06/08/2012 LD: "Spellslinging"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I'd care a lot more if it were possible to gunsling limited.  Your Ivory Tower is vastly more of a problem for limited design than it is for constructed design.
Basic lands are already on the official M13 spoiler...

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

You want to know what we think of standard?
It is dominated by a nearly unbeatable aggro(control) deck that is not even in the right color to have highly aggressive creatures. It is not fun to lose to. It is not even fun to play. I don't care how, do something to hose delver. People complained about how caw-blade was too powerful, AND THEN YOU WENT AND DID THE EXACT SAME THING!!!!!!! Give the other colors some love, because blue has gotten the four best creatures ever in the last block. The only remotely comparable cards in the other colors are Wolfir Silverheart and Huntmaster, and they can't even compete with it anymore. Delver's disruption is even burn.

DELVER IS SO OVER-POWERED IT IS RIDICULOUS AND UNFUN TO PLAY AGAINST.
Delver is nix post-rotation, unless Return to Ravnica sets it up with new toys. It doesn't lose Delver or Snapcaster, but it loses much of what makes those cards tick: low cost-high efficient spells that get value after value of fair spells. As long as there isn't as many such highly aggressively costed spells, Delver won't be 5/8 per tourney next season.

I do agree they've broken the rules of the game, however. They decided that since Blue's weakness (having weak creatures) hasn't stopped it from being a good color, "why not see what happens if we do give them great creatures?" So how'd that turn out? I'm so ready for aggressive/colorless Clones to get out.

My last thought is on utility lands. Guys, utility lands used to be uncommon... The new rares ones are not highly sought after because they are not an enjoyable pull. Almost everybody needs manafixing, but utility lands are optional tools that are very deck-dependent. Don't do this again, please.
My last thought is on utility lands. Guys, utility lands used to be uncommon... The new rares ones are not highly sought after because they are not an enjoyable pull. Almost everybody needs manafixing, but utility lands are optional tools that are very deck-dependent. Don't do this again, please.

These lands have very powerful effects that would warp limited if they were uncommon. I really like a lot of them for my casual/EDH decks and they couldn't be printed if they weren't rare.

Also, they're not very expensive, yet still a decent card to get in a booster (you can do a lot worse) so I don't see the problem you're having with them exactly.

Besides, what do you mean in the first place? Utility lands have always existed at both uncommon and rare. Ravnica had them at uncommon because it had shocklands at rare, but still wanted the guild places.
If the event I'm spellslinging at is limited, I will definitely have a limited deck to battle with. I'd guess other spellslingers are the same. Usually, you don't even need a deck: most spellslingers will have Duel Decks on hand.
Magic: The Gathering Rules Manager Wizards of the Coast Follow me @TabakRules
I think this is kinda funnyso far from what I can tell is if anyone is actually complaining about a card or a deck being to powerfull then they are failing as a magic player and not updating there decks to handle such trifles.

Delver did me ok pre AR if it ever flipped and when it did boom, doom bladed every time.
I have never once had a problem with battling a deck other than me getting crappy draws and taking a hand I should of mulled on.

Or you can stop playing online where everyone is running the t1 decks, go buy some real cards stop net decking and hit up a card shop.

That is my one complaint in magic is how many ppl on these forums whine and cry about how this is better than that and yadda yadda.

Grow learn and adapt its stratagy and luck for your gods sake, make your own stratagy.

Just make better common level rares and where be ok cause I have no use for 90% of the rares I get multipuls of in boxes. like Iam ever going to do anything with 10 garruks hords
Learn about autocard here ==> [*c]Lightning Bolt[/*c] Remove "*" and you get Lightning Bolt. IMAGE(http://internetometer.com/image/27264.png) Keep extended alive for future generations so they dont have to sell out for modern. "If there is such a thing as too much power, I have not discovered it." —Volrath
Is "spell slinging" the same as "gun slinging"
It seems like one problem with this is that when you spellsling at a GP you only get feedback from the kind of people who go to GPs. I'm sure you're aware of that, but it seems like getting opinions from other players would be valuable too. I think it would be cool if there were large events that appealed to players of all skill levels and play styles. A bit like prereleases now, but bigger. You could have one in each big city, and they'd represent larger regions -- "regional" prereleases, if you will.
blah blah metal lyrics
Yeah, these events aren't meant for the casual spectrum.
I find quite the opposite to be true. While it's true that the main event attracts a more competitive audience, there's a lot more to do at a GP than the main event. In fact, if anything, spellslinging tends to attract the more casual crowd. Every time I spellsling at a GP, I find myself talking to pretty much every type of player you can imagine. For many, if they play Magic at all, and they live nearby, they stop in at a GP see what it's like. And it's pretty cool being in a room with so many other players. There are always tons of public events, dealers, people to trade with, spellslinging, artitsts, judge certification, and more. This is starting to sound like a GP commercial, but I need more people to stop by and try and win my packs...
Magic: The Gathering Rules Manager Wizards of the Coast Follow me @TabakRules
Do the spellslingers mind if I bust out Vintage?
I think this is kinda funnyso far from what I can tell is if anyone is actually complaining about a card or a deck being to powerfull then they are failing as a magic player and not updating there decks to handle such trifles.

Delver did me ok pre AR if it ever flipped and when it did boom, doom bladed every time.
I have never once had a problem with battling a deck other than me getting crappy draws and taking a hand I should of mulled on.

Or you can stop playing online where everyone is running the t1 decks, go buy some real cards stop net decking and hit up a card shop.

That is my one complaint in magic is how many ppl on these forums whine and cry about how this is better than that and yadda yadda.

Grow learn and adapt its stratagy and luck for your gods sake, make your own stratagy.

Just make better common level rares and where be ok cause I have no use for 90% of the rares I get multipuls of in boxes. like Iam ever going to do anything with 10 garruks hords

So in other words, the only time you lost to delver was when you didn't have an immediate answer for a flipped delver?

That, my friend, is my point.
It seems like one problem with this is that when you spellsling at a GP you only get feedback from the kind of people who go to GPs. I'm sure you're aware of that, but it seems like getting opinions from other players would be valuable too. I think it would be cool if there were large events that appealed to players of all skill levels and play styles. A bit like prereleases now, but bigger. You could have one in each big city, and they'd represent larger regions -- "regional" prereleases, if you will.

They get enough feedback from players that don't attend GPs. That's why Cavern of Souls exists and there will be no more Mana Leak because it is deemed too strong simply because it fits into the class of countermagic.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.