Modern Mirrodin throwback

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey folks!

Just wanted some advice, I wanted to build a throwback deck for Modern.  This is my first time playing the format and it looks like it could be really fun.  

Since the format allows access to some older stuff, I thought for my first deck, to throw together a Mirrodin-era staff deck.  I loved playing this deck back then, and I think an updated verson could do pretty well!  

Here's my inital thoughts, any advice/insight would be great!!  I'm a returning magic player, so I missed everything from kamagawa to just the most recent set, Innistrad, which brought me back.  My deck building skills may be a bit rusty, but here goes!

Artifacts:
2 Proteus Staff
3 Dimir Signet
3 Orzhov Signet

Creatures:
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Progenitus
1 Griselbrand
1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope

Sorcery:
4 Terminus
4 Lingering Souls
2 See Beyond
Polymorph

Instant:
4 Raise the Alarm
3 Path to Exile
3 Remand
4 Think Twice

Lands:
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Glacial Fortress
6 Plains
6 Island

Thank you in advance for any advice!!  I live in Columbus and I'd like to hopefully get this tuned a bit for the GP in July!
Current Standard: Mono-White Humans Mono-Black Control B/U Zombies Current Modern: B/W/R Grislebrand/Zombie Infestation LGS: Pack Rats Hilliard, OH.
same with you: use autos:   [*c*]before card title and after[*/c*]....just dont use the stars *** when you write it.. gives this result:

think twice 
ur basically just running a poly deck so u might need more token generators,  the living weapons are good to get turn 1 tokens such as: flayer husk and wind zendikon is also a good option. Lingering souls?
edited for tags, thanks for the tip!-  

I like the flayer husk, I don't have much experience with the living weapons, and that's a really good call.   Ty!

Current Standard: Mono-White Humans Mono-Black Control B/U Zombies Current Modern: B/W/R Grislebrand/Zombie Infestation LGS: Pack Rats Hilliard, OH.
unfortunately since you aint running green khalni garden i guess isnt a must here.  mortarpod can be used for removal but works better with awakening zone and khalni garden..

Terminus is not for this deck..if you want removal you need to use wrath of god or day of judgement  but they should only be in your sideboard along with a darksteel colossus to avoid the destroy effect.. or if avacyn is out but that means you need to only have 1-2 copies of the wrath effects...I also suggest getting your hands on sigarda, host of herons she has hexproof which is a big plus and stops people from forcing a sacrifice of emrakul.
Right on, thanks for the advice.  Sigarda is a good idea, for sure!  I was also thinking about Iona, Shield of Emeria as a stop for sacrificing or pathing as you could stop that color dead in the water.  The darksteels is what I ran when this deck was standard legal, and they're great.  The Blightsteel Colossus is great as well, since it's a 1 turn swing instead of 2 if they don't have a block and it deals damage in counters...

On the Terminus I will have to disagree with. It's an amazing board wipe, and with a deck like this, you can keep your mind on being able to play around it.  

You know it's gonna come up and as long as you don't over extend yourself so you can bounce back from it very easy.  Even hardcasting isn't out of reach with the signets.

A day of judgement or wrath of god are good board wipes, don't get me wrong, but if I loose grisle to it, I can't get him back.  With  Terminus I can send them back to the library just to poly them right back out.

The bonus to this is being able to think twice on someone else's turn to Terminus during their combat phase, fun stuff!

So far changes:

+2 See Beyond  This gets the fattys back into the library!
+4 Blinkmoth Nexus

- 4 Darksteel Citadel
-2 Thoughtcast 
i do see your reasoning for terminus.  I will keep that strategy in mind xP.

quicksilver amulet also seems good incase u need a backup plan.
i do see your reasoning for terminus.  I will keep that strategy in mind xP.

quicksilver amulet also seems good incase u need a backup plan.

That's a good call!