Cloudshift As Creature Protection

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
So my creature gets targeted with a Lightning Bolt and I Cloudshift in response

My creature flickers in and out and is a new target.  The bolt no longer has a legal target.

Is this correct?  Is that how flickering works?
This is correct.

When the creature returns to the battlefield, it is no longer considered the same creature it was before. All targets and associations are removed. 
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
The bolt no longer has a legal target.

...because the creature it targeted no longer exists (even after the card comes back to create a new creature), and thus the bolt gets countered.
What happens if you cloudshift a token however? If its exiled wouldnt it just be destroyed?
What happens if you cloudshift a token however? If its exiled wouldnt it just be destroyed?

The token will be exiled, and then it will cease to exist shortly thereafter. It will not return to the battlefield.
A token that leaves the battlefield for any reason can't return, and will cease to exist entirely the next time state-based actions happen (i.e. before anyone can do anything else). This is not destruction - for one thing, destruction is a way of moving from the battlefield to the graveyard, this is movement from (in this case) exile to nowhere. But the token won't be coming back, in any case.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Thanks for the clearity. I was hoping else way so i could cloudshift a seance token before the exile measure. I know this is the topic but what would happen if i were the one get the token on the field for free and then sac/destroy my enchantment (Seance). Would the exile measurement for the token still reslove later at my end step? Thanks.
Sacrificing the token is a delayed trigger created when the token is created. Remonving Seance won't prevent the token from being sacrificed.
… and then, the squirrels came.
Please autocard: [ C]Seance[/C] ⇒ [C]Seance[/C]
Sacrificing the token is a delayed trigger created when the token is created. Remonving Seance won't prevent the token from being sacrificed.

Ok but what if i just so happen to have a torpor orb into play however. (and no clue how to autocard, sorry for that)

Ok but what if i just so happen to have a torpor orb into play however. (and no clue how to autocard, sorry for that)

[ C]Torpor Orb[/C] ⇒ [C]Torpor Orb[/C]

[C]Seance[/C]'s ability is not triggered on creatures entering the battlefield. [C]Torpor Orb[/C] has no effect on it.
Well at least this wasn't a total failure..... Learned how to autocard at least lol!! Appreciate the dissappointment as well as the knowledge ikegami!

The delayed trigger is created when the token is created, not when the token enters the battlfeild. Torper Orb won't prevent the token from being exiled.
… and then, the squirrels came.
Well at least this wasn't a total failure..... Learned how to autocard at least lol!! Appreciate the dissappointment as well as the knowledge ikegami!

use Sundial of the Infinite in response to the exile trigger to keep the token
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments