Can we all turn down the heat?

Any chance we can get some moderation in this forum?  Seems like half of every thread is people nitpicking spelling, calling each other stupid and trying to defend themselves.  Not very conducive to a positive environment of teamwork towards what should be a common goal.

To my fellow posters, please focus on language and content.  Accept that there will be disagreements in design philosophy, but try to get across your points by focusing on your arguments rather than the character and intelligence of those who do not agree.

I see a lot of wasted energy on personal attacks, if you want your opinion to have any impact on the future of this game, a more likely path to success is not to hide your opinions in massive diatribes or browbeating others into agreeing with you.  The designers won't read your posts, and others rarely change their opinions.  When they do, it's not because you called them stupid or corrected their spelling, it's because you have a valid point and are able to deliver it without hurting feelings. 
Agreed sir.

I attempt to refrain from sinking to that level but in the heat of the moment I can come across a little cross.

When I do I attempt to apologize.

My goals are the same and rational compromise across all systems and styles of play.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

I wholeheartedly agree. Ad Hominem attacks are usually frowned upon on forums.
I haven't seen anything of the sort. I have seen people calling out posters when they use logical fallacies or factually wrong evidence to try to support their arguments.

I have yet to see one poster call another poster 'stupid' or anything of the sort...

I have seen heated discussions, but they all involve actual constructive discussions...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
On the contrary, I've seen a bunch of some reeeeaaaallllly rude things said to other posters, "Can you read?" in one of them.  Belittling of intelligence in others, etc.  I agree with the OP that there is NO room for that here and if you can't keep it at the very least civil, you have NO business posting, period.  Seriously, people, didn't your mama's teach you better than that??  My parents always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all... that was when I was young.  By all means, share your opinions but do so respectfully and in a constructive manner.
Absolutely agree with the OP
I absolutely agree with the OP.  I'd have made a lot more posts if I didn't :p
Let me add my voice in the preaching to the choir. I, too, can agree to a facade of civility on a civil thread.

Sincerely,

Kultz

OP, while I agree with you 10,000% we in this thread are all fighting an uphill battle.  I have been on many many many forums and they are all the same - internet anonimity brings out the worst in people .

But I thank you for the effort .

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Are you really "entitled to your opinion"?
RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.
Too add to this:

Posters, please recognize that while your table may not have experienced a problem, it doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist, or is so uncommon it should not be taken into consideration.

Please also don't acuse people off falsehood just because they related having a problem that you never experienced.
Planes Wanderer
OP, while I agree with you 10,000% we in this thread are all fighting an uphill battle.  I have been on many many many forums and they are all the same - internet anonimity brings out the worst in people .

But I thank you for the effort .

As much as anything, I feel like the internet shows how little people get to communicate in genuine conversation in their day to day lives.  Communication is a skill.  If the offending posters were any better at it in their day to day lives, they'd realize how poorly they're getting their points across.

I have been in forums that are perfectly civil, I think it does take a concerted effort by a majority of people who care to subtly correct and teach a minority that tries to make every conversation into a heated debate.
The problem I've been having is the constant threadjacking and trolling. I start reading a thread that seems to be an interesting discussion about some aspect of the playtest rules and someone pops in to say how horrible the rule is, how horrible the game is, and how they're not buying it because they don't seem to realize that this is a playtest and not a rules preview. It's driving me nuts.

I like the rules. They're rough. There are problems. We should be discussing them. We shouldn't be turning every single thread on the entire board into shouting matches over people misreading the rules and declaring the edition sucks or not liking one aspect and declaring the edition sucks or just flat out declaring the edition sucks.

If you don't like something in the rules, explain why you don't like it. What will happen is that other people will come into the thread and share their opinions on that rule. Then you can see other viewpoints on the rule and, in some cases, possibly see that you were wrong about the rule being bad (which has happened two or three times with people not reading the casting section of the cleric sheet correctly because it's laid out oddly). Or possibly your description of the problem will let someone else see the issue where they didn't see it before (which has happened to me with Ray of Frost being broken as an at-will). Or something someone else says may spark an idea for how to fix the problem while not hurting what others like about the rule and vice-versa. In the end, we all walk away with a better understanding of the new game and Wizards of the Coast has more data about what needs to be done.
On the contrary, I've seen a bunch of some reeeeaaaallllly rude things said to other posters, "Can you read?" in one of them.  Belittling of intelligence in others, etc.  I agree with the OP that there is NO room for that here and if you can't keep it at the very least civil, you have NO business posting, period.  Seriously, people, didn't your mama's teach you better than that??  My parents always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all... that was when I was young.  By all means, share your opinions but do so respectfully and in a constructive manner.

Wait so your parents said "Be an optimist or I'm going to spank you."? Really? That's pretty messed up...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
"Due to complaints received about this thread, I've closed it. The thread will be reviewed to determine if it should be permanently closed, re-opened, and/or a new thread or threads created in it’s place."