Fully Xbow Alchemical Artificier - Need help!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys,

I'd like to build up an almost fully RP character : a dwarf artificier using a crossbow to shoot alchemical items using (mostly) weapon powers.

Problem? Even if I know this is really not the fully functionnal maximized artificier, I would still like this character to be good in combat. Not the best, but still good enough to do his job. 

My DM is allowing me to use any (or almost any) alchemical items as ammution (with the +1 item level rule) and also use them with powers since alchemical items used alone are really not powerful enough to usually compete with any power a character could have.

So, my question (and challenge!) is : which feats should I aim for? I currently took distant advantage (both of my teammates are melee), white lotus dueling expertise (thought of crossbow expertise but it wouldn't add it's bonus on the implement powers), steady shooter, potent restorables, ritualist + master mixer and finally improved defenses.

My paragon is Spell Commander so it allows me to use my xbow as an implement (still the xbow expertise do not add in the char builder).

Should I change something or do you have any advice for this type of character? I repeat that I know it is not the best / maybe impossible to max this, but thanks anyway!

Any soul willing to share its knowledge is welcome! :D
By the way, the more I read, the more I think I will change my PP for Master Preserver...
Spell Commander is a great PP if your allies have decent basic attacks, so you should stick with that one.

If you're a CON Artificer, Enhanced Resistive Formula is one of the best feats you'll ever take. If you're not... you should consider being a CON Artificer.

If you're still looking for things to do with your feats, you might consider multiclassing. Warlord has some really fantastic utilities to swap for, like Reorient the Axis, and a few good powers that don't rely on a STR-based attack. Wizard has some gems, and if you're a WIS Artificer, you could poach some excellent Druid summons.
If you're open to Race change, Warforged make FANTASTIC Artificers, have an amazing racial power, item support, and the right stats for it. What's more, they have feats and items that help Alchemical item users.

Oh, and read this thread, besides the Artificer Handbook: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

As a past Warforged Artificer player, I suggest the following, as well: Reparation Appartus (item), Shield of Fellowship (item), Quick Recovery (feat), Battle-Scarred Champion (item), Amulet of Vigor (item), Enhanced Resistive Formula (feat), Arcane Familiar (Dragonmark Reflection) (feat). - it's just fun granting more than 2 SV per Surge, to 2 allies.

As for a PP, Spell Commander / Battle Engineer. If that doesn't suit you, Lyrander Windrider or Alchemical Savant both work.

Take Master Mixer instead of Arcane Ritualist, and get the Alchemsit Theme.
If you're open to Race change, Warforged make FANTASTIC Artificers, have an amazing racial power, item support, and the right stats for it. What's more, they have feats and items that help Alchemical item users.

Oh, and read this thread, besides the Artificer Handbook: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

As a past Warforged Artificer player, I suggest the following, as well: Reparation Appartus (item), Shield of Fellowship (item), Quick Recovery (feat), Battle-Scarred Champion (item), Amulet of Vigor (item), Enhanced Resistive Formula (feat), Arcane Familiar (Dragonmark Reflection) (feat). - it's just fun granting more than 2 SV per Surge, to 2 allies.

As for a PP, Spell Commander / Battle Engineer. If that doesn't suit you, Lyrander Windrider or Alchemical Savant both work.

Take Master Mixer instead of Arcane Ritualist, and get the Alchemsit Theme.

Don't forget Shared Valor Armor.  It's really nice to get some of the THP's you're raining upon your allies.
Spell Commander is a great PP if your allies have decent basic attacks, so you should stick with that one.

The problem that I saw with Spell Commander is that some feature can only be used if I'm in melee/really near melee to grant bonuses to my melee allies.

If you're a CON Artificer, Enhanced Resistive Formula is one of the best feats you'll ever take. If you're not... you should consider being a CON Artificer.

Why should I consider CON > WIS? CON = more temps for sure, but WIS seems to give good shields and stuff. Do you have any particular powers/feat that I could see that would convince me? Cause if you are right, this is still a good time for me to change my leveling route (the game is already started, but we're still level 1)

I can't really do this as the game is already started.

I can't seem to understand why is alchemical savant such a good PP. Even in the thread you linked, the only features that seems to be good are the level 16 +2 to hit with alchemical items and the power to generate a duplicate for 1 battle. I do not understand how the fact that I can reuse "older" items to create new ones can be good as they will probably be used in combat and not be used as reagents. 

I might have missed something and all the questions I'm asking are for my better comprehension of what you are talking about.

The problem that I saw with Spell Commander is that some feature can only be used if I'm in melee/really near melee to grant bonuses to my melee allies.

Spell Commander supports ranged allies as well, but either way you'll want to be adjacent to your allies so they get the bonuses from Magic Weapon anyway.
Magic Weapon is really not that good in my situation (I'm ranged and both my allies are melee)... I know this power is mandatory, but either I'm in melee with them or and I take another power. I did the latter.
In situations like that. Stand in the second row just behind your allies. Will still be threaten by blasts, bursts, and reach but giving away all that sweet sweet Magic Weapon goodness.