New Products ??? Anything you want to see before they close 4th ed

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm just wondering if we are going to get anymore 4th edition books after whats already on the calenders. I'm a huge 4th fan and yeah I'll buy the next game too cause I want to support my D&D and I want to stay in business. I usually buy the core stuff and stop there if the the rest doesn't interest me. sorry off topic.

I've been buying all the books that have been coming out. I want to get the new Dungeon board game so I can play that with my nieces.

I'm just hoping we get some more stuff before they move on. I would always love to see a DragonLance game but I know it won't happen.

Anything you guys hope to see before they close up shop on 4th Edition any dreams.  
I don't think we'll have any more new books beyond what have already been announced. There might be more figurines and tiles, but books, I don't think so. They are all too busy with dndnext to put people on writing anything for a condamned system. (which is, btw, quite a shame because there was plenty of ground left to explore, things like epic tier, spelljammer, ravenloft, planescape, mystara, birthright, just to name a few of what I would have loved seeing being published...)
I'd be happy with Heroes of the Astral Sea to get a nice symmetry for the past two years. Other than that, I'm good.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Ravenloft. I want to see something for Ravenloft other than the board game, which I think was pretty nice. Also, I would really love "real" support for the vampire class. I know that will never happen, but it would be nice. I also agree with Alter Boy. Heroes of the Astral Sea would make a lot of sense in filling their Heroes of____ line of books.

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, "Are you really sure?"

DMG3.

It's been shelved long enough.  Before they finally stop supporting 4e, I want the last of the DMGs.  I thoroughly enjoyed the DMG, DMG2 and the DM Kit.  But it's time for the epic tier support and the last good measure of DM advice and goodies (like themes, templates, traps & hazards, and a good sample Epic tier homebase and adventure).  There's plenty of stuff to put in there, and anything that seems outdated could be improved.  Did I also mention how good it will feel to have the trilogy sitting on our shelves finally?

I also think they should finish the Players Option line with Heroes of the Astral Sea.  It's all about having that feeling of closure.  Bring everything together and answering loose questions, like the series finale of House.  Don't leave us hanging like Alcatraz or John Doe.
Sorry for the TV references, just felt like it was a good metaphor.

And now for a suggestion that has absolutely nothing to do with closure: another Monster Manual!
Why?  Because you can never have enough monsters.  Looking at all the 3/3.5 books tells you that.

And if anybody at WotC happens to read this forum and our posts: Thank you for taking the time to look at our suggestions.
Given the choice between 4e stuff now, or a better 5e, I'd prefer to wait and get some really good 5e content.

Published adventures spanning several levels of play is what I'd like to see. Something like the H/P/E series but with more puzzles and RP and less combat encounters. 

DMG3.

It's been shelved long enough.  Before they finally stop supporting 4e, I want the last of the DMGs.  I thoroughly enjoyed the DMG, DMG2 and the DM Kit.  But it's time for the epic tier support and the last good measure of DM advice and goodies (like themes, templates, traps & hazards, and a good sample Epic tier homebase and adventure).  There's plenty of stuff to put in there, and anything that seems outdated could be improved.  Did I also mention how good it will feel to have the trilogy sitting on our shelves finally?

I agree.  If they're going to end D&D 4E official support, they should at least give DMs who still want to run D&D 4E some guidelines on how to keep everyone engaged and enjoying epic tier especially considering that epic tier is -- and should be -- a different beast from heroic or paragon tier.  After all, if heroic tier adventurers are finding their place in the world, and paragon tier adventurers are at already basically the best of the best... then what are epic tier adventurers?

Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
DMG3.

I agree.  If they're going to end D&D 4E official support, they should at least give DMs who still want to run D&D 4E some guidelines on how to keep everyone engaged and enjoying epic tier especially considering that epic tier is -- and should be -- a different beast from heroic or paragon tier.  After all, if heroic tier adventurers are finding their place in the world, and paragon tier adventurers are at already basically the best of the best... then what are epic tier adventurers?

They're just like the Doctor: Dark Legends.
Given the choice between 4e stuff now, or a better 5e, I'd prefer to wait and get some really good 5e content.

Well 5e has (in theory) years to work on its material, if we don't get any 4e stuff now, then short of Paizo or some other company picking up the slack, we don't get any more period. Besides, right now 5e looks soundly disappointing.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

There are so many things I'd like to see published for 4E that I'm sure will NEVER see the light of day. DMG3 (as already mentioned), more of the "power" books (and support for the original class builds), a Ravenloft official setting, and the list goes on.

Sadly, I think that we are unlikely to see any more really solid releases for 4E. WotC knows that 4E is "ending" and so do all of the players. And so most of the players are going to ditch their 4E stuff and start wrapping up their campaigns so that they can be part of the playtest stuff for DnDNext. It isn't economically sound for WotC to publish books to a rapidly diminishing market.

And, from what little I know about the 4E GSL, there will not by any 3rd party publishers to pick up where WotC left off (like Paizo did with Pathfinder under the OGL). So, it seems that 4E is destined for the dust bin (in the eyes of WotC).

I find this very sad because 4E had so little time to get going. And I also find it sad that WotC is seemingly now the "corporate giant" that doesn't really care about the audience and just wants to crunch out the "next big thing" for us to buy.

(starting a side-tracked rant here)

I started playing D&D in 1981 with the "blue box" set for Basic D&D. I quickly got into 1e AD&D and followed that to 2e AD&D. And though they were technically separate editions of the game, they were so much alike that I could use any of my existing 1e stuff (like adventures and monsters) directly in any 2e game. When 3e was released (in late 2000, if I recall correctly) I saw it as a much-needed revision of the entire gaming system. It got rid of many things I didn't like and brought the game to a place where I thought it was enjoyable. And in 2003(ish) when the "3.5" revisions were released, I didn't bat an eye because it was a relatively minor (and beneficial, in my opinion) update. It didn't require that I get rid of all of my existing books. In fact, most of my 3.0 stuff worked just fine as-is or with very minor tweaks. And overall, it was a good system (even with the absurd grappling rules).

I was at GenCon Indy in 2007 when 4E was officially announced. We all knew it was coming. And I was disappointed when I looked at my vast collection of 3.x books I had purchased over the last 7 years because I knew that they would be useless in the next edition. But when I saw 4E and how it worked, I immediately loved it. I had finally found a system where the combat resolution was very detailed and fun, the character options were open for a great deal of growth, and the learning curve wasn't too steep for new players. All of the gripes I had about 3.x were gone and the few I've found about 4E are still minor by comparison.

So, in 2008, with the release of the 4E core books, I gladly closed the doors on all of my 3.x stuff and haven't looked back since. And now, only 4 years later, WotC has done it again. They have told me that all of my books will not be useful in any way to the "next iteration" of the game. They have said that even though I've been a loyal customer in supporting the product and buying the books, maps, minis, and getting a DDI subscription, they're still going to pull out the rug from beneath me.

All of this in half of the time it took them to do it for 3rd edidtion.

I've read what they are trying to do with DnDNext. I understand their design goals and everything. And that's great. But I don't think it is for me. It is likely that I'll learn and understand this "next iteration", but it is very, very unlikely that I'll spend a dime on the books and other support products. I'll keep up with the new rules out of my own curiosity, but I'm going to continue to play 4E, an edition I know and love that works just fine as it is.

WotC says that they are making "an edition to unite the players". The only reason they aren't united now is that WotC has been forcing people to switch editions too often. The only reason there are "edition wars" is that people like to play different games. Some people don't like 4E. So what. Some people don't like 3rd or 2nd or 1st or Basic or whatever. So what. I think that all WotC will accomplish with DnDNext is to create an edition that will be loved by some and hated by others. Just like they did with 3rd and 4th editions. This so called "edition war" will continue. And so, how long until WotC decides to come out with DnDYetAgain? Or NotYourFathersDnD? Or 6E or whatever they will call the next iteration after the current "next iteration"? If DnDNext comes out in 2013, that gives 4E a total run of about 5 years. So how long does DnDNext have? At their current trend, it would have 3 years, 4 tops. And the one after that? And after that?

For the sake of the game legacy, I hope DnDNext does what they wish to accomplish and it becomes the "last edition" because it never needs to change again. However, I fear it could be the "last edition" because people are going to give it up because they are tired of having to buy new rulebooks every other year.

Okay, I'm done ranting.  
Books that I would like to see:

1. Heroes of the Astral Sea (for divine and psionic characters... mostly, and rules and guidance to create your own gods/religions)
2. Feywild Campaign Guide
3. Dungeon Master 3 (Focus on Epic play)
4. Nerath Gazeteer (Rich Baker articles were great)
5. Advance Combat Guide (Rules for guns, cannons, sieges, running castles, mass combat, professions (such as blacksmithing, leatherworking, etc...), ship combat, more ship types/stats, and a lot of themes/backgrounds/class powers based on different types of combat, such as sieges, naval, aerial, and gunpower), and critical/fumble alternative rules.
Well I know NONE of my ideas would ever get made but here we go:

1)  Player's Options: Powers of the Far realm- A player book dealing with the psionics, madness (as in psedo natural power and Mad Science) and aberant power.

2)  Cronomancy- A book dealing with the school of cronomancy, which would include 3 new esstenial classes, Cronomancer, Temporal Druid and Time thief. Also equipment both magical and mundane from across time (including guns, mechs, and other technological items)

Thats pretty much all I have for now, and I know it won't happen.  
What about a book with all the stuff thhey did not want to put in other books?
We might not get any new books, but we've still got at least another year of Dragon/Dungeon to give us new material. That's our best bet to get what we want out of 4e before it is officially ended by WotC. Maybe if we make enough noise they'll listen to our suggestions when planning the next cycle of articles.
Products I would like to see before 4e is closed are,

• An adventure module(s) that involes the gods, primordials, and them at war because it would really end the 4e story. Also because this would be a really cool concept to explore.

• A very classic Dungeon Crawl Module like Dugeonland to give our groups a good laugh and a fun night at the table.

• A book on spelljammers and cocepts from that setting because every since I found out about the AD&D setting I want to use them in my game more than what is said in Manuel of Planes. 

• More stuff for Darksun and other setting because this just annoyed me that Wotc printed setting and dose not have alot of material for them.

Ofcourse a book on flintlocks and other firearms but also I would really like to see that adventure on the gods and the primordials at war since 4e was so heavy base on that arc.
Books that I would like to see:

1. Heroes of the Astral Sea (for divine and psionic characters... mostly, and rules and guidance to create your own gods/religions)
2. Feywild Campaign Guide
3. Dungeon Master 3 (Focus on Epic play)
4. Nerath Gazeteer (Rich Baker articles were great)
5. Advance Combat Guide (Rules for guns, cannons, sieges, running castles, mass combat, professions (such as blacksmithing, leatherworking, etc...), ship combat, more ship types/stats, and a lot of themes/backgrounds/class powers based on different types of combat, such as sieges, naval, aerial, and gunpower), and critical/fumble alternative rules.

Spot on, my first thought was a feywild book similar to the great book Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond, and the Advanced Players Guide, with a Unearthed Arcana feel. I would love to move my worlds timeline forward so black powder is a natural last step for 4e, and a last horra of themes in a book and rules for war and kingdoms would be great.... it would be a single book to give a lot of longgevity to the endition.

Also Please Please keep 4e in the charater builder forever!!!!!
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
I'd like to see, "Heroes of the Melee Basic Attacks," with options for melee classes that don't have a good MBA because they are not strength-based. Smile