my impressions

I have no idea where I’m supposed to put this as I obviously only joined to give feedback on the playtest so I hope I’m doing this right.

Having never played anything other the 4e I can’t really comment on the nostalgic feel this is supposed to be going for. I do think the streamlining and simplifying makes this easer to remember but more challenging to play.

Having no opportunity attacks and spilt movement did let you have a feeling of more movement in the game and not being bogged down in one place.

My main problem was with the disadvantage when using ranged attacks into a foe engaged in melee combat.

My character was a cleric and my staff attack was abysmal so my main attack was a ranged light blast (I can’t recall it’s name) and it did good damage when it hit, but that wasn’t often.

I don’t like the idea that range attacks are worthless. It feels like the game is pushing for only two types of game play, run in and attack or ambush everyone. I hope there’s a feat or something available that negates this or else all characters might as well just focus on close combat.

The other problem that occurred in the game I played was the only member of the party the was in any way sneaky, the rogue, didn’t have very high perception, because of the random stats, so sending them ahead to scout was pretty much worthless.

I don’t think I can add much more as I only played one game at first level and I still consider myself to be a relative newcomer to d&d but I hope it helps.

I’ll just say that at the moment I think I prefer 4e.

The sneaky guy thing is a playtest character specific thing.  So I'd discount that.  As for being bad at ranged combat, i am fairly certain that this also is a playtest chartacter specific thing and will probably be easily remedied.

Ranged combat has the same exact chance of success based on the stats, that characters have in melee.  So that could also be a function of luck. 

keep testing.  There is more coming.

Noticed in my latest play test game that the sleep spell as written in the how to play document needs to be fixed 
one of my players cast the sleep spell on a group of kobolds and was able to  coup da grace the lot of them due this bug the spell is worded so that the kobolds which have 2 hp were nocked unconscience and would only wake up upon taking damage which every time the kobolds took damage it was enouph to kill them.
So why not add until the end of your next turn to the sleep spell. 
Noticed in my latest play test game that the sleep spell as written in the how to play document needs to be fixed 
one of my players cast the sleep spell on a group of kobolds and was able to  coup da grace the lot of them due this bug the spell is worded so that the kobolds which have 2 hp were nocked unconscience and would only wake up upon taking damage which every time the kobolds took damage it was enouph to kill them.

I'm curious as to how many were in the group and of them how many failed their save? If it isn't all of them then surely the others could easily wake the ones that are sleeping, even though sleep has a large area it needs the creatures to fail the save, and then all the time spent doing Coup de Grace on them. Burning Hands has smaller area but instantly kills kobolds no save. Seems pretty balanced to me. Until the end of your next turn would be very weak.

My main problem was with the disadvantage when using ranged attacks into a foe engaged in melee combat.

My character was a cleric and my staff attack was abysmal so my main attack was a ranged light blast (I can’t recall it’s name) and it did good damage when it hit, but that wasn’t often.

I don’t like the idea that range attacks are worthless. It feels like the game is pushing for only two types of game play, run in and attack or ambush everyone. I hope there’s a feat or something available that negates this or else all characters might as well just focus on close combat.

I played a archery based Ranger in 3.5 and I assure you, ranged has always felt inferior to melee. It's the disadvantage of being the inferior choice, for the advantage of not being up in the other guys face.  

Pretty sure people have used the sleep spell to murder hordes of kobolds at 1st level for 36 or so years now lol

My understanding was that if you were in melee yourself your ranged attacks had disadvantage. If your target was in melee with someone else you attacked normally.

Sign In to post comments