G/U Dredge? deck building help

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help.  I've been running R/G wolfrun ramp ravenger and looking for a change and something that is more "fair" I guess and slightly less seen than the ramp for my local playgroup.  So I'm wanting to run a dredge I think it was called.  With self mill and running cards like Splinterfright and Boneyard Wurm and Kessig Cagebreakers.  Have playsets of a lot of stuff like Gnaw to the Bone, Spider Spawning, Tracker's Instincts, and Mulch.  Also have a couple Jace's Archivist, Merfolk Looter, Thought Scour, Forbidden Alchemy, and Armored Skaab.  Also wanting to throw in a couple Unburial Rites for when my main cards get milled into the yard.  Was thinking of running lands such as Hinterland Harbor, Woodland Cemetery, and Sunpetal Grove to cover the extra colors needed, and noticed that similar decks run Birds of Paradise so thought that would also help. 

My only concern is that when the sets rotate out I want to have a few cards as possible to go out with it, so the current Innistrad block is where I want to source the majority of my cards so that I can get the most play out of them.  My wolfrun is going to be basically completely out when the set rotates out with the mirroden block and m12.  But for the time being if stuff like Jace's Archivist and Merfolk Looter works well then I can keep that for now.

So guys, help me make a pretty good deck!
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can send my way!

Mitchell
So far I've come up with this:

21 lands:
8 Forest
5 Island
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Shimmering Grotto

11 Spells:
4 Tracker's instincts
3 Mulch
1 Gnaw to the Bone
1 Spider Spawn
2 Unburial Rites

28 Creatures:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Merfolk Looter
4 Deranged Assistant
3 Boneyard Wurm
4 Armored Skaab
4 Splinterfright
2 Jace's Archivist
3 Kessig Cagebreakers

Mana Curve:
Drop      -       Number
1                         4
2                        18
3                        11
4                         0
5                         6

Roughly 1/3 of deck is land
Roughly 1/2 of deck is Creatures
Roughly 1/6 of deck is Spells, most with flashback

I'm thinking this is a good rough draft of the deck I'm looking at.  I know it doesn't have removal, artifact removal, counters etc.  I was thinking of throwing some into the sideboard but we shall see.

What do you guys think so far?
Anything guys?
I'll randomly chime in here. I'm also building a "above kitchen table" level deck in G/U dredge.

The idea here is to make a deck that is kinda janky and fun to play but can maybe still hold up to a deck or two on a night out at the store.

The real reason why I wanted to play this is because I wanted to find a use for my overpriced Skaab Ruinators. ha.

Creatures
3 x Viridian Emissary
3 x dawntreader elk
4 x skaab ruinator
4 x misthollow griffin
2 x solemn simulacrum
2 x phyrexian metamorph
2 x wolfir silverheart
2 x snapcaster mage

Spells
4 x Mulch
3 x Tracker's instincts
4 x thought scour
3 x beast within

24 lands
includes 4 hinterland, 1 evolving wilds, and 2 alchemist refuge.

The idea here is to basically thin the deck to almost nil while never missing a land drop (ramping in some cases). Tracker for a Wolfir and then cast the ruinator out of the yard exiling the griffins.

The only thing I want to do with this deck is find a way to bring in swords. The beast within is actually a nice little trick as it can easily put one of your creatures in the yard (a 3/3 beast is usually going to be a positive gain cast on your own if you have a solemn or griffin out). Or it can remove stupid stuff like planeswalkers and o-rings.

Swinging for a 9/10 skaab is kinda fun. If it had a sword it would be even better. Swords also turn these 2/2 dorks into threats.  Often times I'm finding I'm swinging in with the emissary pretty often, getting in for 6-8 damage.

You're kinda protected from board sweepers too (minus terminus) as stuff you have can be manipulated from the yard.

The obvious inclusion here would be Sun Titans, but I found a 3rd color mana really just got away from the ramping of the early creatures to exile to ruinators. And then on the off chance you DO mill out a Titan your white sources become useless.

I playing Ranger's guile out of the board to protect the ruinators against vapor snags (which demolishes your graveyard).
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
the deck almost needs Gnaw to the Bone as a 2-3 of to stabilise against Aggro.

I'd try something along the lines of:

24 Land:
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Hinterland Harbor
[The remainder is the correct ratio of Island to Forest, unwilling to do math at this time in the morning]

22 Creatures:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Boneyard Wurm
4 Armored Skaab
4 Splinterfright
3 Tower Geist
3 Kessig Cagebreakers

12 Spells:
4 Thought Scour
4 Mulch
2 Tracker's Instinct
2 Gnaw to the Bone

it need a number shave, and probably more dudes but this is where my mind is going.
Photobucket
Yeah I was trying to run more creatures that are cheap and had added benifits and basic mana batteries so you could knock out your hand quickly and make him chuck his hand with the archivist.  Knaw to the bone is nice! it really is, when played against my wolfrun deck in FNM it gained him 30 life, and I just couldn't deal with 2 15/15 splinter's.    I think 1 would do for the most part, till more playtesting.  Then put more in the sideboard to deal with aggro.

I like the Skaab Ruinator and actually never purchased one but drew one out of a pack, thinking of sideboarding it along with Bonehoard, but only one copy of the skaab. 

Now an interesting thing a friend recommended was one copy of Mirror-Mad Phantasm and that's not a bad idea I don't think.
Have you considered Ghouldtree? it's a solid 10/10 that defies graveyard hate like nihil spellbomb. I consider it to be on the same level, if not better, than Boneyard Wurm in the sense it comes out and doesn't have to wait or rely on other cards to get bigger.

In playtesting myself, I can tell you that Mirror-Mad does work well here as a 1-2 of.

Skaab Ruinator is neat, but don't put him in unless you're going to devote the deck to him. Saidin311's deck is pretty much devoted to the Skaab. So in there it works, it also can work in a Birthing Pod deck, but that's beside the point. As a 1-2 of in your deck, Skaab will work against what you're trying to accomplish (having creatures in your graveyard). Keep that in mind.

Bonehoard is good here. It successfully doubles any Boneyard or Splinter in your deck and can even make a Birds of Paradise a viable wincon!

I'm not sure how much testing you've done, but the assistant may seem nice on paper, but he's just subpar compared to other spells you could be running. When deciding what to cut for other things, remove him first.

Have you considered Forbidden Alch?

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

yeah I was thinking about it, it might work. But want the extra creatures but it's might go in instead of mulch.  The assitant isn't that bad though, but I'll see after more playing.

This is the list I have right now. I chose Screeching Skaabs over other mill spells like Thought Scour and Dream Twist because they are chump blockers vs. aggro and attackers vs. control, plus adds to the number of creatures in the yard.

You can replace the Elves with Birds of Paradise for better mana-fixing.
This is what I got now, play tested it a little today with the old setting, didn't go so well. Milled myself out twice and also couldn't get my big hitters in to finish off b/c of chump blockers for the most part but for Splinterfright.  So decided to pull out the black/white splash and the big spider spell.  Put in a Laboratory Maniac and Memory's Journey for this, when they hit the yard, and I have no cards left, I play the Journey to put the Maniac in the library and play for the win hopefully.  It's gonna be hard to do with Splinterfright on the board so I might have to play it a turn early to keep from milling myself before I can play him.  Added the Artful Dodge to help push a 10+ creatures through for the win when I get them in the yard.  With this one, I didn't like the Ghoultree to be honest but it plays well in testing with the deck, usually costing around 4 to get out. Sometimes I get lucky draws on it and only cost a forest.  What do you guys think so far?  I'm glad to have pulled the b/w out of it so I don't need the Shimmering Grotto anymore and it runs a little more smoothly.  As always with this deck it's all up in the air how it will go. 

21 Lands:
Island
10  Forest
Hinterland Harbor

11 Spells:
Memory's Journey
Artful Dodge
Tracker's Instincts
Gnaw to the Bone
Mulch

28 Creatures:
Laboratory Maniac
Merfolk Looter
Deranged Assistant
Armored Skaab
Birds of Paradise
Boneyard Wurm
Splinterfright
Kessig Cagebreakers
Ghoultree
So far this is running a lot more stable and predictable.  Still slow but it is what it is.  What do you guys think so far?  I need to come up with a sideboard. 
One nice trick: you can tap Deranged Assistant for mana even if you don't need to cast a spell, just for the mill. I usually do it during combat; if I'm lucky, my Splinterfright and Boneyard Wurm both get +1/+1.
yeah that is what i do with him, even if I don't need mana.  but mostly I use him to pay for spells before I use my lands.  Same with merfolk, if I got a hand full of stuff I can't use or don't need, or spells I can play with flashback I dump them with the looter, or if I got exess small creatures etc I'll dump for a spell or something.  Once splinterfrights are out, usually the milling goes quick, one match I had 3 out and milled myself in like 3 turns.  Just talked to a knowledgable guy from my shop and he was saying that I should wait till I mill myself completely out, then while I'm still in upkeep before my draw step I play Memory's Journey and put the Laboratory Maniac in the library.  Then draw him, play him. Next turn win unless removal hits it, but by then I would think most removal has been played to pull creatures and large threats out.