"Ritual" seems all kinds of wrong

I have disliked the use of this word to describe this element of the game.

a rite  is an established form of religious or otherwise solemn practice; a ritual  is a prescribed form for carrying out the ceremonies associated with such a practice.

Magic is not religion so it makes little sense for both Clerics and Wizards to be doing rituals anyways.

I started playing in1 984 and there was a HEALTHY part of the populace that likened D&D to Devil worship in some books and publications.  With the imagery that was sometimes common to D&D, the uninitiated could certainly be led to agree.

I think using the word "Ritual" is maybe a mistake, given that there are so many less loaded words to use.  Ritual has a sinister AND religious connotation to it that doesn't match.

Some alternate ideas (please add yours!):
Thaumaturgy: 
the term was also born in religion and so it also is not perfect BUT it was a word with completely positive connotation which is how it differs from Ritual.  Thaumaturgists were Godly miracle workers.  The word over time came to be used to describe mechanical wonders and feats that were ill understood and seen as "magic" or miracles and finally later on to describe magical wonders in fiction.  It has mostly enjoyed a positive connotation.

Mechanical Arcanum
The process now is of of memorizing and channeling spells using the spirit and mind to create the arcane effects.  The so called "rituals" are really just mechanical methods of doing the same thing.  Why not recognize it as that?  It could be termed Mechanical Arcanum or Constructive Arcanum.  It is in essence the equivalent, for Clerics, of holding a church service ending in a powerful prayer request above and beyond the normal power the Deity has seen fit to bless you with.  Or in the case of the Wizard he is simply representing the formulae in yet one more way that wizards have learned to do when their minds cannot take any more stress from casting.  the difference between casting them normally and casting them this way is that the Wizard has effectively prepared the spellwork ahead of time and effectively has CAST it and trapped that power within himself, to be released at the right time.  I think this was described in earlier editions as a burning sigil in his mind that would release its locked up power.



Divine Magic is magic. Psionic Magic is magic. Primal Magic is magic. Shadow Magic is magic. Elemental Magic is magic. Friendship is magic.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I've always found magic in D&D to be a therapeutic experience whereby the spellcaster reaches a level of catharsis through the generous application of creative and destructive forces.

Ritual (Medical Definition)
A detailed act or series of acts carried out by an individual to relieve anxiety or to forestall the development of anxiety.

Cool


Well here are some suggestions, but I am actually happy with ritual as it infers a specific performance of gestures or pattern with a specific intent.

Spellform
Spellshape
Manifestation 
a rite  is an established form of religious or otherwise solemn practice; a ritual  is a prescribed form for carrying out the ceremonies associated with such a practice.

Ritual
The word Ritual has a lot more nuance than you're giving it credit for.  

Rituals have often been a part of the wizard mythos inside and outside of the DnD setting. 

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.


 Ritual
The word Ritual has a lot more nuance than you're giving it credit for.  



Thats not true.  I tool the definition right out of a dictionary.  So I am beig very literal.

Inertia seems to be a constant thing with gamers.  But I never sawe a reasonable person who wouldn't accept a terminology change that makes sense.

Rituals is a loaded word with negative connotations.  It should be replaced so I am intertested in finding other woirds they can use for it.

The word Ritual has a lot more nuance than you're giving it credit for.  



Thats not true.  I tool the definition right out of a dictionary.  So I am beig very literal.




rit•u•al 1. an established or prescribed procedure for a religious or other rite. 2. a system or collection of religious or other rites. 3. observance of set forms in public worship. 4. a book of rites or ceremonies. 5. a book containing the offices to be used by priests in administering the sacraments and for visitation of the sick, burial of the dead, etc. 6. a prescribed or established rite, ceremony, proceeding, or service: the ritual of the dead. 7. prescribed, established, or ceremonial acts or features collectively, as in religious services. 8. any practice or pattern of behavior regularly performed in a set manner. 9. a prescribed code of behavior regulating social conduct, as that exemplified by the raising of one's hat or the shaking of hands in greeting. 10. Psychiatry . a specific act, as hand-washing, performed repetitively to a pathological degree 11. of the nature of or practiced as a rite or ritual: a ritual dance. 12. of or pertaining to rites or ritual: ritual laws.


I'm seeing all sorts of nuance here, given 12 different definitions. The word ritual clearly has more meaning than simply religious meaning. Not to mention that this word has been in the game for a number of years now without anyone seeming to have had any problems with it.

 

[

Rituals is a loaded word with negative connotations.



To you, not to the vast majority of people.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Yes. The word Ritual is clearly a pressing issue with the 5e playtest. I mean, did you see all those Christian rallies against 4e because they used a similar mechanic? How could we let this happen again?

How?
Best. Thread. Ever. It's amazing that no one has pointed this out before. It makes SO much sense
End sarcasm. 
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
Your sarcasm is... foolish in this context. 

Those who KNOW what best practices are would be aware that LIKE 4E, everything needs to be looked at.  And this has bothered me since 4E chose it.

If you can choose a word without the negatives, that's best practice over choosing one that does.  That simple.  If you dont like it, and you want to express it, great.  Your sarcasm caqn be left at the door, friend.  It doesn't help your case.
If you can choose a word without the negatives, that's best practice over choosing one that does.

Except the word Ritual has no negatives to anyone, it seems, except you.  In fact, I and many others feel positively about it, because it is one of the best words to describe what it refers to.  Your alternatives are no good.

Thaumaturgy, for example, has no other definition--it only refers to religious things, whereas ritual has meanings outside of that context (by the way, should the field of Psychology change the term, so as not to offend people?).

Mechanical Arcanum just lands flat--it's too long and awkward and conveys nothing to most people.

Ritual works well and it offends nobody but you. 
Why not just call it "noncombat spells", seeing as that's what it is?


Except the word Ritual has no negatives to anyone, it seems, except you.  Ritual works well and it offends nobody but you. 



Hyberbole.  And besides, no one said "offended".  thats just your brain making connections that aren't there.  That isn't the emotion it evokes in me.

Non-combat spell would be fine.  Thaumaturgy, is NOT just religious, as it referred historically to other things and has been used in places like Discworld as the common name for magic etc...  Thaumaturgic circles were mentioned as far back as Advanced D&D for those who may not know!

Ritual is so often connected to black magic and the like that it seems the entirely wrong word when others are available, to use.

I think we are, by and large a creative lot and can come up with something.

[

Rituals is a loaded word with negative connotations.



To you, not to the vast majority of people.



Ritual is associated with magic.

I won't countenance this anymore than I'd countenance changing the name of the warlock.

It's unnecessary.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

It's unnecessary.



Even if it were, the word can be changed and other options exist that are less associated with that stuff.  Why would you choose to use the one MORE associated with dark magic and evil summonings such as the show Supernatural likes to show? 

You can claim that words have no greater meaning than others if you never took a writing class, but obviously most posters have and know what a "loaded word" is.  This is one.  So why use it over other options that lack such impact?

This is a symantics issue at its core, but its like a lot of things:  aimed at promoting the hobby to new people and trying to limit the reasons why people are turned off so we can get all those players that left BACK again.

I think little things like this COULD help and in any event, changing it wont hurt.  So there is only upside.

It's unnecessary.



Even if it were, the word can be changed and other options exist that are less associated with that stuff.  Why would you choose to use the one MORE associated with dark magic and evil summonings such as the show Supernatural likes to show? 

You can claim that words have no greater meaning than others if you never took a writing class, but obviously most posters have and know what a "loaded word" is.  This is one.  So why use it over other options that lack such impact?

This is a symantics issue at its core, but its like a lot of things:  aimed at promoting the hobby to new people and trying to limit the reasons why people are turned off so we can get all those players that left BACK again.

I think little things like this COULD help and in any event, changing it wont hurt.  So there is only upside.



Linguistic accuracy is important. I don't approve of changing a term in a way that makes it less accurate, to avoid offending with a complete lack of evidence that any significant amount of potential fans will be offended.

There is a downside. Ritual describes exactly what this mechanic, what it represents in the game world. It might be a religious ritual, a psychic ritual, an arcane ritual, or a shamanistic ritual, but in all cases ritual is the most correct word for what is being referred to.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I'm sorry, but I'm just not getting where this thread is trying to go. "Ritual" is an entirely neutral word. If you dislike it for whatever random personal reason, that's fine, but trying to make actual arguments that it should be changed to suit you is like trying to argue that Dwarves in DDN shouldn't have beards because guys with beards make you uncomfortable.

The word "Ritual" has so many uses beyond the religious that I hardly even know where to begin. I don't know, look it up on wikipedia or something:
"Rituals of various kinds are a feature of almost all known human societies, past or present. They include not only the various worship rites and sacraments of organized religions and cults, but also the rites of passage of certain societies, atonement and purification rites, oaths of allegiance, dedication ceremonies, coronations and presidential inaugurations, marriages and funerals, school "rush" traditions and graduations, club meetings, sports events, Halloween parties, veterans parades, Christmas shopping and more. Many activities that are ostensibly performed for concrete purposes, such as jury trials, execution of criminals, and scientific symposia, are loaded with purely symbolic actions prescribed by regulations or tradition, and thus partly ritualistic in nature. Even common actions like hand-shaking and saying hello may be termed rituals."

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I have disliked the use of this word to describe this element of the game.

a rite  is an established form of religious or otherwise solemn practice; a ritual  is a prescribed form for carrying out the ceremonies associated with such a practice.



That is a very narrow definition of ritual. Ritual Magic is in pretty common usage. I really don't have a problem with it's usage in the game it has no need for religious conitations, and certainly isn't the mouthful any of your other suggestions are.
Ritual is so often connected to black magic and the like that it seems the entirely wrong word when others are available, to use.



Hold on first you complain that we shouldn't use it because it is only connected with religious ceremonies, and then you complain it is connected with black magic.

Which is it? Is it connected with magic or not? If it's connected with magic why the problem with it being used to describe magic.

Then you suggest a word like Thaumaturgy, which is original was connected with miracle-workers and saints, but also has connections with blood magic in WoD? Seems to me it should have the exact same problems as Ritual.







I'll be moving this discussion to D&D Next General Discussion,

Thanks,

Monica

Monica

Wizards of the Coast Online Community Coordinator

A friendly dragon.

Getting to Know Your Magic Online Client

Basic Dungeons & Dragons FREE

For me, the word “ritual”  has neutral, even positive connotations. It calls to mind dedication, discipline, and sophisticated proceedures.

Even so, I would be happy with the word “meditation” in this context. For me, a ritual can also be a kind of meditation, but the word meditation can cover more contexts, especially simpler mystical contexts.
Considering that D&D's distinction between arcane and divine magic is entirely artificial (the historic usage of "magic" and mysticism is derived from one religious practice or another). Thus, even with the proposed narrow definition of "ritual", it's entirely fitting.
Jancoran...it seems you've come to a blockade to the support you're searching for. I do know what you're talking about, back when the game Dungeons and Dragons was likened to the devil and satanistic worship. However...

Times have changed...words simply don't mean what they did a mere two decades ago, same goes with spelling (considering the recent and dramatic decrease in proper word usage, grammar, and spelling that's come about due to texting and "leet" speak). While it seems like D&D is still the most easily hated of the various game systems out there, especially by die-hard and fanatical religious facilities out there, the game has become so much more widely accepted in the major population than it once was.

While I will agree with you that the word "Ritual" does have some dark connotations...it's not the soul-crushingly evil reference it once was, and probably is the least important aspect of this playtest.

I'm sorry for the lack of support here...I just don't see the need for this issue to press on.      
Do you honestly think that removing the word "Ritual" in a situation where it makes perfect sense is going to cause a tidal wave of players to move to the game? I have never heard ANYONE complain about the word "Ritual", ever, until this very day. There is not a huge population who want to play D&D but just can't get over that whole "Ritual" thing!
EVERY DAY IS HORRIBLE POST DAY ON THE D&D FORUMS. Everything makes me ANGRY (ESPECIALLY you, reader)
Ritual is an entirely neutral word.




Since you feel that way, you should be fine with whatever those who dont agree decide.

That is a very narrow definition of ritual. ...and certainly isn't the mouthful any of your other suggestions are.



Unless gamers are dumb people (and is that really the assumption we're going to make about them?), I think they can handle it.
Do you honestly think that removing the word "Ritual" in a situation where it makes perfect sense is going to cause a tidal wave of players to move to the game? I have never heard ANYONE complain about the word "Ritual", ever, until this very day. There is not a huge population who want to play D&D but just can't get over that whole "Ritual" thing!



nope.  I think that, LIKE including Electrum in the game again, you're going to get the quiet nod of approval of many that left the game. 

That you never heard it til today is no big deal.  Now you have.  And now that you have, engage the subject or pass up the thread.

That is a very narrow definition of ritual. ...and certainly isn't the mouthful any of your other suggestions are.



Unless gamers are dumb people (and is that really the assumption we're going to make about them?), I think they can handle it.



Assuming that they'd have to be dumb to prefer terms that flow well, and don't seem forced and arbitrary, is just a terrible assumption. Worse than most assumptions, which is saying something.


Ritual is an entirely neutral word.




Since you feel that way, you should be fine with whatever those who dont agree decide.



Balls to that, friend. Ritual is a neutral word that accurately and succinctly evokes exactly what it represents. That is, magical rituals. There is not a word that is close to as fitting, and without a noticable amount of complaint (one person obviously does not hit that line), there just isn't enough reason to change it to outwiegh the reasons to keep it.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
What it comes down to is if you don't like the word Ritual in your games, don't use it. As has been pointed out, it best describes the players actions in that situation, and likely won't be changed.

I think this has more to do with your perception of the word Ritual than its actual definition or public viewpoint. That you'd choose a word just as loaded perceptually, Thaumaturgy, seems to indicate you really don't understand eithers definitions or uses and history.

In the end, as I said, if you don't like it don't use it. Call it something else in your game, won't change in the end that a magical rite (spell, prayer, meditation, event, ceremony, whatever)as is being performed.

As has been pointed out, it best describes the players actions in that situation, and likely won't be changed. .



It "best" describes a Mages actions as doing a religious activity?  No.  By definition, no.  Especially when religious Clerics are such a big part of the picture.  BEST describes what will cause the most positive results with the least negative results.  There are no negative results for changing the name except a bunch of gamers have to incorporate a new word.  wow.  Wonder if they can handle it?

Ritual magic in Shadowrun seems the likely source of this terminology but who knows.  game designers float and work on all kinds of projects.

Thaumaturgy was just an example.   I am not married to that term.  The game could simply call it Extended Casting.  It could be called a lot of things.  Point is we are reinventing the game ANYWAYS...  why does it seem best practices to leave a loaded word as the place holder?  If you know it can evoke a negative image, why keep doing it?  To prove a point?

Personally, I'd be all about doing whatever I could to recapture marketshare.
why does it seem best practices to leave a loaded word as the place holder?  If you know it can evoke a negative image, why keep doing it?  To prove a point?

Personally, I'd be all about doing whatever I could to recapture marketshare.


Again, you seem to be the only person that has a problem with the term.
Again, changing that word isn't going to affect marketshare one whit.
It "best" describes a Mages actions as doing a religious activity?

You seem to be the only one who believes Ritual refers specifically to a religious activity.  Everyone else seems to be able to accept that the word has a dozen meanings.

It totally didn't come from Shadowrun, either--it came from the English language.

why does it seem best practices to leave a loaded word as the place holder?  If you know it can evoke a negative image, why keep doing it?  To prove a point?

Because it can't evoke a negative image.  You are literally the only person that I have ever heard of having a problem with the word ritual.  How do you not see that you are totally alone in this?  If I walked into a McDonalds and told them that "Big Mac" was an offensive term to me with no backing or evidence that anyone else agreed, do you think they'd change it or just laugh at me?  Hint: it's the latter. 

Personally, I'd be all about doing whatever I could to recapture marketshare.

This would be a valid argument if there was any marketshare lost due to the term "ritual."  I am totally 100% serious about this when I say that I could get totally behind your problem and even come up with alternative ideas if you can show us some actual evidence that the word "ritual" bothers anyone else.

People get turned off by all sorts of things.  Some people dont care that a certain spider cant hurt them.  They fear all spiders.  It doesn't have to make sense to YOU.

Pretend that Christians have no problem with this ritual stuff if you want to.  But theres a lot of Christians (for example) that would not be caught dead playing a game that encouraged desensitizing yourself to the idea of rituals.  The word has impact, meaning.  Same people love watching Harry Potter movies, might not say a word when their kids pretend to cast Harry Potter spells in the back yard.  But if they walked up to mom and dad and said "we're performing a summoning ritual" uh...  Might not get as cheery a reaction.

Its the connotations, not the definitions that are the issue.  "magic" can be good.  Heck there was a good witch in the Wizard of Oz!  But you start doing "rituals" and that enters another area.  More sinsiter somehow.

You can call people "dumb" for disliking the Swastika.  It evokes a reaction, it has meaning and though its origin might be known, it's connotation is dislikes almost universally.  It symbolizes something evil that happened.

So if it costs NOTHING to change it...why oppose it?
Give it up you have clearly not pursuaded anyone to your point of view.

No body believes DnD is a gateway to the occult any more apart from the religious nut jobs but worrying about one word in the game is not going to pursuade them to come and play with us.

Lost cause my good man move on to more constructive things or don't you are more than welcome to keep banging your head here.

Cool
Pretend that Christians have no problem with this ritual stuff if you want to.  But theres a lot of Christians (for example) that would not be caught dead playing a game that encouraged desensitizing yourself to the idea of rituals.  The word has impact, meaning.  Same people love watching Harry Potter movies, might not say a word when their kids pretend to cast Harry Potter spells in the back yard.  But if they walked up to mom and dad and said "we're performing a summoning ritual" uh...  Might not get as cheery a reaction.



Baptism and Mass are Rituals, used worldwide by many Christian Denominations.  Google 'Catholic Encyclopedia: Rites' and see what it says there.  That doesn't even include the Jewish or Islamic faiths, which have their own many versions of Rituals.  'Salat', the daily prayers of the Islamic faith, are a Ritual.

It's your addition of Summoning before the word Ritual that modifies it to add, in Fundamentalist Christian eyes, a negative association.  Hey guess what, Summoning Rituals (or Spells) are in every version of DnD.  So if that's the problem, it's not removing one word that's going to save that share of the Market.  

I'll be honest, any Parent that makes a distinction between their children casting Spells like in 'Harry Potter, and a summoning ritual (which is also in Harry Potter, btw), needs to have their heads checked.
Right, you are the arbiter of everything good in parenting and spiritual health.  Got it.  I didn't see your credentials at first.

Well I've said my peace.  The people who dont like this kind of terminology aren't on these forums for all the obvious reasons.  The ambivalent ones shouldn't have a vote.

But now its out there and maybe they'll be like "well..  Extended Casting is as good as any other term" and use it instead of unnecessarily using words that are negative associations for people like me.  I won't stop playing DnD because of it either way, as I am far too invested now. 

My interest in this is aimed at the youth who dont play yet.  My mom made me sell all my DnD stuff once over this kind of thing.  It happens when they just dont understand what it really is.  Why add to that?  JUDGING parents negatively (what, because youre such a perfect parent yourself?) for it isn't going to save that kids chances.  So you can be as judgemental and blind to the possibility as you want.  I've seen this happen to ME and I don't want it to happen for other kids, justified or unjustified.

You should think about that before telling me it "doesn't matter".  It does and it DID matter to my mother.  She was just looking out for me, and thats not a motivation I am willing to villify, even if she was wrong.  There's lots of parents who aren't letting their girls wear mini-skirts right now, because of the message it COULD send.  You're gonna' argue "Its just cloth"?   I dont think so.  And a Ritual isn't "Just a word".  It means something to some people.


As has been pointed out, it best describes the players actions in that situation, and likely won't be changed. .



It "best" describes a Mages actions as doing a religious activity?  No.  By definition, no.  Especially when religious Clerics are such a big part of the picture.  BEST describes what will cause the most positive results with the least negative results.  There are no negative results for changing the name except a bunch of gamers have to incorporate a new word.  wow.  Wonder if they can handle it?

Ritual magic in Shadowrun seems the likely source of this terminology but who knows.  game designers float and work on all kinds of projects.

Thaumaturgy was just an example.   I am not married to that term.  The game could simply call it Extended Casting.  It could be called a lot of things.  Point is we are reinventing the game ANYWAYS...  why does it seem best practices to leave a loaded word as the place holder?  If you know it can evoke a negative image, why keep doing it?  To prove a point?

Personally, I'd be all about doing whatever I could to recapture marketshare.



"Anyway" is an adverb, and cannot be pluralized.

Anyway, one person objects to the word. That's not a reason to change it. "Extended Casting" is non-immersive and forced. This is silly.

And we aren't ambivilent, and you sure as HELL don't get to decide who gets a vote, buddy.

People get turned off by all sorts of things.  Some people dont care that a certain spider cant hurt them.  They fear all spiders.  It doesn't have to make sense to YOU.

Pretend that Christians have no problem with this ritual stuff if you want to.  But theres a lot of Christians (for example) that would not be caught dead playing a game that encouraged desensitizing yourself to the idea of rituals.  The word has impact, meaning.  Same people love watching Harry Potter movies, might not say a word when their kids pretend to cast Harry Potter spells in the back yard.  But if they walked up to mom and dad and said "we're performing a summoning ritual" uh...  Might not get as cheery a reaction.

Its the connotations, not the definitions that are the issue.  "magic" can be good.  Heck there was a good witch in the Wizard of Oz!  But you start doing "rituals" and that enters another area.  More sinsiter somehow.

You can call people "dumb" for disliking the Swastika.  It evokes a reaction, it has meaning and though its origin might be known, it's connotation is dislikes almost universally.  It symbolizes something evil that happened.

So if it costs NOTHING to change it...why oppose it?



lol because the number of people who think that ritual means devil worship, but are totally fine with their kids pretending to worship the Raven Queen or even Pelor, Raise Dead as a magic spell, etc is just so small that it does not matter.

And because Ritual perfectly desrcibes what is being done.

And every other reason that has been given to you, that you refuse to recognize in any way.

Anyone put off by "Ritual" won't care that it's called [gag] "Extended Casting", because their kid is pretending to summon a monster! With magic! The word ritual just isn't going to impact more potential customers, but it is far and away the best word for what is being represented.

The game should never back down to judgemental, uninformed, reactionary, fear mongering fundementalist. Never.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
And every other reason that has been given to you, that you refuse to recognize in any way.

Anyone put off by "Ritual" won't care that it's called [gag] "Extended Casting", because their kid is pretending to summon a monster! With magic! The word ritual just isn't going to impact more potential customers, but it is far and away the best word for what is being represented.

The game should never back down to judgemental, uninformed, reactionary, fear mongering fundementalist. Never.



To point out a fact...

Jancoran hasn't refused to recognize the reasons presented to him from you and many other posters in this thread...he has tried his best to describe his experience with terminology, and the impact such terminology has had to his days of gaming.

I've had similar experiences, though not with games...but instead with novels. I had a series of books that I liked reading, and got my hands on one that I had a particularly difficult time finding...entitled Evil Inc. Was the book about evil itself, or being evil? Nope. Did my foster parents read it to find out that it was simply the title to a mystery? Nope. I came home from school to find my entire series in the garbage...because of the title of that one book.

Now...as for calling my DM (Jancoran) names, no matter how true you may think it is...that goes against the Respect, Edition Warring, and Edition Warriors (Read before posting) thread, and you should be reported.
And every other reason that has been given to you, that you refuse to recognize in any way.

Anyone put off by "Ritual" won't care that it's called [gag] "Extended Casting", because their kid is pretending to summon a monster! With magic! The word ritual just isn't going to impact more potential customers, but it is far and away the best word for what is being represented.

The game should never back down to judgemental, uninformed, reactionary, fear mongering fundementalist. Never.



To point out a fact...

Jancoran hasn't refused to recognize the reasons presented to him from you and many other posters in this thread...he has tried his best to describe his experience with terminology, and the impact such terminology has had to his days of gaming.

I've had similar experiences, though not with games...but instead with novels. I had a series of books that I liked reading, and got my hands on one that I had a particularly difficult time finding...entitled Evil Inc. Was the book about evil itself, or being evil? Nope. Did my foster parents read it to find out that it was simply the title to a mystery? Nope. I came home from school to find my entire series in the garbage...because of the title of that one book.

Now...as for calling my DM (Jancoran) names, no matter how true you may think it is...that goes against the Respect, Edition Warring, and Edition Warriors (Read before posting) thread, and you should be reported.



I never called him any names. He suggested that one reason Ritual shouldn't be used is that some people freak out about anything remotely related to what might be perceived as devil worship. He even pointed out that this isn't his POV.

I made a statement in response to that idea. That's it.


The game shouldn't bend over to the will of the crazies. My own parents, who I love dearly, have at times suffered from that brand of crazy, and I had to hide music, books and games from them because of it. Should the creators of those products have modified them to take into account the crazy of my parents?

No. Absolutely, emphatically not.


Quote me text from this thread wherein he actually responds to the points being made, rather than just reiterating in different words what he's already said. Because most of this thread has been him saying essentially the same things he said in the OP, and quibbling about definition vs usage. OK, I'll give you that one, he responds when people bring up the varied definitions and uses of the term, by insisting that their points don't matter.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome