What's the point of the scout's Wilderness Tracking?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seems to me like it's worse than regular tracking, not better. How is this meant to work in play to provide an actual advantage?

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

Seems to me like it's worse than regular tracking, not better. How is this meant to work in play to provide an actual advantage?

The only possible benefit I can think of is that the knack lets you inspect a fairly large area (up to 10x10) in a fairly short time (5 minutes) and with a great deal of precision (number and nature of creatures). Whereas without the knack the amount of time/area/information gained would be up to the DM based on how good your check was. Of course, since the DC for the knack is up to the DM too, the end result is either way the DM decides exactly how much information you are able to get...
I think I'd prefer a +2 to Perception rolls to track.

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

I think the scout ability looks useless because the Find Tracks ability under the Perception skill is only very vaguely defined.  By a very strict reading, it lets you find tracks of a particular creature you are following and no other information (it doesn't even say it lets you know how fast they are moving or in what direction), although most people play it that way.
   The Scout ability on the other hand is explicit that it lets you know all creatures who passed through a 100 sqft area in the last 24 hours, their number, their direction of travel, etc.