YMTC Idol: Round 2

70 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMTCIdol10logo.jpg)

Welcome to the 10th installment of YMTC Idol!

YMTC Idol has come to be one of the longest running contests on these forums, and I'm happy to help usher it into its 10th year of challenging creative minds to etch their names into YMTC history.

The previous year saw thirty contestants enter the fray; in the end, Mown was left victorious. Thirty-nine hopefuls came to this year's call, but only twenty-four made it through the auditions, with four falling in the round thereafter. Should you wish to reach glory, you must face the challenges set forth by my magnanimous panel. Your judges this year are...

[color=brown]Mown[/color], the winner of YMTC Idol 9!...
Kavu_Overlord, the winner of YMTC Idol 8!...
And your host, Rush_Clasic, the winner of... um... erm... your hearts and affections!

Contestants
AnubisDread
chinkeeyong
Cold_Articuno
Degauss
Detektor
Elzaban_the_Ethereal
Exxile72
Freyjann
iamajellydonut
Imidazoline
Mono789
pietro_aronica
razorborne
Sebanovich
silasw
squinty_eyes
stinkyjoeterry
Tekkahedron
vlord
Yushang

[color=purple]Round 2 Criteria[/color]:
Commons are the greatest asset to any given set: they show off the themes, make limited work, provide a general mass of deckbuilding tools, and so on. One of the greater jobs they can serve is to grease the different archetypes; that is, they provide general options and work-throughs to make the greater ideas within the set work. A clever common that works as fodder for the set can go miles toward making it better.

Assignment:
Below is a list of 8 keyword abilities, 2 of which are slotted to be in the upcoming set Darkscape. Using 2 of those 8 as a basis, design a common card that uses neither of those keyword abilities, but would play well with both. Your card is to be a "grease" card, helping make both strategies provided by your chosen abilities easier to play. Include the 2 keywords you've chosen in your submission post. Yes, this is similar to the audition, but I'm hoping it forces a different set of skills out of my contestants.

graftconspireexaltedninjutsudelvechangelingsunburstprovoke

You have five days to submit your card. Four contestants will be eliminated this round.

Good luck!
Contestants

Purple_Shrimp

didn't i get knocked out last round?
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

Maybe.  I thought I barely made it last round, but my name isn't up there.  Oh well.  There's always next year.  ^_^

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Rush, how long have you had these criteria prepped for? Really liking them so far.

For me the clear overlap is with conspire and exalted. But given that only needs a vigilance vanilla to make work, I'm making the call that that's not up to snuff for Idol. I was then tempted to make a card that was anti-mechanic, before I read the criteria again. 
Eventually I settled on the unlikely combination of ninjutsu and provoke.

Dirty Streetfighter |
Creature - Human Warrior
Blocked creatures you control get +1/+0.
War is one thing, but these streets are his.
2/2

So the overlap is around blocking, the worse you make blocking for your opponent, the better off you're going to be. You can force trades while threatening a ninja, or flat out pump your provoking guy. I feel the single colour cost is important for a limited common, especially when ninjutsu is unlikely to be a major  part of red mechanically.
Yay for good criteria. 
Oooh, relieved to be making it, even if barely. I was starting to have flashbacks of my previous participation, where I was eliminated at the first hurdle.
If you look at my CardThread, where the card first appeared, it was a 5/5, but I felt that that may have been a bit too good, and played it safe. Now, I think 5/5 is probably ok, or even 6/6, considering how it's only good on turn 1, and pretty bad in multiples. But hey, happy to have made it.
Card for this round to come, here's a very simple placeholder in case things go wrong.

Vexinus' Familiar
Creature - Bird
Flying
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 blue Fish creature token onto the battlefield.
Vexinus sought knowledge from any source. He trained his kingfishers to bring him their prey so that he might study it.
1/1

This card works with conspire and ninjutsu: obviously, the two tokens with the same colour would enable conspire, and a cheap evasion creature would enable ninjutsu, with the added bonus of repating the ETB trigger. Really simple, perhaps too much. I'll try to come up with something less obvious and more interesting.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Yay makeshift stuff.

Cytoplast Peddler
Creature -- Human Mutant (C)
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter target creature you control.
"Just 10 Ravs and you'll get the new and improved bioshoot! Productivity will skyrocket, if you don't mind the smell."
2/1

Entire rewrite for this.

Basically, this can work for Graft, Ninjutsu and Provoke.  I'm going to highlight Graft and Provoke.  The graft bit is obvious.  Provoke is where you get to force blockers, hopefully letting you pick what gets through, like this guy.

BASIC AND EASY.
\o/
Yeah Round 2!

Finally, going with Conspire and provoke.

1st idea rejected

I finally came up with a spell for graft and sunburst, but it looks too similar to what CKY has done.

So I'll be going with Sunburst and Graft.  With the obvious +1/+1 theme.

Darkscape is the first set of the block Betrothal, relating the chronicles following the escape of the surviving Mirrodin and Karn and their alliance with Esper (from Alara) against the phyrexians.

Darkscape focus on how Mirrodin survives and merge their power with Esper.

--------------  
Artifact - Equipment 
Equiped creature has trample and +1/+1 for each counter on it.
Remove a counter from a creature you control: Attach --- to this creature
Equip

Tactical Training 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature has first strike and vigilance.
"Victory doesn't depend on the number of hours you spend fighting but the number of hours you spend practicing"

I looked up to see if it was already existing and was happily surprised it didn't.  Works perfectly with both conspire (vigilance) and provoke (first strike).

worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
I'll be doing Sunburst and Delve. It seems overly simplistic to do this card honestly, but it fits so well and IS a common so...

Managorged Goblin
Creature - Goblin Shaman
Sacrifice Managorged Goblin: Add two mana of any combination of colors to your mana pool.
Some goblins develop a taste for the raw clouds of mana that cover Althos. When they do, 'eating until they burst' becomes disturbingly literal.
2/2 
Conspire and Delve!

Till the Graves |
Sorcery

Put the top 3 cards of your library into your graveyard. Put a 1/1 black Skeleton creature token into the battlefield for each creature card put into your graveyard in this way.

You don't always find corpses when digging up graves.
I love "grease" cards. I always called them "bridge" cards. They insprire the occasional casual deck as well as being great in limited.

Graft and Changeling
Did you notice that all the Graft creatures are Mutants? I see no reason why that would change if Graft is brought back. So...

Repository Guard
Creature - Elf Warrior
When Repository Guard dies, put a +1/+1 counter on each Mutant you control.
3/2
To prevent the mutants from becoming too powerful, the most radical genetic research was locked away underground.
Contestants

Purple_Shrimp

Ya, my mistake. Sorry for dishing out false hope.
Ninjutsu, Provoke

Hederfield Roughrider
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
When Hederfield Roughrider enters the battlefield, target creature gets +1/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn.
Hederfield Roughrider can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.
2/2

Ninjutsu really likes enters the battlefield effects and evasive abilities.  Provoke creatures like making sure they don't simply trade with the creature they're provoking.  Add this together for a neat little common.  I also figured it would be neat if I did a combination that wasn't really to be expected, since the abilities kind of contrast each other.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

Conspire-Delve

Corpse Mulching -
Sorcery
Search your library for up to four creature cards and put them into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library. For each card put into your graveyard in this way, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play.
"Then a pinch of salt..." -Homrag Caretaker

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Well, let's see. No way in hell is Sunburst going in a set called Darkscape, and I doubt we'll ever see Ninjutsu outside of Kamigawa or Changeling outside of Lorwyn. Graft could fit into another set, but it has very biopunk flavour to it that won't fit into most settings. That leaves Conspire, Exalted, Delve and Provoke. I've always thought Provoke should have been evergreen (perhaps under a broader name like Hunt), so that's going to be one of them.

Exalted and Provoke combine rather nicely, allowing you to swing with a single beatstick and choose its target. We've already seen Exalted return in black, so there's some leeway in terms of colour. Conspire sort of combines with Provoke in that you could use an untapped creature to copy a Conspire spell, but that's only if your opponent is the one using the keyword. Delve... has nothing whatsoever to do with provoke. Yeah, let's stick with Exalted and Provoke.

*temporary*

Might of Chariots 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and can't be blocked my more than one creature. 
Tramplecast (You may cast this when one or more creatures you control deal more than enough damage to destroy their blockers. Each extra point of damage reduces this card's cost by or one mana of the dealer's color.)

The reminder text isn't the actual rules text (obviously), but I think it gets the point across well enough in an expert-level expansion.
musings and sich

1. Graft

2. Conspire

3. Exalted

4. Ninjutsu

5. Delve

6. Changeling

7. Sunburst

8. Provoke

just so they're in a nice, convenient place. let's get started, shall we? there's only 28 combinations, so I'm gonna look at all of them. I'll look at the cross-sections of the mechanical needs and figure out where we have the strongest overlap.

Graft-Conspire: well, there's tokens I suppose. making more creatures helps conspire, and it helps graft divide up its counters quickly. not all that appealing, though.

Conspire-Exalted:  Conspire wants more creatures, exalted has no use for them. something like ambassador oak might work, in that it comes ready-packed with conspire bodies and the big guy helps you swing with exalted while the little guy helps stop their attacks. maybe some variant that makes a defender. possible.

Exalted-Ninjutsu: this is almost too easy. evasion makes both way better. certainly a very strong possibility.

Ninjutsu-Delve: some form of self-milling is what delve needs, which is of no help to ninjutsu, while the evasion ninjutsu needs does nothing for delve. pretty much no crossover.

Delve-Changeling: Changeling's an interesting one, because it does nothing on its own. which means if I include it, my card needs to make direct reference to a creature type. delve doesn't fit into that at all.

Changeling-Sunburst: the first thing that comes to mind is an elf-lord that lets elves tap for any color. lets you turn your changelings into mana factories, and gives you the color diversity for sunburst. possible.

Sunburst-Provoke: no real overlap here. the only option is like a mark of sakiko-like deal that gives you different colors, since provoke helps your other creatures slip through, but it doesn't really help provoke. not a fan.

Provoke-Graft: well, the most obvious is a battlegrowth effect. charges up the grafters while helping the provokers win bigger fights. mayhaps.

Graft-Exalted: actually a pretty good fit. graft helps pump up the one big guy, then you swing with him. that said, not much I can really do with it.

Conspire-Ninjustu: this is an interesting one. one thing that ninjutsu loves is EtB abilities. one thing Conspire loves is two creatures that are the same color, made possible by things like mogg war marshal. I could see that happening here. and as a bonus the tokens make it easier to swarm around and get a ninja through.

Exalted-Delve: what

Ninjutsu-Changeling: this is nice because Ninjutsu is a tribal mechanic, in that it only goes on Ninjas. so any ninja lord will inherently help ninjutsu, and changelings can come along for the ride.

Delve-Sunburst: ooh, I'm a sneaky one. one thing sunburst loves is cost increasers, since if the card costs less than five you can't get all your counters. one thing Delve doesn't particularly love but is well-equipped to deal with is cost-increasers. it's a stretch to call it helping, but a deck full of delve cards can more effectively deal with a sphere of resistance-type effect than one that isn't. unfortunately, of two cost increasers in extended, both are rare. ah, well.

Changeling-Provoke: eh.

Sunburst-Graft: the two both play with +1/+1 counters, but Sunburst creatures don't use them once they're out, so battlegrowth effects are out. a way of utilizing counters might work though.

Provoke-Conspire: not much overlap here. maybe I could come up with a way, but eh.

Graft-Ninjutsu: actually a fairly good combination, as ninjaing away a graft creature resets his counters. even something as simple as "creatures with +1/+1 counters gain flying" could do wonders here. helps a dedicated graft deck, obviously, and even if you're mostly a ninjutsu deck, pop a couple graft or otherwise becountered creatures in and watch your ninjas suddenly get through all the time. and if you can get those counters on your ninjas, watch out. not sure that's common though. feels like a build-around-me uncommon.

Conspire-Delve: shut up Delve. I do not want to use you. you broke my heart after sunburst.

Exalted-Changeling: there's some options here, like "whenever ~ attacks, it gets +1/+1 for each knight you control, enabling exalted decks which tend to have knights to have a big dumb beater, while changelings just have a guy who chills with them. but commonness kills that.

Ninjutsu-Sunburst: evasion and multicoloredness. eh. not much here.

Delve-Provoke: Delve, no one likes you. that said, one thing Provoke does is make your creatures die. one thing Delve likes is cards in your graveyard. I'm not really sure how to make this work since Delve prefers them dumped en masse, so simple deathgreeter triggers won't be good enough. eh, screw it. screw Delve.

Changeling-Graft: Changeling gets screwed by the commonness rule. lords aren't usually common.

Sunburst-Conspire: nah.

Provoke-Exalted: I like this, but due to the way the screen display is set up, I can see that's what Detektor did. I'm gonna avoid stepping on his toes.

Graft-Delve: seriously, Delve. go away.

Conspire-Changeling: any card that can help both of these is gonna be stupid.

Exalted-Sunburst: exalted needs big guys and/or evasion. sunburst needs multiple colors. one could argue that ramp helps exalted because it gets you your big guys faster, and if it's fixing too it helps sunburst. but that's bland.

Ninjutsu-Provoke: pump is the common thread here. once your ninjas are down, you need a way to get them through, and pump helps that, especially on-board pump that scares them away from blocking instead of just ambushing them for it. could work.

overall, I think I like Ninjutsu-Exalted. evasion is powerful anyway, but cheap evasion is great in both those decks. I've double-checked, there's plenty of unblockable common creatures, so that means I can do this:

Karagiri's Pawn-
Creature-Human Soldier
Karagiri's Pawn is unblockable as long as you control an untapped creature.
"Her lies are legendary, her word not worth the air it is spoken on. And yet, with each passing day, her masses grow."~Severin Col, Councilman
1/1

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

okay the sblocks aren't working for some reason, so FYI there's a submission in there. it's this:

overall, I think I like Ninjutsu-Exalted. evasion is powerful anyway, but cheap evasion is great in both those decks. and also, exalted makes sense for samurais too, so another Japan-themed world with it is a possibility. I've double-checked, there's plenty of unblockable common creatures, so that means I can do this:

Karagiri's Pawn-
Creature-Spirit
Karagiri's Pawn is unblockable as long as you control an untapped creature.
"In the Shadowheart, the lines between the spirit realm and our own is blurred. It is on this divide that the Spirit Witch makes her home."~Guo-Ten The Unsung
1/1

this is my official submission, so that I don't have to edit both if I do edit.

there's only 28 combinations, so I'm gonna look at all of them.

You're a crazy man.
there's only 28 combinations, so I'm gonna look at all of them.

You're a crazy man.

Seconded.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
I mean half of them are just an immediate "no that's dumb". those didn't take long.

I mean half of them are just an immediate "no that's dumb". those didn't take long.

I'm sure those combinations were saying the same thing about you to your back.
You Make the Card
Mafia History

I'm sure those combinations were saying the same thing about you to your back.

man like I care what Delve thinks.

YOU HEAR THAT, DELVE? I'M CALLING YOU OUT.

Graft and exalted:

Unleashed Potential

Instant (C)

Double the number of +1/+1 counters on target creature.

"In his darkest hour, as Nethva accepted Lord Okosh with all his heart, the sparks of power within him ignited one by one. Gone was Nethva the pilgrim; Shinethva, the first of the Divine Beasts, was born."
–Tales of the Parathanali

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Graft and Ninjutsu.

Riftwatcher -
Creature - Dryad
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may pay . If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
"We prepared for you, was it a pleasant trip?" --Jondal the Gatekeeper
1/2

Umm, I dunno.

Bonus to round 2: Anyone who makes a card from the "no that's dumb" scale automatically ranks above razor.

Awesome, I was already working on one that seems to be in the "no that's dumb" pile.

Darkscape takes place in an almost lightless subterranean world, where many of the surface races fled when a magical cataclysm rendered it unlivable. This, of course, brought them into conflict with those who called the cavernous reaches home before. The returning mechanics for this set are Sunburst and Delve. Sunburst represents the surfacer reliance on light to provide their mana, forcing them to seek out chasms and pits that let the sunlight through, and constructing focusing apparatuses to spread that light to all who need it. Delve represents the subterranean understanding of the ephemeral nature of life and the need to recycle what few resources they have to survive.

The trogs have a foot in both worlds, as they had always lived in the Darkscape, but they also knew the power that could be gained from the sun. Those among them who seek out and defend these sunspots are called luminaries, and they are held in high regard in trog culture. They are the keepers of mana, and are depicted frequently in the trogs' extensive murals and natural sculptures.

Trog Luminary
Creature - Troglodyte Shaman C
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. The next spell you cast this turn costs an additional to cast.
Before the Downfall, the trogs dwelled below the surface, seeking what light they could. They have not changed since.
1/1
Lets go with Sunburst and Delve. I could see an underdark type setting where pockets of sunshine are coming through from beneath! Explorers start finding artifacts from below as well, and the race for the source of all this in the Deeps is on!

Fractured Prism 
Artifact
, : Put the top card of your library into your graveyard. Add one mana of any color to your mana pool as long as no cards of that color are in your graveyard.
By looking through its different facets, you may see dozens of realities that could have been.

Edited! I like this version because if you work for it, (or just get lucky) you can immediately get 2 mana's worth out of one activation! Also, the mana ends up being pretty specifically for Sunburst instead of just letting you splash colors (like most prisms do). It might be kind of strong for a common, but I feel that any casting or activation cost adjustment would be R&D's department, while the function of the card would remain the same.
Bonus to round 2: Anyone who makes a card from the "no that's dumb" scale automatically ranks above razor.

Already have Conspire-Delve going.

Edit: Aaand DONE!  
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

shut up Rush.

PS: sunburst-delve is not on the no that's dumb list. I put a lot of thought into that one. 

Darkscape must be a set where darkness plays an important role, so Delve seems the most reasonable pick for a keyword. By contrast, Sunburst makes up for an enemy mechanic, practically and flavorfully

I choose Sunburst + Delve

Boundaries of Imagination
Sorcery
Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped.
While you're searching your library, you may cast § from it as long as you own an exiled card of each color.
Extend your imagination all over the world, and your home will be everywhere

You may play this card at early game as a plain and simple land ramp with a slightly upped cost. Otherwise, when you've delved deep enough into your mind, this may become a better land ramp, allowing you to "invent" up to four lands from your library
Ok, so I'm gonna one up everyone so far.

I choose:
Graft, Exalted, AND Sunburst.

On top of that I'm gonna pretend that Darkscape is the Second Set in the upcoming Rav Block where Power (Essence Harvest, Rush of Blood, etc.) and Toughness matter (Sheltering Word, Fight, etc.).

Doubling Growth
Instant
Target creature gets +X/+Y until end of turn, where X is the difference between that creatures printed power and its current power and Y is the difference between that creature's printed toughness and its current toughness.
And it became a necessity that the remnants of the Selesnya focus on getting the most of what little magic they had remaining...

So a couple things to point out here. 

A) By using the difference, it IS intentional that a Shrunk creature gains P/T.  This card alone is worse than most pump spells so I had to give it a wider range.
B) I needed to be careful about wording, I used "Printed" because it would be a severe memory issue to make it "Original" if creatures ETB with bonuses.  While I certainly could have omitted "Current" I felt it made a slightly complex card more clear which is important at the common level
C) I made it G/W instead of just green so it could have a broader playability as well because it is so circumstantial.  Luckily, white and green are the colors that make the most use of P/T boosting so it should have a nice home there.
ATTENTION WIZARDS OF THE COAST: You have full rights to use any of my intellectual property found on these boards (I'm not going to use it and it'd be a shame to waste it). -Dr. Stinkyjoeterry, Ph.D.
After having acute bronchitis and nearly no sleep for the last 7 days, hopefully my submission will be somewhat up to par.

I'll go with Exalted and Graft.

Stalking Cub  
Creature - Cat
Whenever ~ attacks alone, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

The wild, forest-dwelling lynxes separate from their packs at an early age.  Their ability to hunt in swift silence leaves many a prey dead before they can blink.

1/1
Previous submission
Darkscape is a set about Sansol and it's permanently eclipsed sun. The climate has become cold and icy, the people of the plane huddle together in small groups to give each other strength. It is believed that dark mages called the 'Noctel Cabal', are responsible for the eclipse as the source of thier power is from the absence of light or shadows. Darkscape is a story of survival in a dark and dangerous world.

The set will feature Exalted as a community strength mechanic, Delve as a representation of the new dark mgic that has been unleashed by the 'Noctel Cabal' and a new mechanic Insanity - a creature ability that interacts with the library and the graveyard to represent the mass hysteria caused by the solar eclipse.

Insanity (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put that many cards from the top of your library into your graveyard). In this set, this will often be a disadvantage to the light side but an advantage to the dark side (in the form of Delve).

In summary, I have chosen: Exalted and Delve.

My submission:
Solus, Yeti of the North |
Creature - Yeti [Common]
Treat ~ as if you don't control it. (Effects that refer to 'creature you control' don't effect this creature, you decide the actions of this creature)
Insanity (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put that many cards from the top of your library into your graveyard)
Not even Ogres want to be friends with a huge, mad, smelly, 10ft yeti...
3/3

Might edit this if I have time. Cheers, vlord.

In an attempt to simplify my submission to a common (I was never happy with the complexity level really).

Story: Darkscape is a story of a desert plane, Sansol, ruled by an elite, who bury thier dead leaders in tombs. The current ruling leader is very unpopular with his subjects. A recent, solar eclipse has frightened the people and have started to revolt. Many have turned to the tombs of the dead kings, to uncover magic to help them defeat the ruling elite. Delve plays the part of a searching mechanic (through the tombs/graveyard) and Ninjustu plays the part of the assassins that the ruling elite use to eliminate thier opposition.

Chosen: Ninjutsu and Delve

Undead King | m()
Creature - Zombie [Common]
When ~ enters the battlefield, put the top card of your library into your graveyard.
As long as you have one or more cards in your graveyard, ~ gets +1/+0 and has Intimidate (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a colour with it.).
"An undead king is the best placed and the least likely to reveal the secrets of thier tomb..."
1/1

A flavorful (IMO) common, yay! So you can either use it as an unblockable Ninjutsu swapper or use his 'secret' to activate Delve. Hybrid mana cost fits flavorfully whilst allowing both mechanics colours a way to play it easily on the second turn.

Cheers, vlord.
Vermin Breeder
Creature - Human Minion
Blocked insects get +1/+0.
It's as harmless as a fly
- sarcastic Darkscape expression meaning
"don't go anywhere near that thing"
1/1

In the spirit of Goatnapper, but with a simpler ability to justify the rarity.  I'd like to do a more creative ability, but I think some of the mechanics presented so far, while cool, are too complex for common, and so I kept the card straightfoward.  The two mechanics this "greases" are Changeling and Provoke.
Yay, 5 days. Will Mown get his grades up before the eighteenth, allowing us to continue witht the third round is his absence? Stay tuned!
Probably not, that guy is such a lazy bastard.
Besides, he just got some new games.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Aw crud.
You have until midnight to complete your entires.

But midnight where? Muahahahahapsthahahahahahaha! 

Would it have anything to do with the Humble Indie Bundle IV?

Pffft. How much fun could games be really, compared to the largely thankless task of grading and ranking fantasy fantasy cards? A bit warped if you ask me...
Pffft. How much fun could games be really, compared to the largely thankless task of grading and ranking fantasy fantasy cards? A bit warped if you ask me...

seriously. you could live out some stupid hero's journey, or you could have a bunch of people yell at you that you just didn't get their design. where are your priorities, Mown?

Would it have anything to do with the Humble Indie Bundle IV?

No, I only bought that for the soundracks. The only game that interested me out of the bunch was SMB, I have Bastion, Braid and Limbo, and there's no way in hell I'm playing Amnesia.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Sign In to post comments