Mono Black Zombies (sort of)

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
About 1-2 months ago a lot of mono black zombie decks were popping up after PTDKA.  I built one and was planning to take it to FNM, since it seemed like a fun alternative to Delver, Wolf-Run Ramp, etc.  Unfortunately, I ended up having to work a bunch of Fridays in a row.  I was wondering if these decks are still viable, or if I should just scrap it and look for something else.

My current list:
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Current Decks: Elves B/R Aggro/Discard Horde of Notions EDH Thraximundar EDH
Mono black Is not too bad, but B/U and B/R are both looking stronger. There's a big Thread about it in standard deck help here.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
also... 2 drops? Disruption? I hear those are good.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

Hmm... you don't have space for Undying Evil?  That card is completely broken!  It would have a lot of good synergy with ETB / LTB effects here (why, hello there, skin render), and is very easy to cast.  In this deck, I feel it would almost always be card neutral at least, and, as a one-drop, could represent a significant tempo advantage. 

Just a thought

Hmm... you don't have space for Undying Evil?  That card is completely broken!  It would have a lot of good synergy with ETB / LTB effects here (why, hello there, skin render), and is very easy to cast.  In this deck, I feel it would almost always be card neutral at least, and, as a one-drop, could represent a significant tempo advantage. 

Just a thought

If by "completely broken" you mean "barely playable even in limited" then yeah, you're right.

Mono-Black Zombies is rather pointless, just because adding a second color gives you more options (Blue gives clones and Captain, red gives Aristocrat and other goodies [hint: run RB]) but Zombies itself is a good option if for some reason you don't want to play Delver. You don't need Gruesome Discovery, and you need Highborn Ghoul. 

(at)MrEnglish22

First and foremost if you decided you want to go 2-color you want blood artist before the double black highborn ghoul which i do recommend doing(either splash is fine they are both good for their own reasons already explained above) 

Secondly Drop the crusaders as you dont wanna be focusing on two different forms of damage(Infect and regular damage)

The deck is still very viable in the meta though.... Ive seen them top 8 in quite a few events recently so i wouldnt give up on it just yet..

Also going red/black is probably better if you want your cards to be legal for longer... The blue version runs metamorphs or images that wont be legal once scars block rotates in about 3 1/2 months  
also... 2 drops? Disruption? I hear those are good.

Well, I do not really think having a 2 drop for the sake of a two drop is essential.  It is intended to be aggro, so I think the preventative spells in there and the sideboard seem sufficient.

Just a thought

To me, undying evil seems like a bit of a waste of a card.

If by "completely broken" you mean "barely playable even in limited" then yeah, you're right.

Mono-Black Zombies is rather pointless, just because adding a second color gives you more options (Blue gives clones and Captain, red gives Aristocrat and other goodies [hint: run RB]) but Zombies itself is a good option if for some reason you don't want to play Delver. You don't need Gruesome Discovery, and you need Highborn Ghoul. 

I would consider red, blue decks just are not that fun to play for me.  I liked the idea of playing mono-black, because I play black/red casually quite often.  I think that is a great idea though. 

First and foremost if you decided you want to go 2-color you want blood artist before the double black highborn ghoul which i do recommend doing(either splash is fine they are both good for their own reasons already explained above) 

Secondly Drop the crusaders as you dont wanna be focusing on two different forms of damage(Infect and regular damage)

The deck is still very viable in the meta though.... Ive seen them top 8 in quite a few events recently so i wouldnt give up on it just yet..

Also going red/black is probably better if you want your cards to be legal for longer... The blue version runs metamorphs or images that wont be legal once scars block rotates in about 3 1/2 months  

Well, the crusaders are not there because of the Infect.  It is a nice bonus, but the protection and the first strike in addition to being a 2/2 zombie were what inspired me to include it.  I think he is still a pretty solid creature without the Infect though. 

I will look into r/b though!

Oh! I did not post this in MBC because I was not dead set on it staying MB, but I also do not feel this fits in mono-black control.  Plus that thread is so muddled, and it is too easy for single posts to get lost in it.

Thank you for all the thoughts.  I would love to hear more.  I am on vacation until the 24th though, so I probably will not seriously start tweaking until after I get back home.

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Current Decks: Elves B/R Aggro/Discard Horde of Notions EDH Thraximundar EDH

Blood Artist isn't terrible. But Highborn Ghoul is, you know, actually relevant. Blood Artist is probably one of the worst things to play on turn two that I can imagine, and Zombies' big weakness as a deck is that it doesn't have a large number (read: none) of good two drops. I'd rather have an aggressive beater than something that gives me reach. Of course, the best card would probably be Stormblood Berserker.

Crusader isn't the best 3 drop, but if you are mono-black you don't get a ton of options, and I've seen a good number of zombie decks run it because of the protection and win through poison. If you splash though, you can run other, better cards.

(at)MrEnglish22

I've been running mono-black mainly-zombies (I prefer to think of it as a Blood Artist deck) for the last couple of weeks, and having a lot of success - since I tweaked it to the final (for now) build I'd say I've won about 75-80% of games I play. Some of the interactons around Blood Artist here have been insane, especially Killing Wave with all those undying creatures. Plus you seldom need more than four or five swamps on the board, which is making me think of reducing the land count, or possibly trading some swamps for Ghost Quarters to handle the Wolf Runs/Townships/Caverns that you see so much of. Anyway, here's the current list, thoughts welcome!

23 x Swamp

4 x Gravecrawler
4 x Butcher Ghoul
4 x Geralf's Messenger
4 x Blood Artist
4 x Demonlord of Ashmouth
4 x Diregraf Ghoul

4 x Bone Splinters
4 x Tragic Slip
3 x Killing Wave
2 x Altar's Reap

I've found that if I can get two Blood Artists on the board, I literally always win, against any deck I've hit so far. Failing to get the artist out, or getting him removed early, reduces the win rate a fair bit, but the creatures on their own tend to keep me at probably 60% even if I can't use the interactions that undying and my spells produce. Unsurprisingly, my worst match-up is invariably anything which plays Grafidgger's Cage - a card which makes a real mess of the deck. 
its already been stated, but get 4 blood artists, quickly

also, splashing either blue or red is generally accepted.  either present different strengths and overall make the deck faster or more resilient to hate.  you should be able to search sites like the mothership here or even over at starcitygames to find good example lists. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Zombie Birthing Pod decks seem to do pretty well against Delver.  I've been playing around with a U/B variant because I like the Image/Metamorph interaction with Geralf's Messenger, but I've seen a number of R/B in top 8's.  I don't think there is much point to trying to do Zombies without Blood Artist at the moment.  Disciple of Giselbrand is a card that I have found works well with Blood Artist since it gives you a sac outlet and extra life gain for 1 mana.  If you want to run Pod, you really need 4 of Woodland Cemetary so that you don't have to use the Phyrexian mana option too much.
Sign In to post comments