What the hell is fading and shadow?

Its @ 0:37 on the video 

Dunno, but Shadow was in duels 2012, I dont remember seeing it. But i went to the legend in how to play for 2012 and it has shadow. Same with Fear. Never saw that one either but its there.
Fading: A permanent with fading enters the battlefield with X fade counters on it. At the beginning of its controller's upkeep, a fade counter is removed; if a counter cannot be removed, the card is sacrificed.

Shadow: Creatures with shadow can only block or be blocked by other creatures with the shadow ability.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Fading: A permanent with fading enters the battlefield with X fade counters on it. At the beginning of its controller's upkeep, a fade counter is removed; if a counter cannot be removed, the card is sacrificed.

Shadow: Creatures with shadow can only block or be blocked by other creatures with the shadow ability.

Thanks, so shadow is a fear/intimidate kind of deal? What are examples of Fading cards though, can you play the card normally?

Is there a site or somethat that explains what all those abilities (legends) do?
Shadow and Fading showed up in 2012 challenges.

Is there a site or somethat that explains what all those abilities (legends) do?

Wikipedia, for starters.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The... should suffice.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Shadow and Fading showed up in 2012 challenges.

I remember one but not the other. So whats the deal with fading then, are more powerful creatures cast earlier with fade because it leaves the battlefield?
Yeah, some creatures with fading are more powerful and able to be cast early, but not grossly so. There's a 2/2 flyer for 2 and it comes into play with 3 fade counters. Other cards can remove their fade counters to do other things like cause/prevent damage and the like.
Thanks, so shadow is a fear/intimidate kind of deal? What are examples of Fading cards though, can you play the card normally?

Shadow is more like flying than fear or intimidate. Two creatures with fear or intimidate can't block each other if they aren't the same colors/artifacts, while two creatures with flying/shadow can block each other. Shadow just doesn't really have an anti-keyword like reach is to flying.

For fading, it let them cheat on the stats for creatures and abilities by letting them print stuff below the curve, Blastoderm being a good example. Pretty much for the reasoning you gave, they weren't permanent threats, but that didn't stop some of the fading cards from being great. Not all fading cards were that great though.

Fading is probably retired for print anyways, considering they'll probably use vanishing from now on if they ever revisit the concept in the future.

Here are some examples of both mechanics:

Shadow
Looter il-Kor
Soltari Champion
Jodah's Avenger (I love this card)

Fading
Parallax Dementia
Ancient Hydra
Tangle Wire

Fading was substituted by Vanishing in the Time Spiral block. But then, R&D realized those "nerfing" mechanics (like Echo and Cumulative Upkeep) aren't popular. So we don't see them very often these days.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Looter il-Kor
Tangle Wire

I love these two cards. Probably my favorite fading card and one of my favorite shadow commons. Love slapping some equipment on him in my cube.

I'm also a huge fan of echo as well, but mostly because the good ones behaved more like spells with a dude attached if you wanted to keep them. Plus, it's great having the option of recurring back a kill spell from your graveyard and get a blocker out of it.

I also really like what they did in Future Sight where echo didn't just have to be repaying the cards mana cost and instead opened up new methods for paying echo. Makes me wish more people loved drawbacks so I could keep seeing them. I love 'em.
The game looks great! Love the small (but needed) improvements like graveyard browser and the cool unlock animation at the end. Celestial Light looks like a lot of fun just like Crosswinds. I love that new ring that gives +1/+1 counters, pretty powerful on flying creatures.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

The game looks great! Love the small (but needed) improvements like graveyard browser and the cool unlock animation at the end. Celestial Light looks like a lot of fun just like Crosswinds. I love that new ring that gives +1/+1 counters, pretty powerful on flying creatures.

The graveyard browser isn't new (at least not to the PC, but I swear I remember it being that way on consoles, as well).  The PC version has had that since the first game.
Looter il-Kor
Tangle Wire

I love these two cards. Probably my favorite fading card and one of my favorite shadow commons. Love slapping some equipment on him in my cube.

I'm also a huge fan of echo as well, but mostly because the good ones behaved more like spells with a dude attached if you wanted to keep them. Plus, it's great having the option of recurring back a kill spell from your graveyard and get a blocker out of it.

I also really like what they did in Future Sight where echo didn't just have to be repaying the cards mana cost and instead opened up new methods for paying echo. Makes me wish more people loved drawbacks so I could keep seeing them. I love 'em.

Sadly, both of us are in a minority in that matter. MaRo already said the players don't like drawback mechanics. I think the design space for those mechanics is narrow. In the good cards with drawback mechanics, the mechanic wasn't exactly a drawback. I guess that was the real problem for R&D.

And Tangle Wire was a constructed staple in it's time! Very powerful card.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013