Kobold Champion Promo Card: 2 versions?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was super lucky recently when a friend of mine gave me an unexpected present...
a copy of the ultra-rare Kobold Champion monster card released as a promo for Wrath of Ashardalon at the Pax West 2010 convention.

I was comparing my card to the other monster cards in WoA and CR when I noticed something odd. Each of the monsters from the boxed games contain the following text on the very bottom:

"TM and © 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC"

whereas my Kobold Champion card has the following text:

"© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC"

Thinking this was kind of wierd, I went to boardgamegeek to see if there was any discussion on it. Much to surprise, the website has two different images posted for the card, one the same as mine and another that has the "TM and..." similar to the other monster cards. You can see the two different images here (like mine) and here (not like mine).

So what's going on here? Are there two different versions of this card? If so, where and when was the second version released? I'm quite certain my copy was one of the Pax West copies, the other one I have no idea about.
The official promo card simply says "© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC". I'm not sure why they changed it for the promo, but that's what they printed. Now, for the second picture you linked, with "TM and © 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC", I'm actually the one who created and posted that image. I recreated the card from scratch in Photoshop. I put the "TM and" part back on the card since that's what all the other monter cards say (as you noticed). Of course, I'd be first in line to buy the Kobold Champion card if Wizards sold it at a decent price, but since it's unavailable, I decided to remake it for myself, rather than print off a fuzzy scan of it (like the first picture you linked).

Hope that answers your question! 
The official promo card simply says "© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC". I'm not sure why they changed it for the promo, but that's what they printed. Now, for the second picture you linked, with "TM and © 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC", I'm actually the one who created and posted that image. I recreated the card from scratch in Photoshop. I put the "TM and" part back on the card since that's what all the other monter cards say (as you noticed). Of course, I'd be first in line to buy the Kobold Champion card if Wizards sold it at a decent price, but since it's unavailable, I decided to remake it for myself, rather than print off a fuzzy scan of it (like the first picture you linked).

Hope that answers your question! 

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. Your version is much nicer than the nasty scan. Fortunately I have a copy of the card thanks to a generous friend (GRIN) but prior to that I used your version and a proxy. Thanks for the work you put it in, it looks great.

Did you make a blank template for the monster cards? I'd like to design some of my own homebrews.
Yeah, I've made templates for every card in the game, lol Tongue Out
You can find them here

By scouring the BGG pages, you can find hundreds of custom monsters... here's a couple links to get you started
Team ANT's thread 
Chromatic Dragon's CR Monsters
Chromatic Dragon's WoA Monsters
NinjaDorg's Fantasy Adventure Monsters
Siddis Vicious' Custom Monsters