Black-Green Undying Aggro: Is this deck good?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello forum members, and fellow magic the gathering players. I am Ethan Gomez, a relatively new magic player who just got into competitive play recently. I have played only two FNM sanctioned events before, in which I lost every single game I played in, I beleive it was because of my deck not being all that good, and also most likely because of my little experience and skill. But with every loss, I had many conversations with my opponent, some of which gave me valuable information and tips about my deck. 

Some key cards that were reccomended to me were: MortarpodStrangleroot Geist, and a Geralf's Messenger, all of which I have included in this green-black undying mechanic based deck, which I think is fairly good. Also, when telling me to add new cards, consider I have purchased and ordered all the cards that are listed and some cards may be out of my fairly now low budget.

Deck List:

Creatures - 23 cards:

x4 Strangleroot Geist
x4 Young Wolf
x4 Butcher Ghoul - Replacement for Wandering Wolf.
x3 Blood Artist
x3 Mortarpod 
x2 Demonlord of Ashmouth - Replacement for Vorapede.*
x2 Geralf's Messenger  
x1 Bloodgift Demon 

Spells - 15 cards:

x3 Bone Splinters 
x3 Blessings of Nature
x2 Undying Evil
x2 Unhallowed Pact 
x2 Mutagenic Growth - Replacement for Wild Hunger.*
x3 Go for the Throat
x2 Doom Blade - Replacement for Unhallowed Pact.

Lands:
x10 Forest 
x12 Swamp

Sideboard:
x2 Deathmark 
x4 Natural End 
x4 Grounded
x2 Eaten by Spiders 
x1 Snare the Skies
x2 Druid's Familiar
First and foremost I wanna say that i do like this deck idea and it has some potential.. maybe not best deck in the format potential but you should be able to win quite a few games at your local FNM 

Secondly i dont really like Unhallowed pact or Wild Hunger.. Unhallowed is just a more expensive undying evil and your cant flashback the wild hunger so its like your playing half a card almost

I would go up on the Go for the Throats or maybe even get some Doom Blade as well.. You wanna be able to keep your opponent from having creatures so you can attack them for damage and you get to make them lose life with the blood artist so its like a win win situation 

Also i know you said you had a slim budget but getting a hold of the 4 Woodland Cemetery could fix you mana and make it more consistant 

Since your creatures are going to do a lot of dying i think that you would benefit from having 4 blood artist so i would definitly try to fit the last one in and it shouldnt be too hard to acquire as its only an uncommon. Going up on the price scale i would highly suggest going up to 4 messengers. It along with strangelroot geist are the best undying creatures in the format. Although kinda pricey messengers have actually gone down in price, i remember when they were $10. Also you definitly want your 4 Woodland Cemetery.

oh and dont forget Tragic Slip for your instant speed removal. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
You're off to a really good start. With that said, you have a few cards that feel out of place to me. Bloodgift Demon and Wandering Wolf feel awkward to me, I'd try replacing them with undying cards, and doing that could reduce the number of Undying Evils you need and free up extra space in the deck. Another card that is less awkward and more just terrible is Wild Hunger. If you want combat tricks, Mutagenic Growth is a lot better, even if you're stuck for green mana. 

Also, Blessings of Nature could be an awkward card. It's good on undying creatures who've already died once, but if you use it on one that hasn't, it's gonna mess up his recursion. 

Finaly, as great as Geralfs Messenger is, he's REALLY mana intensive for a deck like this, especially when you don't have any dual lands.  
Thanks for all the support and comments on this deck, I will now reply to each post:

@Da_ghetto_gamer: First, thanks for your comment on saying this deck has potential. Also I agree on the Unhallowed Pact and Wild Hunger feeling awkward, after getting some insight on the fact last night, before I posted this,  I took out two of them and replaced them with Go for the Throat. After other comments, I will most likely replace the rest with some Doom Blades, which I picked up yesterday in an event deck. 

As for wild hunger, I am still debating whether I should go for Mutagenic Growth or [c[Titanic Growth[/c]. As for the rare land, I might not be able to pick any of those up Friday, but if I do, I will update this list. Next Person.

@illusionz: I suppose you are right on the fact that 4 blood artists would be quite good, so most likely I will replace one of the Wandering Wolf with a blood thus making the 'awkward' wolfs smaller. As for the Geralf's Messenger, I do understand that they are a key for any deck, but as of right now my local gaming store just doesn't have any more(thus I was forced to pick up an event deck to get my second one, but it did give me a ton of nice cards). Maybe I will try to trade with my local magic card dealer this friday(a guy who has many cards). 

But in all, thank you for all the support, also I may try to pick them up. Next Person.

@20cdndollar: I do realize that Bloodgift Demon and the Wandering Wolf cards may feel out of place, but I think the Demon is just really a jack of all trades and it should do well in most situations. As for the Wolf, I do agree that it needs to go. I have already agreed to replace the first Wolf with a 4th Blood Artist. As for the other three, I am debating whether or not to replace them with Butcher Ghouls. 

Mutagenic Growth seems like a fairly good card in my opinion as well, but it may be hard to find some to replace Wild Hunger with by Friday, if I do manage to find some, although I do already have a green mana fix, I may try to add some of these into my deck. Thank you for all your help, and I hope you would come back to post about the Butcher Ghoul situation.

Thanks for all your comments, you will all be sent an update from me now!

Hello, I updated my decklist accordingly to some replies on this thread.

Also, I would appreciate any other insight people have, although I will not be able to get all the cards(most likely) because I just went shopping for singles again today. 
Undying evils are doing much for you since all your creatures have undying except for the 3 blood artists and 1 Bloodgift Demon. I think I like Demonlord of Ashmouth more than Vorapede. Triple green can be a real pain with no duals. Demonlord is 1 less mana and has the same stats. Demonlord's drawback is pretty non significant since you have a ton of undying creatures to sack to it. Hex Parasite might be worth checking out since it can remove +1/+1 counters.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Undying evils are doing much for you since all your creatures have undying except for the 3 blood artists and 1 Bloodgift Demon. I think I like Demonlord of Ashmouth more than Vorapede. Triple green can be a real pain with no duals. Demonlord is 1 less mana and has the same stats. Demonlord's drawback is pretty non significant since you have a ton of undying creatures to sack to it. Hex Parasite might be worth checking out since it can remove +1/+1 counters.

Ashmouth is a decent choice and has evasion as well, so its an easy way to get damage in or block a majority of flyers all day if need be. It should also be noted that Hex Parasite can kill Planeswalkers.

EDIT: Im not a big fan of sacing undying creatures because your basically doing your opponents job for them. What makes undying so great is that you can send your creatures in with little drawback, but when you scrifice them they loose their protection so to speak. So based off of this im not a big fan of bone splinters at all. Id much rather have Tragic Slip instead and its instant speed as opposed to sorcery speed.
Vorapede and Messengers with their triple colored mana costs are too taxing on your land base. Choose one, then make its color the core of your deck and just splash the other a bit. I'd go with the Messengers, since black has better synergy with undying creatures. I'm with re4leonkennedy with his suggestion of replacing Vorapede with Demonlord of Ashmouth. Just don't get caught w/o creatures in play to sacrifice when he returns.
Interesting, although I cannot decide wether I would want to replace Vorapede, maybe my Bloodthirst Demon can go? And two of those can come?

As for Hex Parasite, maybe next Friday those can fit in my budget.

UPDATE:
Hmm, after reading DeluxeTea's  post I have been thinking that maybe I should mostly go black with a splash of green, and Demonlord of Ashmouth is quite a nice card.

So, I will replace my Vorapede with x2 Demonlord of Ashmouth

And maybe I should do a mana shift of two forests -> two swamps? Or is that too much, considering some of my green cards?(Strangleroot Geist)
So:
x9 Forest 
x13 Swamp 
I completely forgot to mention this earlier but id your running Demonlord you want Torpor Orb so that your not sacing two of your dudes to him and it is fun you because your creatures will constantly undy.
Torpor Orb neuters Geralf's Messenger.

While it does i feel that its benefits outweigh the detriments in this particular deck. Your either loosing two guys to the Demonlord or exiling it. If there were 4 messengers i would lean the other way. Its a tough situation because its you loose two guys or messengers effects dont happen.
That is a tough situation, but would Torpor Orb be worth it? I mean to me, as long as creatures die, I get benefited with Blood Artists

-Also, do tokens count as creatures? Cause those Mortar Pods may come in usefulness.  

Deck List:

Creatures - 23 cards:

x4 Strangleroot Geist
x4 Young Wolf
x4 Butcher Ghoul - Replacement for Wandering Wolf.
x3 Blood Artist
x3 Mortarpod 
x2 Demonlord of Ashmouth - Replacement for Vorapede.*
x2 Geralf's Messenger  
x1 Bloodgift Demon 

Spells - 15 cards:

x3 Bone Splinters 
x3 Blessings of Nature
x2 Undying Evil
x2 Unhallowed Pact 
x2 Mutagenic Growth - Replacement for Wild Hunger.*
x3 Go for the Throat
x2 Doom Blade - Replacement for Unhallowed Pact.

Lands:
x11 Forest 
x11 Swamp

Sideboard:
x2 Deathmark 
x4 Natural End 
x4 Grounded
x2 Eaten by Spiders 
x1 Snare the Skies
x2 Druid's Familiar

I'd make the following changes:
- Replace Bone Splinters with Tragic Slip
-  Blessings of Nature for Bloodflow Connoisseur or other sac outlets
- Add a fourth Blood Artist in thep lace of Undying Evil since only Bloodgift Demon doesn't have Undying.

You can also look at Carnifex Demon or Hex Parasite as a way to remove the +1/+1 counters on your creatures and allow them to "undie" again.  I prefer the Parasite, since it can eat a planeswalker's loyalty counters, debuffs Champion of the Parish and Champion of Lambholdt, remove the charges from Shrine of Burning Rage, etc.
Hmm, I will have to think about these changes that you have told me of, although I do want to try out the current deck-list I have built. 

Still debating wether Ashmouth Demon > Vorapede? What do you think?
I mean in order to use Ashmouth, I must sacrifice a guy, is that really worth it? for a 5/4||6/5? 
Hmm, I will have to think about these changes that you have told me of, although I do want to try out the current deck-list I have built. 

Still debating wether Ashmouth Demon > Vorapede? What do you think?
I mean in order to use Ashmouth, I must sacrifice a guy, is that really worth it? for a 5/4||6/5? 

I would say so for sure. Think about this: Most of your creatures have undying, so sacraficing them will only make them stronger, not to mention that if you have a blood artist or two out, you'll be dealing damage, in this case, I'd look at sacrafice as a positive.