My campaign idea, plus issues.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am considering running a campaign in a setting where Tiamat was slain by Bahamut and her five severed heads formed the Dragon Lords(not to be confused with the Dragon Overlords of Dragonlance). A thousand year old prophet foretells that Tiamat will return through the Dragon Lords into the mortal realm and conquer it for herself. The PC's main quest then would be to hunt down and slay the Dragon Lords in hopes that it would prevent Tiamat from returning. However it turns out that slaying them is actually what causes Tiamat to enter the mortal realm...

The party would face the first dragon around level 5-7, which brings out the biggest issue in my mind. How can i justify one of the dragons to be weaker than one another if they all came from the same dragon deity?

In your perspective does this campaign(main plot) concept seem like it would be interesting, and what would you reccomend on how to go about handling the dragon lords. Note that there will be various sub-plots and side quests available throughout the course of the campaign, the dragons will "awaken" over the course of time rather than all at once.    
Not all heads were severed equally. 
The powers of the god are distributed amounst the heads equally.  So the more heads slain means the others gain in strength.  Leaves open the oppertunity for one of the heads to be the ones helping the party with info on locations and such.

However, levels 5-7 seem a bit too low for a god's head.
That would definitely solve the problem, and it also gives me the explanation of how Tiamat benefits from their deaths. It will likely be higher level for the dragon lords, i think what i will do is delay the prophecy and have them fight the white dragon lords child.
I was also wondering what people though about the campaign plot in general. I am rather new at developing largescale plots like this and i dont want to embarrass myself in front of the more experienced players in our group.
i think what i will do is delay the prophecy and have them fight the white dragon lords child.

You could, or you could do this:  have the prophecy off the bat.  And make the characters take awhile to get there.

I was also wondering what people though about the campaign plot in general. I am rather new at developing largescale plots like this and i dont want to embarrass myself in front of the more experienced players in our group.

Have a big goal, and then break it down to smaller goals.

Take a paper.  Draw a big arc.  At the end of it, put TIAMAT.  At the top, put PLOT TWIST.  Now pepper that bad boy with module names.  Make the prophesy seem like one thing, and then when the players reach PLOT TWIST, they learn that there is some mysterious person behind the heads orchestrating the whole thing.  Don't have the heads start to be killed till they reach plot twist.

There's a lot more to say, but then it would not be your campaign.  So I'll leave it with you.
Sign In to post comments