Oblivion ring journey to nowhere and other spells

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
ok so i just learned about if some one for example o rings me or casts a journey to nowhere on my primalcrux and thats the only target on my field and i vines of vastwood it, he has to choose one of his own if there are any.  what other spells do this? is it target creature spells or when it enters the battlfield or what? which kind of spells do it?
It's because Journey to Knowhere says "exile target creature."  It doesn't say you MAY exile.  So if you make your only creature an illegal target, the caster has to pick one of his own. 

So any cards that require a target like that without saying "may."
Be sure you get the timing right.

CORRECT (OPPONENT EXILES HIS OWN CREATURE):
Opponent casts Journey to Nowhere
You cast Vines on your only dude, it's now untargetable
Journey resolves and enters the battlefield
Its trigger goes on the stack
The opponent must choose one of his creatures

INCORRECT (SAVES YOUR DUDE, BUT WON'T EXILE THE OPPONENT'S CREATURE):
Opponent casts Journey to Nowhere
Journey resolves and enters the battlefield
Its trigger goes on the stack, opponent chooses your dude
You cast Vines on your only dude, it's now untargetable
The trigger tries to resolve, but now the target is illegal, so it fizzles
Journey sits on the battlefield exiling nothing
What happens is this:

1. I cast Journey to Nowhere. It is an Enchantment, and not an Aura, so it is not a targeted spell (just like Jace's Erasure or Ascetism themselves do not target - their abilities do!). I pass Priority.

2. You pass Priority.

3. Journey resolves and enters the Battlefield. It's triggered ABility ("When ~ enters the Battlefield ...") triggers. I put it on the Stack, and now I need to chose targets.

If you made your Creature Hexproof (or gave it protection or whatever) in Step 2, I am screwed in Step three and have to chose a legal target (one of my own Creatures, since yours are all illegal targets).
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest