Red/Blue Vampire Deck

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, so I'm looking to make this deck a bit more vamprie oriented. I could use to have some more blue pro-vampire spells/creatures and overall cheaper vampries if possible. Any suggestions on multi-mana lands? At the moment its only basic lands. Thanks!

Lands
14x Mountain 
8x Island

Creatures
4x Wingcrafter
4x Falkenrath Exterminator
2x Bloodcrazed Neonate
4x Rakish Heir
2x Heirs of Stromkirk
4x Havengul Vampire
2x Hound of Griselbrand

Other Spells
2x Unsummon
4x Pillar of Flame
2x Ghostform
2x Mana Leak
2x Dissipate
2x Crippling Chill
2x Chandra Nalaar 
Needs Stromkirk Noble since fits well with the deck. Volt Charge would be good since a lot of your creatures use +1/+1 counters and it can get blockers out of the way. Dissipate will be hard for you to cast since you need 2 blue mana and you only have 8 islands. Maybe switch it to mana leak if you want a counterspell or replace it with burn to get past blocker. Chandra Nalaar is not standard legal. Artful dodge might be more useful than ghostform. You can make a creature unblockable for two turns. Also can be the same as ghostform if you have 2 blue mana.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Thanks for the advise. Of course I'll be dropping Chandra, but what else should I drop to make room for those cards? Also, despite how perfect  Stromkirk Noble is, I am on a budget. Any other suggestions in that area? Thanks in advance.
I would replace Bloodcrazed Neonate with Erdwal Ripper - 1 more cost, but has haste and doesn't have the annoying "must attack each turn if able" rule.  And I prefer Falkenwrath Mauraders to Stromkirk Nobles.  The haste is very handy.

I also use Cloak of Mists in my Red/Blue vampire/unblockable deck, which is a legacy card but still very nice in casual play.
Can I ask why you went blue instead of black?  I'm assuming it's for the counters and such, but can never be sure.  The reason I ask is that one of the key vampires (imo) utilizes black.  Stromkirk Captain I feel is a must have in any vampire deck.  +1/+1 and gives them first strike?  It makes playing the noble past turn one a viable thing.  Another vampire that is coming in M13, Vampire Nighthawk is black.  This card can be a game changer under the right conditions.

If removal is what you're worried about, and the reason you went blue, there's still plenty in red/black.  Whipflare and Slagstorm provide great board wipers (and if you've got your guys beefed up a bit, they'll survive).  Doom Blade and Go for the Throat are excellent as well.  

Also, Stromkirk Noble is fairly cheap these days.  At $2 a pop, it fits most budgets.  Here's a copy of my current vampire decklist.

LANDS:
1 Cavern of Souls (currently only own one, or I'd run 4 of)
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Stensia Bloodhall
4 Dragonskull Summit
6 Swamp
7 Mountain

CREATURES:
2 Falkenrath Exterminator (this is what I'll most likely drop for the Nighthawk)
3 Rakish Heir
3 Stromkirk Captain
4 Stromkirk Noble
Bloodline Keeper
3 Olivia Voldaren

SPELLS:
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Slagstorm
4 Go for the Throat
2 Doom Blade
3 Volt Charge

SIDBOARD:
3 Shatter
3 Tribute to Hunger
3 Tragic Slip
3 Sever the Bloodline
3 Surgical Extraction

The current low end cost for this deck via TCGplayer is ~$75.  Is it perfect?  Not by any means.  But it does me good with my FNM meta.  Good luck with vamps. :D
I would suggest going the R/B route as it offers vampires a lot more than Blue does. Stromkirk Captain is a must for vampire decks and black gives you access to more spot removal as well as some other decent vampires.

On a side note, Chandra Nalaar is not standard legal. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12