U/B Heartless Architect

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
A Heartless Summoning/Grand Architect deck I just built and am piloting at FNM this week. I don't have any specific questions I just want to know your thoughts on it.

Creatures

4* Grand Architect
4* Myr Superion
4* Phyrexian Metamorph
4* Solemn Simulacrum
3* Spellskite
1* Steel Hellkite
4* Treasure Mage
3* Wurmcoil Engine

Spells

4* Heartless Summoning
4* Ponder
2* Devastation Tide

Land

2* Buried Ruin
1* Evolving Wilds
4* Darkslick Shores
4* Drowned Catacomb
9* Island
3* Swamp

Sideboard

2* Contagion Engine
1* Mindslaver
1* Geistcatcher's Rig
3* Havengul Lich
3* Perilous Myr
1* Spellskite
1* Doom Blade
3* Tragic Slip
I would suggest taking out the devastion tides and replacing them with black suns zenith.u realy want a sweeper so u can get to the later game.
I think you should have one contagion engine main. Nice to be able to tutor up a sweeper with treasure mage. Was about to suggest Geistcatchers Rig for the SB figuring no one woulda thought of that... then I looked.

Kinda feels like you need some removal main deck. Or maybe Tezz?
Grow old or die trying.
If you can up the Buried Ruins to four it might be beneficial.  You've got enough ways to Mana Fix between the Solemns and the Evolving Wild that you should be able to support it.  Rather than mainboarding the Engine, I might suggest the Mindslaver in the main.  I played a build very close to this and had one MB.  Any game that I played it, I won.  I don't know how I feel about the Devestation Tides.  I played this deck before Avacyn Restored came out.  I'd be interested to hear how they work for you.

I think you should have one contagion engine main. Nice to be able to tutor up a sweeper with treasure mage. Was about to suggest Geistcatchers Rig for the SB figuring no one woulda thought of that... then I looked.

Kinda feels like you need some removal main deck. Or maybe Tezz?

Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas>Ponder? I think he'd be really good for this deck no matter what you took out though. I just don't like ponder, unless it's delver and even then i don't like the card.

Photobucket
Would Phantasmal Image be better in this deck then Solemn Simulacrum?
he already has 4 metamorph. Solemn is better than 5+ clone effects
Photobucket
The one card I am really unsure of is Devastation Tide. It is a game winner in some cases, but more often than not, it doesn't help very much.  I honestly hadn't even thought about Tez until now, but he seems absolutely amazing.  I'll put in a 2-of in place of the Tides.

Secondly, Helkite has been underperforming in most matchups so I guess I will try both Mindslaver and Engine in it's spot.

2 more Buried Ruinare definitely going in. Card is too good.

@storyloki: BSZ seems good but in the cases where I need a sweeper, it has a tendency to be back breaking against me as well.

I made top 4 at FNM (about 25 players) tonight with this list. (we split the prize at that point so it didn't go beyond that). But, I'm tired and I have work in the morning so I'll post a better report tomorrow.

Creatures

4* Grand Architect
4* Myr Superion
4* Phyrexian Metamorph
4* Solemn Simulacrum
3* Spellskite
4* Treasure Mage
3* Wurmcoil Engine

Spells
4* Heartless Summoning
4* Ponder
1* Mindslaver
2* Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Land
3* Buried Ruin (I couldn't find a 4th)
1* Evolving Wilds
4* Darkslick Shores
4* Drowned Catacomb
8* Island
3* Swamp

Sideboard
2* Contagion Engine
1* Steel Hellkite
1* Geistcatcher's Rig
3* Havengul Lich
3* Perilous Myr
1* Spellskite
1* Doom Blade
2* Tragic Slip
1* Mountain
It's been a couple days so this report will be just as much as I remember.

Round 1: U/R Delver 2-0

This match-up is surprisingly good.   Game 1 he dropped a lot of early threats, but mine were bigger so I beat through with wurmcoils and myrs till I won.

Sideboard -1 wurmcoil +1 Contagion Engine

Game 2: He sided in 4 Act of Aggression which were irritating.  He played 3 in a row to steal wurmcoils when I attacked.  I played Mindslaver and made him Bonfire himself and I was able to swing in for lethal next turn.

Round 2: U/B Zombies 2-0

Game 1:  I could hold off his attacks with bigger creatures (his intimidate doesn't work against me Cool) and a Mindslaver activation while he had Mortar Pod in play wiped his field so I could swing through with lethal.

He didn't have a sideboard and I felt good enough about the last game that I didn't sideboard either.

Game 2:  He drew several Metamorphs and 2 Blood Artists so we had a long stand-off with several Wurmcoils on either side.  Basically each turn just got really confusing math-wise with life totals swinging back and forth every turn.  I ended it by finding Mindslaver with Tezz and activating and wiping his board with his own Lilliana of the Veil and Mortar Pod.

Round 3: U/W Delver 0-2

This round was really disapointing. Both games he controlled my early game and was able to beat me down with Delvers/Snapcasters for the win.

Round 4: G/W Knight Blade (?) 2-1

He had an interesting deck. It was like lots of ramping creatures (birds, etc.), double strike knight dudes (Mirran Crusader and Puresteel Paldin), and swords.

Game 1:  I had a slower start but I knew I would be dropping game-changing threats every turn starting turn 5.  Meanwhile he dropped Crusader equipped it with the blue/green sword and hit me for 8, created some wolves, and milled me for 20 on turn 4... it only went downhill from there.

Sideboard: -1 Spellskite -1 Wurmcoil -1 Mindslaver +2 Contagion Engine +1 Doom Blade

Games 2 & 3:  I didn't let him hit me with any more swords and Contagion Engine for the boardwipe ended the game for him both times.

Round 5: U/B/G Birthing Pod Rock 2-0

It was a deck with ramp, Birthing Pods, Glissa, the Traitor, Grimgrin, Corpse-Born, and bunch of other good cards.  He was undefeated at this point but he was pretty irritated after this round and kinda felt bad for it too...

Game 1: We both dropped threats and then I Mindslaver locked him with Buried Ruin for 3 turns.  No way he could win after that.

Game 2: Mindslaver shut him down once again.  This time for only 1 turn, but I had lethal after that.

Top 8 Round 1: U/B Zombies (again) 2-1

Game 1: I hit early and kept enough pressure to kill him.

Sideboard: I don't remember what I took out, but I added in a Contagion Engine.

Game 2:  He was much faster and a combination of early zombie beats and the lifeloss part of Diregraf Captain killed me.

Game 3:  I don't remember much at this point cause I was really tired.  But, I killed him again with Mindslaver/Mortar Pod.

Overall Mindslaver was amazing int the main.  There are so many times when you just win as soon as you find the card.  In the cases where it isn't good, Contagion Engine is a boss. The board sweep is backbreaking for most decks, especially green-based decks.  I am going to add another Mindslaver either main or sided, also I have to find a 4th Buried Ruin because that card is rediculously good in here.
My only problem is my U/W Delver matchup (and probably humans too but I didn't play against them on friday). My deck just had absolutely no game against it. They would just control my early game and by that time I had too much damage coming in from delvers, etc.
What advantages does Heartless Architect offer over either separately?  Draw into either vs. one of them?
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but this deck is about to take a huge hit with the next block, correct?
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
A Heartless Summoning/Grand Architect deck I just built and am piloting at FNM this week. I don't have any specific questions I just want to know your thoughts on it.

Creatures

4* Grand Architect
4* Myr Superion
4* Phyrexian Metamorph
4* Solemn Simulacrum
3* Spellskite
1* Steel Hellkite
4* Treasure Mage
3* Wurmcoil Engine

Spells

4* Heartless Summoning
4* Ponder
2* Devastation Tide

Land

2* Buried Ruin
1* Evolving Wilds
4* Darkslick Shores
4* Drowned Catacomb
9* Island
3* Swamp

Sideboard

2* Contagion Engine
1* Mindslaver
1* Geistcatcher's Rig
3* Havengul Lich
3* Perilous Myr
1* Spellskite
1* Doom Blade
3* Tragic Slip

i'd swap both the devastation tides for two more lands, with this deck you don't want to miss land drops. 4 buried ruin if possible otherwise looks pretty effective
@tehbeast: For me I've found that playing both makes the deck extremely consistant.  It drops big threats really fast every game

@chaos: Yes most of the deck is gone but that's still months away, I can play the deck now.
And by most you mean basically all.  Then it'll be B/r Heartless.
And by most you mean basically all.  Then it'll be B/r Heartless.

yeah....pretty much.....
But does anyone have any suggestions for improving my game vs. U/W Delver?

Everything I've read just hints at that U/W Delver is just too overpowered 
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Delver usually relys on one or two dudes to push through a victory. A couple well placed spot removal spells can end them. Either that or a Sphinx of Jwar Isle... too bad you can't play that. Actually Contagion engine should help immensly. Just bait out their counters with other stuff and then wipe their board.
Grow old or die trying.
Sign In to post comments