AVR x3 draft 3

562 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lots of nice cards. I'm reluctant to take something green, because then we are likely going to fight over it with the person(s) next to us. So I choose Barter in Blood which cuts black and sends a signal. This may be influenced by my last live draft, where I got a really solid b/g deck 'cause no one near me was taking either color.
I'm not going into black with just a marginal card.  If we want to be black without a black bomb in the first pack, you wait to see if any one else is drafting it.  I'm especially not taking to cut the color when you can do that with a better color (green) just as easily.  Besides, Barter is the second best black card in the pack behind Bloodflow Connoisseur, which is often a critical sac outlet.

Wolfir Avenger.  There are only three green cards, and the other two are mid to late picks.  I would have liked to take the Seraph of Dawn, but there are too many decent white cards here to justify it.  Taking the Thunderbolt could also be decent, but so many people like red that I think I want to avoid it until I see more.
Avenger. Green and Blue are the best colors. If the best card in a pack is in these colors (and I think only the Stronghold is stronger than Avenger here), it's probably a good idea to move in.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Avenger

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

While we could go for barter, since it's damn useful, I think it's too early to just assume we can't fight our way into green, especially since we didn't crack a bomb in any other color.

Avenger

With any luck the people down the line will drop into the other colors, black, red and white, since the other cards in the pack are pretty good picks.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
I wouldn't call Barter in Blood a marginal card and I think it is much, much better than Bloodflow Connoisseur.  It normally nets you a 2 for 1 and is great against weenie/aggro decks by taking away their fast start.

That said, I think the pick comes down to Avenger v Seraph.  The Stronghold is good but I think I prefer both of these over it.  Avenger is a 3/3 for 3 with Flash and Regen, which I think slightly trumps our 2/4 flying lifelink.

So I would pick Wolfir Avenger

For interest, my order of picks would be:

Avenger,
Seraph
Stronghold
Barter

and I wouldn't be unhappy first picking any of these.
Totally Avenger.

Taking one of the best green cards in the set and passing pretty much no green is a pretty good deal.
I passed up a chance to first-pick the Stronghold in a previous draft, and I'm curious how the draft might have gone if I had. Aside from the Stronghold, the Wolfir and the Seraph are the most attractive to me. I like green in this set, so I'd probably go Wolfir.
I pick Wolfir Avenger.

My pick order would be:

1. Wolfir Avenger

2. Seraph of Dawn

3. Slayers' Stronghold

4. Thatcher's Revolt

5. Barter in Blood

I undervalue black in this format and I'll be the first to admit it.
The only time I think it's a valuable strategy is when you start with a bomb, pick up a Homicidial Seclusion or two, or get late black signals (and by then some of your competitors have probably noticed too).
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
Wolfir.  We want to avoid as much as possible.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Wolfir Avenger

Once again, Falcon has summed up my thoughts, including the pick order. Barter in Blood is a great card, but p1p1 the only black cards that I'm likely to take are Homicidal Seclusion or Demonic Rising. After a few picks if the black cards are getting passed then I either briefly regret passing something like Barter in Blood or I decide to grab some black cards.
Wolfir Avenger

Once again, Falcon has summed up my thoughts, including the pick order. Barter in Blood is a great card, but p1p1 the only black cards that I'm likely to take are Homicidal Seclusion or Demonic Rising. After a few picks if the black cards are getting passed then I either briefly regret passing something like Barter in Blood or I decide to grab some black cards.

What about Dark Impostor?
Avenger
Wolfir Avenger

It's the best Black card in the set.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Seraph!!!  Let's not fight for green cards the rest of the draft, if we leave all the good green cards other people will start drafting green, meanwhile we can be building a nice red/white aggro deck
Seraph!!!  Let's not fight for green cards the rest of the draft, if we leave all the good green cards other people will start drafting green, meanwhile we can be building a nice red/white aggro deck

Seraph's not really an aggro card, though. I mean, you'd play it in aggro because it's so good, but that's not the same. It comes down turn four and beats for two. And the Green and Blue decks come together far better, far more often, than the R/W aggro decks.
SERAPH OF DAWN

2ND CHOICE - THATCHER REVOLT

D'oh! I don't know how that one slipped my mind. Yep, a p1p1 Dark Impostor could certainly make me take a black card.
avenger, be honest:  are you zokorad?

avenger please.
avenger

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Avenger is a pretty easy pick here.
Show
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks Gamma_Mage for the awesome banner! IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/5b6c77c9b167a1916a659c5ddb3cf613.jpg?v=90000)
Slam Druid's Familiar and do a little happy dance.
Yep, Druid's Familiar is better than our first pick, and in the same color, an easy choice.
I don't think there are other options here than the Pair Bear. It's so good.
Yeah, not really even much of a choice, grab the bears and grin quietly to ourselves.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Sure, get that Avenger a Familiar.
Druid's Familiar, next.
Druid's Familiar, next.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Druid's Familiar, then cue internal happy dance.
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
even zokorad says familiar.

it's sad to pass the joint assault, but there's a lot of other really strong cards here for other colors so hopefully that makes it a couple folks down.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

even zokorad says familiar.

Why is that worth mentioing

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

And I think I'm Familiar enough with this set to make a pick here.

ouch.

You should ghost write for LSV's set reviews.

EDIT:

What LSV had to say about the card in his set review: "As the cards start to feel more familiar, it becomes clear that this is in fact very good." Careful, you're bordering on pun plagiarism.
We should be able to pick up more Joint Assults down the line, with any luck, this one we're passing might actually wheel, we haven't passed any decent green yet, and we still aren't, so unless someone down the line got a green bomb, there's a chance for it to come back, even if this one doesn't, odds are still good we can nab one in a later pack.
Druid's Familiar and looking for a second color. After that last monoblack draft, I'm hoping for something more interesting.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
werebear.
Third-pick Lookout's not bad. A rare and an uncommon is missing, though, so let's not be too hasty in considering it a signal.
G/U is one of the strongest combinations, and Tandem lookout is punshing in a G/U deck. Let's pick it.
Tandem Lookout

If we're real lucky one of the other green cards will table, but at least they aren't so strong that they should push another player into green.
Sign In to post comments