06/05/2012 Serious Fun: "The Blade of Goldnight"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Awesome article, very fun to see a play by play! I would love to see more like this.
"Gisela always strikes first!"
that game seemed to be played by G and H with two bystanders
Your changes made the deck worse. Your main problem is you can't draw cards. You need to draw cards, and in these colors, that means artifact ways of doing it. You've got too many slots with cards that are good when things are going well. If everything works, putting swords on things is fun, but the new ones are win more cards. The old ones get cards into your hand, which you really need.

You need the artifact mana accelleration or you aren't going to go anywhere. Cutting those is bad here. With a general that costs 7, you need 50% of the cards you draw to be land, and that isn't going to happen. Artifacts help smooth that, and you still need to be running the 36 lands in addition to putting all those artifacts back in. The biggest mistake I see builders make is not playing enough land. Look at how expensive your stuff is. How do you expect to cast it in colors that don't ramp mana? You can't miss land drops to the tune you probably want journeyer's kite too.

You also need to drop the mass sweepers that will kill your own artifacts. You took out the o stone, but akroma's vengeance must go. After mind's eye and other ways to draw cards, you need to add white's tools to protect your artifacts since those are what need to be going in, and in large quantities.

Even if you get this deck to not lose to itself, Gisela isn't nearly as fun as she looks. She drags games trying to figure out what everything does. You still take full damage from an opposing Malignus for instance, and opponents can one-shot each other w/ that guy too. While that isn't bad for you, if it happens and then you terminus, someone gets to be a spectator for awhile. So far, AVR looks sweet but plays kind of sour.   
Try not running so many cool beat-down cards, and some actually decent stuff to compliment Gisela. Don't act surprised when people beat you down if she hits the board, as she's the polar opposite of Edric in this respect. Try running good, GOOD cards with her - cut garbage like voice of all, put in something like Hammerfist Giant to be cast before you whip out Gisela, or Scout's Warning so you can whip her out at the end of someone else's turn, then on yours bust out Starstorm or somesuch. Right now the deck looks like something a Timmy threw together with angelic-looking cards in mind.

Also, uh, seeing as how everyone and their mom abuses the graveyard, you might want to consider some hate for it. Even a Relic can go pretty far. And it cantrips!
Played a 3-way EDH this past weekend between Azusa (me), Oros, and Sliver Overlord.  Oros had finally gotten a Gisela into her deck and it was time to test it out.  Gisela, is awesome!  Sure Overlord and I teamed up once gisela landed, but man that damage reduction kept Oros alive and kicking our heads in.  The only thing that kept us alive, I think, was Overlord's Telekinetic Sliver which kept Gisela and her other angel and dragon friends from murduring both of us on the spot.

Then, once life points were low enough I proceeded to drop Mimic Vat followed by All is Dust.  I stole the Gisela with the vat, made a token and swung for the kill on Overlord. 

It took me two turns before I finished Oros off b/c she had out Akroma's Memorial and redropped her general to keep my gisela tokens at bay.  Fortunately for me I top decked Darksteel Colossus and swung in for a mighty 22 indestructible trample damage (courtesy of the gisela token's double damage)

Yes, Gisela works very well. XDDDD

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Called it three weeks ago, right after you posted that decklist.

36 lands and 6 cheap mana spells? In an angel deck? That's just begging for a mana screw.

And while you did add more lands, getting rid of SOL RING of all things is a mistake. It's literally the best EDH card in Magic.
Adam,

I'm glad to see that you made some changes, as your I found your original list a little un-inspiring compared to lots of other Commander decks I've seen you post.  I'm glad you're working on some edits, and it will be interesting to see what happens afterwards, especially with Planechase.  Planechase Commander is loads of fun and makes for some interesting plays.

I don't have any real recommendations for the deck, but it seemed very similar to your Basandra deck you made last summer.  Maybe it's just the color scheme.  I think more damage dealing or even damage prevention for yourself would help everything fit flavorfully together.  All in all, I'm not super competitive with Commander, so I just try to pick interesting combinations and have fun.

Thanks for sharing this build with us, and I look forward to seeing the list change and develop.  That's what Magic is all about.

Respectfully,

FearOfTheDark
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Your changes made the deck worse.

Even if you get this deck to not lose to itself, Gisela isn't nearly as fun as she looks.

I think Adam's goal is to have fun more so than win: "[H]olding firm to how you want to enjoy your deck keeps things much more fun." Personally, I've been having lots of fun winning with Gisela. That being said, my build is much more Spiky than Adam's and I daresay we're both okay with that.

Right now the deck looks like something a Timmy threw together with angelic-looking cards in mind.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Yes, Gisela works very well. XDDDD

This.

…it will be interesting to see what happens afterwards, especially with Planechase.  Planechase Commander is loads of fun and makes for some interesting plays. […] That's what Magic is all about.

Here's the Planar deck I built for my Gisela build:
Astral Arena
Kilnspire District
Naar Isle
Otaria
Panopticon
Pools of Becoming
Sanctum of Serra
Shiv
Chaotic Aether
Planewide Disaster
Gisela WORLDFIREGisela W/r HUMANS