DOTP 2013 Goblin Deck

99 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i know there hasn't been much of a preview for this deck yet but with E3 happening this week i'm sure were going to hear something. Anyway I want to get this thread started because of all the decks I am really pulling for this one for some reason. All I know for sure is that it has goblin piledriver. Honestly that's enough to get me excited about it. I'll do a deck list and if people get some confirmed stuff please let me know.

Deck list

goblin piledriver
siege-gang commander
raging goblin
shock
goblin wardriver
reckless one
goblin arsonist
goblin piker
gempalm incinerator
krenko's command
krenko, mob boss
I'm really hoping for things like goblin chieftain and goblin warchief. From the screenshot it should be very fast so im guessing things like raging goblin and dragon fodder will probably be there. I'm really hoping for goblin matron to get stuff.
If this decks wants to win in the early game, it can't rely on Raging Goblins and Dragon Fodders. It must have good and efficient early beaters, like:

Goblin Cohort
Goblin Guide
Goblin Striker

Also, I know the decks is a Aggro-Weenies deck, but I want it has some reach. So:

Fodder Cannon
Goblin Grenade
Goblin War Strike
Quest for the Goblin Lord
Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
Rise of the Hobgoblins
Goblin Razerunners
Goblin Goon
Goblin Artillery

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I defenitly agree for it to have a chance it needs more than raging goblin. I could see things like goblin grenade, goblin artillery and goblin goon. Hoping there in but who knows. goblin sharpshooter would be nuts
Some new cards added at the top
I'd be surprised if there's not at least one of a Warren Instigator or Goblin Lackey in this deck.
I know that we have only seen 5 cards for this deck but will this deck be fast enough? Pack Instinct ramps like crazy and Celestial Light has tons of lifegain creatures and [C]Day of Judgment[/C]. Mono :R: goblins need to be fast to be effective...very fast. Maybe we'll see some non-goblin cards like [C]Hellrider[/C] and artifacts like [C]Shrine of Burning Rage[/C].

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I'd be surprised if there's not at least one of a Warren Instigator or Goblin Lackey in this deck.

id be surprised if there's no goblin king
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I know that we have only seen 5 cards for this deck but will this deck be fast enough? Pack Instinct ramps like crazy and Celestial Light has tons of lifegain creatures and [C]Day of Judgment[/C]. Mono :R: goblins need to be fast to be effective...very fast. Maybe we'll see some non-goblin cards like [C]Hellrider[/C] and artifacts like [C]Shrine of Burning Rage[/C].

Obviously too soon to really tell, but it should be on the faster side giving it an edge in some match ups. I don't exactly like seeing Raging Goblin (or Shock for the matter, I feel they missed an opportunity for flavor with Tarfire), but it could probably stand a chance with a number of powerful cards, especially cards that help give it some lategame reach. Siege-Gang Commander is a start, and gives me hope.

Celestial Light seems like it's going to suck for any aggro deck though. Lifegain on bodies, Day of Judgment. That's just difficult to deal with when you're trying to win through small critters. As for Garruk, a ramp heavy style might be vulnerable, where spending a few turns ramping might let an aggressive deck smash in for enough damage. The more midrange style can be a problem though, as they can block and survive most smaller creatures, and some of them like Obstinate Baloth, are monsters to aggro just by themselves.
@aaronf88

Wow, the artwork of Goblin Sharpshooter is awesome. Old, but still awesome, a Goblin with a wodden Gatling is an awesome idea. Damn, i want this card in the Goblin deck to mow down an opponent with a lot of 1 damage shots. It's very similar to a Deathbringer Thoctar.

@CrazyToast

I have the same feeling. They don't have the amount of buff-creatures like Elves and Zombies, it's more about mass and kamikaze. Goblins need a lot of carddraw for endless stream of goblins and maybe some equipment to be good lategame, because Goblins have no power. Maybe we will see some dragons.

Red/Black Goblins?
@aaronf88
@CrazyToast

I have the same feeling. They don't have the amount of buff-creatures like Elves and Zombies, it's more about mass and kamikaze. Goblins need a lot of carddraw for endless stream of goblins and maybe some equipment to be good lategame, because Goblins have no power. Maybe we will see some dragons.

[C]Goblin King[/C] and [C]Goblin Chieftain[/C] are great for buffing those little monsters. I wouldn't mind seeing 4x Chieftains in this deck as I don't think they are overpowered. Other spells like [C]Banners Raised[/C] would provide additional strenght. Still all these cards aren't that great for late game.

For late game I see dragons (like you said) as an option - [C]Voracious Dragon[/C], [C]Predator Dragon[/C] and [C]Preyseizer Dragon[/C] are crazy finishers.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

@aaronf88

Wow, the artwork of Goblin Sharpshooter is awesome. Old, but still awesome, a Goblin with a wodden Gatling is an awesome idea. Damn, i want this card in the Goblin deck to mow down an opponent with a lot of 1 damage shots. It's very similar a Deathbringer Thoctar.

@CrazyToast

I actually remember seeing that card in my collection, didn't think it was good until I think more about it now. Never really had the cards to build a full goblin deck though
I agree that this going to have to be really really fast. From the one screen shot showing the deck stats and everything it is though. Shock isnt great but some removal is better than nothing. Really hope to hear more tomorrow. I'm banking on things like mogg flunkies or goblin goon. Oh and im sure were getting goblin king or goblin chieftain
If there is a red/black goblin deck some of these cards could be included:

Knucklebone Witch, Mad Auntie, Wort, Boggart Auntie, Quest for the Goblin Lord, Warren Instigator, Goblin Deathraiders, Frogtosser Banneret, Goblin Outlander and Boggart Harbinger.

Would be nice rather than a mono red goblin deck.
From what i saw it was turn 4 with 4 mountains and nothing but red cards played. May have been turn three though so who knows. I agree that black and red goblins would be much more exciting. Plus better opportunity for the dlc.
Maybe they'll make krenko into a card for this like they did with talrand

@CrazyToast

Hmm...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Although I've wanted a proper Goblin deck since 09, I have to say I'm dissapointed by the inclusion of Goblin Piledriver.

Protection cards have a poor history of imbalance in this series, and I had hoped they'd tone them down for 13 as they're a pretty cheap way to win in a limited environment where some decks can do nothing to stop them, making the win entirely the luck of the draw, and this is an especially OP card against mono-Blue.

Goblin Piledriver is a classic, and protection from blue is probably the color that matters the least anyway (blue have counterspells).

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!

@CrazyToast

Hmm...

Ya i think goblin ringleader will be in. I'm hoping anyway
Maybe they'll make krenko into a card for this like they did with talrand

There is a Krenko Legend in Magic: 2013. Fairly good bet we'll see him.

Goblin Piledriver is a classic, and protection from blue is probably the color that matters the least anyway (blue have counterspells).

Yeah, but at 2 mana, you can easily get it out before Blue hits the 3 mana needed for most counters. If Red goes first, then you can cast it while Blue has only 1 mana, and then except for the odd board effect card like Evacuate, Blue has pretty much lost as soon as Red drew their hand.

Yeah, it's a classic, but most classic cards become so precisely because they're OP. Any card which can win a certain matchup with very little effort on behalf of the player should not be included when deck editing is so limited.

There's probably a single copy.
It's not going to be winning games single-handedly like Mirran Crusader or Sword of War and Peace. You need a bunch of Goblins to make it work and none of them are Pro-blue.

Just because a card has Protection doesn't mean the game is broken.

Oh, and considering DotP'13's current metagame, this card is nothing. The way things are shaping up with what Garruk's deck and Celestial Light are packing, this Goblin deck is going to need all the help it can get.

Yeah, but at 2 mana, you can easily get it out before Blue hits the 3 mana needed for most counters. If Red goes first, then you can cast it while Blue has only 1 mana, and then except for the odd board effect card like Evacuate, Blue has pretty much lost as soon as Red drew their hand.

Yeah, it's a classic, but most classic cards become so precisely because they're OP. Any card which can win a certain matchup with very little effort on behalf of the player should not be included when deck editing is so limited.

I think pro-X is actually a little healthy for the game, assuming it's all in moderation of course. In the past, they might have went a little overboard, especially in Beknighted. However, when protection is spread around properly, it help ensures a healthier environment in terms of match up analysis. If one deck features protection of a certain color, it may get played more if a deck of the color ends up dominant. If that happens, another deck that beats the "hoser" deck can then come into the metagame to sweep them. You should be getting a lot more players switching around their decks if they do this right (as in, not following Beknighted footsteps and put too many into a single deck).

I think pro-X is actually a little healthy for the game, assuming it's all in moderation of course. In the past, they might have went a little overboard, especially in Beknighted. However, when protection is spread around properly, it help ensures a healthier environment in terms of match up analysis. If one deck features protection of a certain color, it may get played more if a deck of the color ends up dominant. If that happens, another deck that beats the "hoser" deck can then come into the metagame to sweep them. You should be getting a lot more players switching around their decks if they do this right (as in, not following Beknighted footsteps and put too many into a single deck).

Kinda like how I said early on in '12's DLC unlcoks that Garruk's deck would have benefitted greatly from a couple copies of River Boa. quick, efficient, and can give Blue a bloody nose for a change instead of consistantly rolling over for Jace.
(Mind you it's not Pro-Blue, but it's a nice creature that's playable against any colour and has an added hose attached)
Although I've wanted a proper Goblin deck since 09, I have to say I'm dissapointed by the inclusion of Goblin Piledriver.

I see your point. I like the pump ability of the piledriver and pro blue would be OK, but both on one card totally wrecks mono-blue. Now I hate it even more that we get that many mono-decks making protection an OP ability.
@Cat: Yeah, he doesn't win alone, but it shouldn't be a problem to get a bunch of goblins out.
Now I really hope for Wall of Spears at least for one of the blue decks.

I see your point. I like the pump ability of the piledriver and pro blue would be OK, but both on one card totally wrecks mono-blue. Now I hate it even more that we get that many mono-decks making protection an OP ability.
@Cat: Yeah, he doesn't win alone, but it shouldn't be a problem to get a bunch of goblins out.
Now I really hope for Wall of Spears at least for one of the blue decks.

But that's really the thing. It's got a powerful pro-blue creature, but can the rest of the deck back it up? What if Jace's deck totally ruins it because of it's mill effects? Wll people change their tune and say the blue deck is broken?

It's far Far *FAR* too early to tell how this deck will interact with ANY other deck, much less assuming it completely murders blue because of this one card.
Yeah, it's quite early to tell on these kind of things. People seem to freak out on protection so much though. Yes, blue can't really interact with Goblin Piledriver, but that doesn't stop it from changing its gameplan and figuring out a way to minimize the number of goblins on the battlefield. Not to mention they start printing cards like that new illusion. One blue mana and a flying creature that gets out of burn range when 10 cards are in an opponent's library? Yeah, that's why cards like Goblin Piledriver end up getting included. To help decks push back when one deck might rough it up a bit.
Yeah, that's why cards like Goblin Piledriver end up getting included. To help decks push back when one deck might rough it up a bit.

Which expands on a point I tiptoed around above; What if the Goblins actually need Goblin Piledriver because the the way the deck was designed means it doesn't cope well with '13's blue decks?

We simply don't know at this point.

Which expands on a point I tiptoed around above; What if the Goblins actually need Goblin Piledriver because the the way the deck was designed means it doesn't cope well with '13's blue decks?

We simply don't know at this point.

Yeah, it's almost like a necessary evil at times because of this. We sometimes get players who want decks to be a little more even with each other, and this is sometimes one of the only ways of achieving this. Not to mention if the Goblin deck is better than blue, we have how many other decks without blue in them? Like another thing many other posters have wanted (players changing decks to avoid stale, repetitive gameplay), people can switch up their decks and use a non-blue deck "downgrading" Goblin Piledriver to just a pretty efficient goblin who likes to crash into the red zone with his buddies.

I like to think of it like this as well. Should Goblins beat blue and become a "deck to beat", Celestial Light exists and hoses red aggro (assumption, but that lifegain and mass removal...) effectively cleaning out Goblins. Lifegain is now a problem and what doesn't care about life? That's right, milling! Blue comes back into the spotlight tearing things up which might eventually bring back an onslaught of Goblins. Got a nice little rotating cycle of decks there. May not be the real outcome once decks are fully unveiled, but it's my "ideal" situation for the game. Some decks will maybe hover around 60/40 win-loss percentage for some match ups, but only have a bad 40/60 match up of their own to help keep it in check.
I agree that it should be as close to 50/50 as possible, and for the most part I think it will be. I think that the number one reason why people are losing games, other then skill, is their deck construction. I can't tell you the amount of times that people are still playing over 60 card decks. And I know someone will say that they play 64 cards and win all the time but the fact of the matter is were still going to get people who complain they can't win with a certain deck, meanwhile they have 80 cards and can never draw anything.
I hate to disappoint you Stevolutionary but that the way Magic is, it's a very matchup dependent game, thats why the meta is so important, and it's important for the developers to make sure we don't get a stale meta by balancing the decks, but there's always going to be certain decks that have favourable matchups against certain decks. However favouarble matchup doesn't mean unbeatable, like Brodo says 40/60 is a reasonable figure for a win/loss ratio in an unfavourable matchup and if that figure is true for the majority of the decks then the developers have done a very good job at balancing the game.
I am very happy with the fact that the deck is mono-red, i want classic goblin aggro not the lorwyn type of goblins.

I wonder..
If they care to put in the mighty and classic goblin piledriver then they might as well put in the others.

And i mean the so called "legacy" goblins.
here are all of them:

goblin sharpshooter
goblin matron
goblin piledriver
goblin lackey
gempalm incinerator
goblin ringleader
siege-gang commander
kiki-jiki, mirror breaker
goblin warchief
stingscourger

I am very happy if they all have atleast 1 copy in the deck.
there is also warren instigator , goblin grenade and spikeshot elder.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
Meh, Im not too thrilled about a Goblin tribal deck, but its just personal opinion. It would be cool to have a mono red tribal deck (faster then Strength of Stone, maybe 1.5 cmc average lower) work though and be decent. If this game had no tribal decks and was all combo/control, and had no aggro decks in the first 10 decks, I would be honestly happy. I think its cause of all the aggro in 2012, maybe have some aggro dlc, the game does need the decks, just not 90% of them be it.

Im actually being optimistic in this post, I was never a big fan of red cards since I started playing so Im obv biased lol.

We can have 2 mono red decks, one be control (Chandra), and the other be some tribal or something, and still feel like we have lots of variety. A mill deck and a control deck are played very different and are both mono blue in this game prolly etc.

Protection from blue doesn't hurt blue much as said in earlier posts, especially if the card costs more then a counterspell. Goblin Piledriver costs 2, so it can get around it, depends on who goes first and all too. But even then I'm sure there's some card that doesn't target and can remove it from the board later in the game. With a working end step, itll be even better too (lol)
But this shouldn't be the case. Ideally, every deck should have as close to a 50/50 matchup as possible, with your skills as a player being the decider, not the fortune of having picked rock when they picked scissors before the match even started. 60/40 matchups should be the absolute limit of imbalance, yet most 09 and 12 poor matchups were even worse than this.

This is why I only play 2HG and to a lesser degree 4 player FFA. 1v1 is too much a game of rock/paper/scissors to be fun. When the game becomes all about anticipating what your opponent is going to play and trying to counter it, rather than using a deck you enjoy and playing it better than anyone else, then the whole package fails for me. I want to play a game, not exploit a metagame.

If the Goblin deck has issues with Blue, then I would rather them spend the time making it a better deck, and one that has cards added that take advantage of Blue's traditional weaknesses that take intelligence to play but can still be dealt with in other ways (such as unequal trades), rather than a lazy bomb that can't even be targeted.

50/50 is going to be practically impossible to achieve, especially in a game that starts off with 10 decks which only keeps adding more into the mix with DLC. When they attempt to go down this route, it's far easier for a handful of decks to end up better than the competition and then those decks run the format leaving every other deck underplayed and people whining about it.

The problem is when balancing the entire game as 50/50, they can realistically only achieve it if they essentially cripple decks. Leave out good cards or make decks behave in a predictable manner. Archetype differences play a huge role in who is favorable in a match up which causes most problems here. Suppose they start off giving control the tools needed to be a good control deck, and it ends up easily stomping over aggro decks. To ensure this match up isn't around a 60/40 or a higher win percentage, they have to cripple the control deck by making it worse. The best way is making sure it doesn't draw its card advantage spells consistently by limiting the number available. It's essentially no different that you complaining luck shouldn't matter, because they are making luck matter when they go down this route and we just end up with bad decks.

This is just a fact of Magic, anywhere. You'll get a vastly healtier format shooting for these favorable/unfavorable match ups in a slight RPS-manner because the game has a smaller tendency to get stale. Landing around the 60-40 ranges is very reasonable and doesn't knock skill completely out of the game because good play can easily trump worse players piloting afavorable deck at this level.
Goblins, as MTG tribes go are probably the funnest and most flavourful.   Better than treefolk.

This will never happen, but I hope for Squee, Goblin Nabob and Goblin Grenade
Goblins, as MTG tribes go are probably the funnest and most flavourful.   Better than treefolk.

If the deck had 4 copies of each of those, it would be one of the best decks based on that alone, lets hope we dont get that lol

@Splattercat, below, Goblin Grenades are fine, I dont mind 4 of them, just would be really dumb with Squee imo, since were limited so much in dotp etc

Squee won't happen (though aside from metaplot issues, there's no reason he couldn't be), but I'm still betting Goblin Grenade will be in.
So I added reckless one to the pile...oh and also goblin arsonist thanks to some help. I don't know what that artifact is on the right though. Maybe new art ruby medallion. Although i dont knw why it would be in the goblin deck.
So I added reckless one to the pile...oh and also goblin arsonist thanks to some help. I don't know what that artifact is on the right though. Maybe new art ruby medallion. Although i dont knw why it would be in the goblin deck.

Text is too long for Ruby Medallion and I think Chandra's deck has it with different art.

I'm actually quite unfamiliar on this card's art, so I'm guessing it's either a new card, or new/alternate art for an already existing card.
Reckless One is kinda boring, I was hoping for Battle Squadron,   a finisher with no evasion is meh.  Plus a bunch of goblin lords already give haste, thus making it a mildly redudant ability.    

Bloodmark Mentor would be nice too.

Squee was one of my favourite cards in paper magic - combos galor - but I know he has no chance of making it in this deck.  Despite all of his synergy  *cough* Siege-Gang Commander*cough*  
Sign In to post comments