D13 - Crosswinds deck list and strategies

201 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talrand's upcoming blue deck from Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013.

Core deck:
 (2, 1/2, Common, When Archaeomancer enters the battlefield, return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand)
[deck]2 Goliath Sphinx

2 Curiosity
2 Hydrosurge [/deck] (, Instant, Common, Target creature gets -5/-0 until end of turn)
[deck]3 Sleight of Hand
2 Disperse
2 Favorable Winds
2 Ring of Evos Isle[/deck] (2, Equipment, Uncommon, 2: Equipped creature gains hexproof until end of turn; At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature if it's blue; Equip 1)
[deck]2 Cancel
1 Rite of Replication
4 Talrand's Invocation[/deck] (2, Sorcery, Uncommon, put two 2/2 blue Drake creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield)
[deck]1 Recurring Insight
1 Sphinx-Bone Wand[/deck]

5 Unlocks:
[deck]1 Talrand, Sky Summoner[/deck] (2, Legendary Creature 2/2, Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a 2/2 blue Drake creature token with flying onto the battlefield)
[deck]1 Time Warp
1 Rite of Replication
1 Future Sight
1 Day of the Dragons[/deck]
Add [C]Favorable Winds[/C] to the list.

I'm 100% sure that the deck also contains the new M13 card which makes 2 2/2 drakes with flying.

I'm really liking the style of Talrand's deck. I always loved blue combined with a sea theme.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

With all the mythics being thrown around this deck is getting Consecrated Sphinx.  I can feel it.

Safe to say the new Talrand card also in this deck. 

Show
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a 2/2 blue Drake creature token with flying onto the battlefield. 2/2 2UU
With Stainless' record of programming, do you think the game won't just self-destruct if two Consecrated Sphinxes are staring each other down from opposite ends of the board? This is just a pessimist talking.

Also, Kraken Hatchling. Really? What, are we gonna throw Levitation into this deck too just for kicks?
Hopefully a prompt of do you want to draw two cards yes or no will appear but I doubt it ha ha!
Kraken Hatchling and Fog Bank really feel out of place in my opinion, probably because I keep assuming this is a more aggressive blue deck that probably shouldn't run these cards. I could be wrong though, and it's a slower deck (Goliath Sphinx costs a lot), or it's slightly more "combo" orientated and these walls help the deck set up. Or midrange blue perhaps? I don't know, but it's killing me to see more of this list.

These walls are kind of nice to have in slower formats like 2HG or Planechase though, where having a wall helps deter early, aggressive attackers keeping you alive longer.

Kraken Hatchling and Fog Bank really feel out of place in my opinion, probably because I keep assuming this is a more aggressive blue deck that probably shouldn't run these cards. I could be wrong though, and it's a slower deck (Goliath Sphinx costs a lot), or it's slightly more "combo" orientated and these walls help the deck set up. Or midrange blue perhaps? I don't know, but it's killing me to see more of this list.

These walls are kind of nice to have in slower formats like 2HG or Planechase though, where having a wall helps deter early, aggressive attackers keeping you alive longer.

Maybe we can build it in an aggressive way or in a control way, with all those unlocks.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Maybe we can build it in an aggressive way or in a control way, with all those unlocks.

It's possible. I could have been completely off with considering it an "aggro" deck in the first place. I've wanted to dimiss the "walls" because everything else seen so far felt suited in an aggro deck. My assumption based off cards like Skywinder Drake, which is a pretty much a blue aggro/tempo kind of card because of it's high power, low toughness and blocking restriction. In addition, seeing the pump of Favorable Winds, and there is also +1/+1 object seen in screenshots (possibly Leonin Scimitar) lead me to aggro thoughts. Even Sleight of Hand works in aggro digging for extra threats when you perhaps one too many lands. However, digging is also benefical from a control perspective, so I may have been completely wrong in my assumptions.

I'm now starting to believe this is perhaps more of a midrange deck, with potential to lean towards the control or aggro angle, but not full-on for either. It's still "aggressive" with attacking, just more concerned with dropping evasive threats turns 3+ instead of turns 1-3. Lay down an early blocker turn one, turn two dig with Sleight of Hand or plop Favorable Winds, and follow up the rest of the game with evasive fliers and perhaps other tempo related spells.

We'll see with more unlocks and I can't wait to seem 'em. 
Well found my deck!

No Ponder or Preordain but I'm excited for Sleight of Hand nonetheless.

Brodo I would guess this is a midrange blue with a 4/5 deck customization to allow it be more aggro or more control-ish.

A Frost Titan would be beautiful. Really hope we see a Sun Titan as well. We know Grave Titan is in... again.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

MOAR BLOO

I really want to see this and Jaces new deck. Come on wizards, more leakage!  
Sphinx-Bone Wand has been stealth-confirmed for this deck by the vids WINGSPANTT posted.
Omg, Sphinx-Bone Wand looks like a very bad card. You must wait to have 7 mana to cast it (and have no mana left for counters, bounces etc.) and than it do.... nothing. First you must cast a instant or a sorcery to make.... 1 damage. And not that any time, only if you cast more and more spells it get stronger. Much too late for 1 vs 1 games, maybe usefull in multiplayer...
Omg, Sphinx-Bone Wand looks like a very bad card. You must wait to have 7 mana to cast it (and have no mana left for counters, bounces etc.) and than it do.... nothing. First you must cast a instant or a sorcery to make.... 1 damage. And not that any time, only if you cast more and more spells it get stronger. Much too late for 1 vs 1 games, maybe usefull in multiplayer...

I think the ideia behind Sphinx-Bone Wand is similar to the new Talrand card, only it costs much more and do much less. So yeah, this is an easy cut. But it's giving us one more hint about the nature of this deck: it'll probably be tempo-oriented.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

I hope we get the spoiler for that one soon. I think I saw it in the press-version.
Also somebody posted some card in screenshot-thread.

btw. How do you post cards?

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

I hope we get the spoiler for that one soon. I think I saw it in the press-version.
Also somebody posted some card in screenshot-thread.

btw. How do you post cards?

[ card ] cardyouwant [ /card ] without spaces.

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Video is uploading now. Will be final in about 90 minutes:

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

Great! Thanks for the vids.
Worth the wait. 3:17 am good morning. Thanks again.
Think these numbers are right...

5 Unlocks:
[deck]1 Talrand, Sky Summoner
1 Time Warp
1 Rite of Replication
1 Future Sight
1 Day of the Dragons[/deck]

Seems pretty cool. Really want to see more of the unlocks though as I'm very "oooo" about half of the core, yet also very "meh" about the other half.

Snapcaster Mage seems like a sweet potential unlock by the way, with all this emphasis on spells.
It has potential, but needs more counterspells. And some bounce for Day of the Dragons shenanigans.

But I like it.

Core deck:

2xCuriosity
2xHydrosurge (U, Instant, Common, Target creature gets -5/-0 until end of turn)
3xKraken Hatchling 
3xSleight of Hand
2xDisperse
2xFavorable Winds 
3xFog Bank 
2xRing of Evos Isle (2, Equipment, Uncommon, 2: Equipped creature gains hexproof until end of turn; At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature if it's blue; Equip 1) 
2xCancel 
3xSkywinder Drake 
2xArchaeomancer 
1xRite of Replication 
4xTalrand's Invocation (2UU, Sorcery, Uncommon, put two 2/2 blue Drake creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield)
1xRecurring Insight 
2xGoliath Sphinx
1xSphinx-Bone Wand

Unlocks:

1xTalrand, Sky Summoner
1xTime Warp 
1xRite of Replication 
1xFuture Sight 
1xDay of the Dragons

Haha, so 'Nathed!  This deck has some great toys, but man, it's begging for some things to even it out more in the early game.  Guess they saved the Sapphire Medallions for Jace's deck, unless they are (also?) unlocks for this one.   
Finally a thinking man's blue deck. This is so welcome after that lame illusion deck of 2012.

And this confirms that metagame will be much more interesting than the previous one. Finally blue can scheme and mill, black destroy, green stomp and white.... well do white things. 

GG Wizards R&D team.
Ugh.. a single Rite of Replication was bad enough in 2012.  While I understand that the power curve is much stronger in 2013 these cards are problematic at best in a limited format.
Lack of ramp means that card will be included for its 4 CMC clone effect. At least that is my train of thought for including this card in my list. If the game goes long enough, that is only the icing on the cake but unlike Ancient Depths, I dont see this deck reaching 9 lands that much on an average 1v1 game and thus less broken in this list.

You should consider what other decks can do with 7 or 8 mana. They look pretty scary themselves. 
I hope this deck has good unlocks because as it is, it has very limited win conditions.
Goliath which is 7 Mana, only 2 in the deck.
Talrad, only 1 in the deck
Day of the dragons, only 1 in the deck and it costs 7

I guess you can try a <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[Skywinder]+[Drake]" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Skywinder Drake</a> bounce and counter style delver  beatdown but even with that youre at a 3 turn dissadvantage from delver, which makes a big difference.
This deck seems a bit ugh currently.  It's going to need some good unlocks but I have a sneaky feeling we might be getting some red as part of the unlocks.  Day of the Dragons seems a bit random to me, especially with the, 'put that many 5/5 RED dragon creature tokens with flying into play'.  The theme seems to be walls and drakes so why a random dragon enchantment?  Perhaps I'm reading it wrong but that's the feeling I get.
Not feeling this blue deck TBH. Unless like Orthor says it has another splash colour. If not, it just looks like a flying deck, and an expensive one at that.
Very interesting deck, can't wait to try it. Good to see 4x Talrand's Invocation. It's an excellent card and with [C]Favorable Winds[/C], its pretty amazing. The mana curve is a bit weird in this deck though and some cards are really expensive. Let's hope that the other 25 unlocks are good.

I feel itll be similar to dotp and we will get 2 more counterspells in unlocks and 2 more bounce spells.
That would be nice. This deck needs more solid blue cards like counters and bounce. I guess we'll see some other sphinx finishers as unlocks such as [C]Sphinx of Magosi[/C], [C]Sphinx of Jwar Isle[/C] and more.

I didn't like the sound of this deck at first glance, but after I saw many of the higher cost cards I think it may be my favorite of the four. I'm really thinking "Dark Heavens" (sort of) with this. Some walls to stall in the early game, fliers for mid, then a couple bombs like the Goliath Sphinx to clean up.

I know some people are on the fence about Rite of Replication, but I think it'd be pretty decent. Probably not something you'd kick most of the time, but 4 mana for a copy of a creature is pretty good IMO. 

I'm really hoping for more stuff like bounce as unlocks, maybe a little more card draw. If sapphire medallion was in the deck, I'd probably be running those, at least at first, too.
When I looked at the dore deck, I was very disappointed. There's not enough control or card advantage and the idea of stalling for some mediocre mid-/lategame flyers doesn't look very promising.

However, I REALLY love the unlockables so far. Playing cards from the library gives awesome card advantage and it has great synergy with sleight of hands. Curiosity has potential on a flyer with disperse support. Talrand, Sky Summoner and Archaeomancer have decent synergy with spells. I really hope there are some great sorceries and instants in the unlockable section. I'd love to stall with some early walls into a spellheavy control/flying mix.
This one is meh for me as well.   As boring as Illusions was, it got the job done.   

This deck seems slow, and doesn't really have that many control elements for a blue deck.  I really hope the unlocks are 1 or 2 big flyers, 2 counterspells,  2 repulses and then all 2 - 3 CMC flyers.   
I'm not sure what to think of this deck yet. The instant and sorcery theme looks cool, but the deck ratio of creatures to non-creatures is a bit deceiving in this regard. There's a lot of artifacts and enchantments like Curiosity, Favorable Winds, Ring of Evos Isle, and Sphinx-bone Wand. There's not a whole lot in terms of creatures, and this blue deck seems to be hurting for card draw. Yes, you have 2 Curiosity, but what are you going to put them on, one of the six 0 power walls, or the 1/2 for 4 mana that your opponent would never allow through? Yeah, there's the Skywinder Drakes and Talrand's Invocation, but that just seems to be turning frail flyers into targets for removal, but it could work against some decks. The only other thing we have for card draw (right now) is Recurring Insight, a 6 mana draw spell that's reliant on your opponent's hand size. By the time you can play it, your opponent will maybe have 2-3 cards in their hand. Giving it rebound doesn't help it much either. Tidings would have been better to see, it costs less and you get a consistent 4 cards. 

As someone else mentioned, there seems to be a lack of win conditions right now (but this one is most likely to change with the unlockables). A deck like this really needs some more bounce, card draw, and a couple more counters. Hopefully, the rest of the unlockables can patch up these things, and I could see this turning into a solid deck. Overall, I do like the general theme of the deck. It sorta seems like a stall blue control deck with a focus on flying and instants/sorceries, and I think this is a great way to use blue in a format like this. It's not too powerful, but not completely bad and unusable either.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

The lack of creatures is deceiving. If you shift over the spells that behave like creatures, you end up with quite a few.

3 Kraken Hatchling
3 Fog Bank
3 Skywinder Drake
2 Archaeomancer
2 Rite of Replication
4 Talrand's Invocation
1 Talrand, Sky Summoner
2 Goliath Sphinx

You're getting two creatures out of the Invocation and copying threats with Rite of Replication, and Archaeomancer can buy back these up after you use them. Win-conditions are a little shaky, but you're pretty much looking at pumping your small fliers into bigger threats. Favorable winds is great with Talrand's Invocation, and Ring of Evos Isle can slowly turn anything into a late game finisher.

The quality and lack of board controlling spells is what bothers me most. Two Disperse, two Cancel, and that pretty bad Hydrosurge? Heck, Fleeting Distraction probably would have been great in that slot instead just because of the cantrip. That's where I'm looking towards to unlocks for help. Otherwise, the deck is more or less racing and digging through it's deck looking to amass a bunch of fliers on the board and that nearly isn't as cool as this deck could be.
Wow. The Future Sight totally redeemed this deck! One of my favorite cards ever. That card alone will convert you over to the power that is blue.

Harry: "Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself! "

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Hydrosurge is not that bad. At least it's not Disorient. And once you have Talrand on the board, every instant and sorcery in the deck become very powerful.

IMAGE(http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/Splattercat/Ring.jpg)

Here's the Ring (I prefer seeing text-heavy cards than haivng them described to me. )

It benefits nicely from the End-Step. You can hold an instant in your hand and if you don't use it you can drop a +1/+1 counter during your opponent's end-step instead.

Here's the Ring (I prefer seeing text-heavy cards than haivng them described to me. )

It benefits nicely from the End-Step. You can hold an instant in your hand and if you don't use it you can drop a +1/+1 counter during your opponent's end-step instead.

I'm not a huge fan of the deck so far but that might be a game changer. Plus everyturn with the ability to put the mc hammer to it....can't touch this
Hydrosurge is not that bad. At least it's not Disorient. And once you have Talrand on the board, every instant and sorcery in the deck become very powerful.

Well it's not good. Plus, I don't think you can just use the singleton Talrand as it's saving grace. Heck, put any other suitable replacement for Hydrosurge in the same scenario and it completely makes Hydrosurge look way worse. Fleeting Distraction? Potential trade up, cantrip, and a 2/2 drake? How about Stream of Unconsciousness? Makes Hydrosurge look like a joke with Talrand.

It's a new card, hence it gets included. Sure, the other cards get way better with other cards like Talrand and Future Sight, but that's part of the fun. Getting a powerful card and turning mediocre cards into crazy spells. Hydrosurge doesn't exactly get much better than it already is.

I can't see how it will benefits from the end-step, since you can only equip as a sorcery. And the +1/+1 counter is free, you only have to pay for the hexproof (nearly pointless in the end-step).

I like this card, but we'll have to wait and see if the game doesn't screw the rules for checking targets when the spell resolves.

@Brodo

Sure, there are TONS of better cards. I think this card doesn't need to be uncommon too. I'm only saying that are many worst cards, like Disorient (this is a really BAD card).

Sign In to post comments