Soldier First Class my Warblade!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm sure we've all seen and/or played Final Fantasy VII. I was asked to join into the fray of an epic game being run once a month starting at ECL 21 and to bring a character with starting wealth as a character that I've always wanted to play to the EPIC levels.

I've enjoyed Tome of Battle, but always been shut down on playing classes from there because my typical run of the mill DMs don't like the maneuver system, or whatever excuse they have. So now I've decided on my class as a Warblade, utilizing Iron Heart some Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw Maneuvers I've recreated the Coolest of Cloud Strife's Limit Breaks, and arranged my stats to get Monkey Grip and Wield Over Sized Weapon [Epic Feat] so i can wield a Big Freaking Sword. There are two issues i have, 1) no matter how big my sword is, i still only threaten 5' and can only strike 5' away. A stance i could take would allow me to strike with an additional 5' of reach, but only on my turn. The feat Lunging Strike reduces me to a single attack with an extra 5' reach as a full round action. So what can i do to increase my threatened reach, short of pleading the DM for a "My sword is 12 Feet long, how don't i hit someone 10' away?" ruling.

2) Where should i allocate my wealth? I'm clearly stuck with the 3 Manuals at +5 reducing my 975K to 562.5K I figure i'm putting around 215.5K into my Weapon to make it a +10 Equivalent weapon made of Aurorum with the Spellblade and Sizing properties. So with 347K left over where should i put this? Skin of the Hero is decent at 77K but it's a +3 Deflection, +3 Resistance on saves, and a +3 enhancement to hit. Magic Item Compendium says to upgrade the effects it would bring the cost to a total of 125K for a +5 Deflection, +5 Saves, +3 to Hit. But is it worth it? I could also buy a Belt of Magnificence to gain a +4 to all my stats for only 100K. And a Ring of Universal Resistance (20) for 120K. those three leave me with 2000g for everything else. So do i drop one +2 enchantment from my weapon and keep the resulting 72K for augment crystals and survivability items, or can someone suggest some survivable items for around EPIC campaigns?

I just thought of a third question. Spellblade enhancement costs 6000g and protects from a single spell chosen at creation. So which spell do i protect myself from? It has to be a targeted effect, area effects won't work with this enchantment. At first i was thinking of Energy Drain, but then i realized my Fort save is my strong point, and then laughed at myself because Iron Heart Surge will end any effect that i choose that lasts longer than one round. Broken? Yes... But it makes me not have to worry about that spell. So then what spell do i pick? or should i scrap this entire idea? I was wondering about Disintegrate, but i'm still not sure that it would harm me that well, I would just hope that it would protect my equipment because the sword was specifically designed to absorb that spell, and either let it dissipate harmlessly, or redirect it at another target. Ideas on this?

I've enjoyed Tome of Battle, but always been shut down on playing classes from there because my typical run of the mill DMs don't like the maneuver system, or whatever excuse they have. So now I've decided on my class as a Warblade, utilizing Iron Heart some Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw Maneuvers I've recreated the Coolest of Cloud Strife's Limit Breaks, and arranged my stats to get Monkey Grip and Wield Over Sized Weapon [Epic Feat] so i can wield a Big Freaking Sword. There are two issues i have, 1) no matter how big my sword is, i still only threaten 5' and can only strike 5' away. A stance i could take would allow me to strike with an additional 5' of reach, but only on my turn. The feat Lunging Strike reduces me to a single attack with an extra 5' reach as a full round action. So what can i do to increase my threatened reach, short of pleading the DM for a "My sword is 12 Feet long, how don't i hit someone 10' away?" ruling.

Goliath Barbarian 1 (become Large when raging) (Races of Stone), Psychic Warrior Expansion power (XPH), there are some Deformity feats in BoED, or HoH, or something like that that will give you reach, as well.
A simpler option would be to just wield a glaive or naginata (reach weapons), and refluff them as giant swords.
2) Where should i allocate my wealth? I'm clearly stuck with the 3 Manuals at +5 reducing my 975K to 562.5K I figure i'm putting around 215.5K into my Weapon to make it a +10 Equivalent weapon made of Aurorum with the Spellblade and Sizing properties. So with 347K left over where should i put this? Skin of the Hero is decent at 77K but it's a +3 Deflection, +3 Resistance on saves, and a +3 enhancement to hit. Magic Item Compendium says to upgrade the effects it would bring the cost to a total of 125K for a +5 Deflection, +5 Saves, +3 to Hit. But is it worth it? I could also buy a Belt of Magnificence to gain a +4 to all my stats for only 100K. And a Ring of Universal Resistance (20) for 120K. those three leave me with 2000g for everything else. So do i drop one +2 enchantment from my weapon and keep the resulting 72K for augment crystals and survivability items, or can someone suggest some survivable items for around EPIC campaigns?

It's significantly cheaper to get an an item that grants +1 sacred, deflection, dodge, competence, and luck bonuses to AC than to get one that gives +5 in one of those...  (hint, hint!)
I just thought of a third question. Spellblade enhancement costs 6000g and protects from a single spell chosen at creation. So which spell do i protect myself from? It has to be a targeted effect, area effects won't work with this enchantment. At first i was thinking of Energy Drain, but then i realized my Fort save is my strong point, and then laughed at myself because Iron Heart Surge will end any effect that i choose that lasts longer than one round. Broken? Yes... But it makes me not have to worry about that spell. So then what spell do i pick? or should i scrap this entire idea? I was wondering about Disintegrate, but i'm still not sure that it would harm me that well, I would just hope that it would protect my equipment because the sword was specifically designed to absorb that spell, and either let it dissipate harmlessly, or redirect it at another target. Ideas on this?

Shivering Touch from Frostburn
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls

I'm going to throw out some items. Some of these are redundant with each other, and some could easily be replaced with long-duration buffs from a caster.

• Belt of magnificence (+6): +6 enhancement bonus to all ability scores, 200,000 gp, Miniatures Handbook p42

• Cowl of warding: continuous mind blank and freedom of movement, 200,800 gp, Magic of Faerun p156

• Displacement armor: 50% miss chance, +100,000 gp special ability, Oriental Adventures p122

• Energy immunity buckler: immunity to one energy type for 1 minute as immediate action 1/day, +2 special ability, Magic Item Compendium p11

• Gemstone of fortification (heavy): immunity to critical hits and sneak attack, 35,000 gp + limited wish, Draconomicon p83

• Hathran mask of true seeing: continuous true seeing, 75,000 gp, Unapproachable East p57

• Ring of freedom of movement: continuous freedom of movement, 40,000 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide p232

• Ring of negative protection: immunity to negative levels, 36,000 gp, Magic Item Compendium p126

• Ring of universal energy resistance (major): resistance 30 to all energy types, 180,000 gp, Magic Item Compendium p128

• Soulfire armor: immunity to death effects, energy drain, and negative energy effects, +4 special ability, Book of Exalted Deeds p112

• Third eye conceal: immunity to mind-affecting effects and information-gathering magic, 120,000 gp, Magic Item Compendium p141

Strongarm bracers (Magic Item Compendium) let you wield weapons as though you were one size category larger for only 6,000 gp. Wield oversized weapon works by treating the weapon as smaller, so the effects are cumulative.

Paying for 5 castings of wish at caster level 17 “only” costs 132,650 gp, while a +5 tome or manual coats 137,500 gp. There are 3 grafts in Libris Mortis that give a +4 inherent bonus to strength for 40,000 gp. That's a much better deal than a manual of gainful exercise, even though you can't get the final +1. Alternatively, horn of gorgon (Complete Champion) can be used as an extra component in any spell that gives a bonus to strength for 575 gp. It increases the strength bonus by +2, so you could hit the +5 cap with 2 castings of wish, costing 54,210 gp.

A tooth of Leraje (Tome of Magic, p79) lets you cast greater magic weapon at caster level 20 once per day for 21,600 gp. That or getting a party member to cast it is much cheaper that buying a +5 weapon. An alternative to both aurorum and sizing is a dragonshard pommel stone (The Forge of War, p121). It costs 125% as much as a magic weapon, but it can be attached to any masterwork weapon in 1 minute to grant it the imbued magical abilities. This gives you protection from sundering and allows for changing between special materials, weapon sizes, and weapon types.

A great way to be immune to all kinds of stuff is 5 levels of warforged juggernaut (Eberron Campaign Setting). You'd be behind by 3 initiator levels, but you could still manage a couple of 9th-level maneuvers at 21st level.

Goliath Barbarian 1 (become Large when raging) (Races of Stone), Psychic Warrior Expansion power (XPH), there are some Deformity feats in BoED, or HoH, or something like that that will give you reach, as well.

Deformity (tall) is in Heroes of Horror, and requires Willing Deformity.  There's also Inhuman Reach from Lords of Madness (which requires the Aberration Blood feat), though to be honest, neither one really seems quite right since they require you to be either aberrant or deformed, and it's not something that only applies to the chosen weapon.

I suppose Inhuman Reach is a bit better since you don't need to be evil to use it and you could probably think of Cloud as being a bit aberrant given some of his backstory (the description of whatever Aberration Blood benefit you choose should be easy to reflavour).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Sign In to post comments