Xark - Githzerai Avenger - Thoughts?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm hopping into an already in progress game with some friends after a couple of years away from D&D and pretty excited about it. I inquired as to what class I should pick up to add some synergy to the party, but they're already playing multiple characters per person so the synergy is already in place. So I'm extra cannon-fire then. Avenger was suggested to me since they all hadn't played one and wanted to see one in action.

I was hoping to get a little insight into how this build looks. I've read through the Avenger Handbook so I have a bit of an idea how they work, but I strayed a little to from the recommendations to create some background turmoil having a Githzerai in the group for a group contrast of sorts.

I don't want to get too far into meta-gaming optimization data, as I'm only starting at level 8. However, I'd still like to be sort of on par with the other strikers in the group because I've played with the DM before and he is the sort to intentionally attempt a near-wipe every encounter.

Here is what I'm working with:

Githzerai Avenger

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Xark, level 8 Githzerai, Avenger
Build: Pursuing Avenger
Avenger's Censure Option: Censure of Pursuit

FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 14, CON 13, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 20, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 14, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 8

AC: 24 Fort: 18 Ref: 20 Will: 21
HP: 69 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +16, Perception +15, Religion +10, Stealth +14, Streetwise +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +4, Athletics +8, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +5,
Heal +9, History +4, Insight +9, Intimidate +3, Nature +9, Thievery +8

POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Githzerai Racial Power: Iron Mind
Avenger Feature: Abjure Undead
Avenger Feature: Divine Guidance
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity

Avenger Attack 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger Attack 1: Radiant Vengeance
Avenger Attack 1: Whirlwind Charge
Avenger Attack 1: Aspect of Might
Avenger Utility 2: Silver Shadow
Avenger Utility 2: Distracting Flare
Avenger Attack 3: Fury's Advance
Avenger Attack 5: Executioner's Cloak
Avenger Attack 7: Blade Step

FEATS Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Battle Awareness
Level 4: Invigorating Pursuit
Level 6: Unarmored Agility
Level 8: Githzerai Blade Master

ITEMS
Robe of Avoidance Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
Holy Symbol x1
Potion of Healing
Badge of the Berserker +1 x1
Deep Wounding Fullblade +2 x1
====== End ======

Any constructive criticism? Any blatant mistakes I'm missing?

Also, I have a couple questions regarding the Oath of Enmity. Obviously it only applies the bonus 2 + Wis Mod damage towards enemies moving away from you. Does this apply only after naming the Oath (If they've moved away from you previous to this designation this round, does it count)? If it only counts after the designation, how would an Avenger operate in a melee intensive group where creatures rarely move?

Sorry for the noob questions, it's been a good long while since I've played.
Thanks for reading!

THis is better posted in the Character Optimization forum... CharDev deals mainly with narrative details and non-mechanical stuff - CharOp are the ones to tell you if your character will be on par with the rest of the current party and if you've left out anything important.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Sign In to post comments