3.5: Succubus Suggestion

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, so the Monster Manual states that a Succubus' kisses carry with them a suggestion spell which compels the creature kissed to accept a new kiss. My players are reasoning that if someone knows that the kisses drain energy, the suggestion could never work, since suggestions break as soon as it is apparent they are obviously harmful.

Obviously it'd be weird for WoTC to write in an ability that can't ever trigger, so what do you guys think?
Alright, so the Monster Manual states that a Succubus' kisses carry with them a suggestion spell which compels the creature kissed to accept a new kiss. My players are reasoning that if someone knows that the kisses drain energy, the suggestion could never work, since suggestions break as soon as it is apparent they are obviously harmful.

Obviously it'd be weird for WoTC to write in an ability that can't ever trigger, so what do you guys think?

You're right, that would be weird. They must have intended it to work, so ignore the exact wording of the suggestion spell and just assume it works as intended. Or, rewrite the succubus to give her a power that works exactly like suggestion except that the victim will never consider her kiss harmful.

(It should be noted that the 4e succubus is not with problems of her own. Her "Charming Kiss" lasts until the succubus or one of its allies attacks the target. But if "Charming Kiss" is considered an attack (which isn't alltogether clear), then using it on a target would end the effect. The target could attack with an immediate interrupt, if it had one, and if the kiss misses the subject is free.)

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Righto! Now I just have to deal with the Kobold player believing it's not "reasonable" for a kobold to be able to be seduced by a Succubus because they're not scaly enough :p
Well, there's always magic, hallucinations, et al. I do recall reading an interesting explanation of love potions and the targeted delusions they induce in the victim in some old fantasy book.

And again, its magic, think up some explanation that sounds good.

Righto! Now I just have to deal with the Kobold player believing it's not "reasonable" for a kobold to be able to be seduced by a Succubus because they're not scaly enough :p

There are more ways to seduce than physically. The White Witch seduced Edmund with Turkish Delight. The One Ring seduces with power.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Fair points, and I thank you both for your input! ^^