Session Zero Rules Refresher

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
So after a few weeks of DM prep time, three players and myself will be diving head first into our second D&D campaign, the Age of Worms adventure path beginning in Diamond Lake.
However, since it's been about six months since my players have all rolled dice, I'm thinking of having our Session Zero be a side adventure that will help refresh everyone's memories about combat/inititive/skills etc. Any ideas on a quick, one hour session's worth side quest that could fill this gap?
For anyone familiar with Whispering Cairn/Diamond Lake, if it's possible to have it incorporated into the main storyline that'd be excellant.
Since this side quest refresher will be Wednesday night, I'm also hoping that it's something I can pull off with little or no prep time, leaving me more time to focus on the Saturday game which will be the campaign beginning proper.

Another thought: is there anything like Encounters for 3.5e? I've heard those are pretty much plug-and-play, although there's not a chance 4e would fly with my group.
Currently DMing a 3.5e AoW game one night a week. Players are almost through Three Faces of Evil. If you are considering beginning this campaign using this edition, I can help.
Session Zero is best for party/character creation, collective worldbuilding, and agreeing on the tone of the game. A review of the social contract is also a good idea. Everyone should put their ideas on the table and discuss it until the foundation of the game has been set. It's a good idea to make sure everyone understands what the adventure path is about in general and whether they're onboard with being a bonded band of heroes facing impossible odds in the face of unspeakable evil. Once everyone is onboard, you'll be ready to begin your campaign.

If there's time, throw a combat at them, perhaps the wolves in the Whispering Cairn. Then call it a night on that high note with the entrance of the dungeon looming large in their minds.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Sign In to post comments