06/07/2012 TD: "Somebody Else's Toys"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
So, despite the focus on the other decks, since they tend to attack Delver-centric strategies, the conclusion still is...Jeff Goldblum is the best card in Standard? :P
"Like... 3/2 on the way down, why not a 7/7 Explosive Vegetation on the way back up?"

Is there something I'm not getting, or is this a typo? What's a 7/7 Explosive Vegetation?
when it comes back from undying, copy a primevil titan.  A lot of things have to come together.  Like playing against ramp, who has cast a titan, who chooses to block it I guess.  Or maybe slagstorm on the next turn? I honestly don't see either happening very often.  Ramp player would have to be in an aweful situation.  
when it comes back from undying, copy a primevil titan.  A lot of things have to come together.  Like playing against ramp, who has cast a titan, who chooses to block it I guess.  Or maybe slagstorm on the next turn? I honestly don't see either happening very often.  Ramp player would have to be in an aweful situation.  

You could also just mortarpod it (interestingly enough, it will die when you try to equip it) or just target it with a tragic slip if you really need to (say you opponent's at 7 life with no mana untapped), or you just block their titan.
funny how authors keep forgetting to read the damn cards... you can't grow your Falkenrath Aristocrat in your zombie deck...
I understand the point of this article is to explore the other decks in the Standard format, and see how there are interesting things going on aside fom Delver. But the article also feels like at the beginning, it is trying to distract us from the fact the Delver is still running hard. Quote about the Top 8s from the article:

"Interesting similarities between these two events. Half of each were composed of White-Blue Delver decks that we aren't going to discuss at all"

That is still disconcerting, even if they didn't win the tournament. Now, I can see some of the other decks are becoming competitive, so maybe people will being holding off a bit from Delver, but we shall see. I definitely like the other deck varieties going on, seeing just about very color getting some recognition (red being minimal though, we utility or power cards like Gut Shot [barely red], Bonfire of the Damned, Manic Vandal, Hellrider, and Zealous Conscripts).

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I hate to point to the elephant in the room but...

If "Delver Decks" warp the metagame this much... Then Wizards... It is time to Jace it. Ban it now, let the format grow a bit.
If "Delver Decks" warp the metagame this much... Then Wizards... It is time to Jace it. Ban it now, let the format grow a bit.

So... wait until two sets into the next block, and only bother with a ban if sales are lagging?
Not only is that "jacing" it, but also "affiniting" and "academing" as well.

Sign In to post comments