[M13-ICD] Primal Huntbeast

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Primal Huntbeast
Creature - Beast (C)
Hexproof
"To the unskilled, it appears as blurred patches of distorted light. Few have seen its true form." -Garruk Wildspeaker
3/3

Thanks to MTGSalvation for this information.

Discuss.  

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Well this'll help auras get drafted in Limited!
Like it more then Sacred Wolf
The flavor text is similar to the pokedex entry for mew. Sadly it is ugly.
god i hate hexproof.
Solid beater in limited. Seriously though, wotc needs to cool their hexproof engines.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Purdy pictures
The flavor text is similar to the pokedex entry for mew. Sadly it is ugly.

Now I'm going to forever hear the Pokedex voice whenever Garruk speaks...

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Huntbeast?

...Huntbeast? 
I guess its a beast that really likes hunting.
And since we can see it, we must not be the unskilled?
I guess its a beast that really likes hunting.
And since we can see it, we must not be the unskilled?

You're actually looking at a rock.

The huntbeast is hidden in that picture.
Huntbeast is an unusually crap portmanteau. Crapmanteau.
That flavor text does not feel like something Garruk would say. It really should just be unattributed. It makes Garruk sound like he's talking to himself, or waxing philosophical or something. I'm not saying Garruk can't be intelligent in flavor text, but this just reads like something you'd find in a textbook, not something anyone would say.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
That flavor text does not feel like something Garruk would say. It really should just be unattributed. It makes Garruk sound like he's talking to himself, or waxing philosophical or something. I'm not saying Garruk can't be intelligent in flavor text, but this just reads like something you'd find in a textbook, not something anyone would say.

Could be worse.

Could be worse.

Yes, that's not something Jace would really say, and does paint Garruk in a negative light. However, at least it's something someone might say.

This is like someone reading an encyclopedia aloud. "Hey, did you know that 'To the unskilled...'"
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Could be worse.

How is that worse?
Ok, to all the guys that recoil at the mere sight of the hexproof keyword, repeat after me:

High combat stats = No problem
Evasion] = No problem
Hexproof = No problem

High combat stats + Evasion Annoying, better not printed but not format warping except the most extreme cases
Hexproof + Evasion Boring and uninteractive but answerable anyway. Hell, it happened before with Silhana Ledgewalker and it wasn't a big deal.

Hexproof + Evasion + Big combat stats They only case where hexproof is overpowered and card should be avoided at all costs. Probably banworthy.

Now, the first practical exercise: judge the spoiled card and put it where it fits. Does it really deserve the scandal?
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited

It's not like this is new for Garruk. He's been appreciative on creatures and philosophical on the world before. Heck, despite his disdain for civilization I'd say he's more erudite than miss "no inside voice" Chandra on average. Not to say that Chandra's dumb at all.
Could be worse.

How is that worse?

It's horribly out of character.
Ok, to all the guys that recoil at the mere sight of the hexproof keyword, repeat after me:

High combat stats = No problem
Evasion] = No problem
Hexproof = No problem

High combat stats + Evasion Annoying, better not printed but not format warping except the most extreme cases
Hexproof + Evasion Boring and uninteractive but answerable anyway. Hell, it happened before with Silhana Ledgewalker and it wasn't a big deal.

Hexproof + Evasion + Big combat stats They only case where hexproof is overpowered and card should be avoided at all costs. Probably banworthy.

Now, the first practical exercise: judge the spoiled card and put it where it fits. Does it really deserve the scandal?

Geist is your example of a broken creature with Hexproof? I mean, yeah, he's good. But so long as you aren't playing some stupid control deck he's not that hard to deal with. More than likely you'll just take the 4 once, and then he'll be dead.

That said, the spoiled card isn't anything to worry about either. He's not gonna see constructed play, and limited isn't going to be too heavy on removal anyway. (Although core sets do have a fair bit, but still.) The point is, the Hexproof will more often than not be irrelevant, and he'll just be a vanilla 3/3 for 4. Not terrible, but not good by any means either.

javert, you missed one combination, big stats + hexproof but no evasion. I guess the entry for that is just chump block all day? Anyway, yeah hexproof is a legitimate ability when its used fairly as you say. I don't see Aven Fleetwing tearing up Constructed tables. Whereas Grave Titan has neither hexproof nor evasion and is still crazy powerful.

miilkshake I dunno if you have played against Geist of St Traft much. One thing wrong with what you say is if you have a 2 power blocker, they just won't attack with their geist for a few turns until they clear the blocker out of the way. But you're not getting any advantage in this situation either because if you attack, they can take it and then hit you back for more. Or sometimes you're on 4 or less life so they attack their geist into certain death anyway for the sake of killing you. And it's not only control decks that have trouble with him. A simple Honor of the Pure might be enough to help him win fights against a regular size aggro creature or against a utility land fetching creature. A Vapor Snag will make the midrange player cop 7 damage. And what can any deck do if he has a sword of appropriate color?
Annoying to play against in limited, should be interesting.  
How to Auto Card
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck
Auto Deck
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4x Halimar Depths 4X Unstable Frontier 8X Island 4X Swamp Creatures 12 4x Hedron Crabs 4x Nemesis of Reason 4x Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4X Spreading Seas 4X Suffer the Past 4x Mind Funeral 4X Archive Trap 4X Ponder 4x Into the Roil 4X Soul Manipulation {/deck}
How often do you want to use your limited removal against a Hill Giant anyway? Unless someone puts volcanic strength on him when you are using mountains... landwalk is such a #####y ability
Hexproof is the stupidest least skill intensive ability ever I hate it.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Hexproof is the stupidest least skill intensive ability ever I hate it.

I hate it too. Shround actually made it a skill with both players. Hexproof just screws over one. Not to mentioned since hexproof says" opponents" it allows allies to buff too which is so dumb in multiplayer formats.
god i hate hexproof.

This.
The art on this card sucks. All it is is blurred patches of distorted light.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
The art on this card sucks. All it is is blurred patches of distorted light.

looks pretty true to me
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
To all those Hexproof haters out there, here are the cards with hexproof currently in standard (grouped as I feel they are in constructed, feel free to make your own judgments):

OP
Geist of Saint Traft
Invisible Stalker
Sigarda, Host of Herons
Thrun, the Last Troll

Dangerous
Angelic Overseer
Asceticism
Drogskol Captain
Dungrove Elder
Lone Revenant
Lord of the Unreal
Swiftfoot Boots

Annoying
Elgaud Shieldmate
Lumberknot
Mask of Avacyn
Ranger's Guile
Sheltering Word
Witchbane Orb

Crap
Aven Fleetwing
Gladecover Scout
Sacred Wolf

I'm not sure if Thrun belongs in OP or just Dangerous so I played it safe and called him OP.  Being Legendary is the only thing keeping him from being clearly OP.  Honestly, Hexproof isn't the issue by itself here.  It's Hexproof+stats or abilities that make the creatures it's on nigh impossible to deal with in combat.  Giving Hexproof to a Hill Giant just pumps it from Crap to Annoying.  Primal Huntbeast is not an issue.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.