Dragonmarks... how do you handle them?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm curious how much of your character a dragonmark influences.

From the novels I've read, it seems that a dragonmark does not confer much power directly. The characters I've seen essentially make use of one ability, generally. Examples that come to mind are Ashi using Mind Blank, the other Deneith heir in the second trilogy (with Ashi) that uses her power to protect herself, and that Lyrandar heir in the Dragon Below trilogy that used Gust of Wind.

If I remember correctly, each character only used this one ability each and that was it.

Now I know according to the lore the big deal about dragonmarks is not that spell-like ability that they grant, but rather the impact they have on certain magics and their ability to facilitate the use of those magics. That's why the Houses have monopolies on certain goods and services.

So my question is can a dragonmark be more than that? I currently play a 17th level Eladrin Eldritch Knight. Mechanically he is an eladrin but thematically he is a human with the Mark of Passage.

In combat, he teleports around like crazy, and uses Feywild Guardian with Eldritch Abduction to teleport himself and an ally and prevent that ally from being hit. He's got several encounter teleportation powers and can teleport at-will (though conditionally) with Glimmering Blade and Feywild Guardian. He's the embodiment of a swift blade.

Is that too much to attribute to his dragonmark? I roleplay it that all of his supernatural abilities to teleport come from his dragonmark. Otherwise he's simply a skilled knight.

Likewise, I'm applying to another Eberron game with a human paladin with the Mark of Sentinel. The character is not a paladin in the traditional sense, but rather the class has a lot of protective abilities that I feel represent a Deneith heir pretty well. So if I'm handing out DR to allies, or bonuses to defenses, or temporary hit points through Lay on Hands and Angelic Protection, am I going overboard on the "this is my Mark of Sentinel", or is that normal?

I'm curious to know what other people think and how they play it. Maybe it's not how dragonmarks normally work but since the PC is unique, his is stronger? Anyways, share your thoughts.
I played a Stormsoul Genasi re-flavored as an heir of House Lyrandar who manifested an aberrant mark that was something of a 'Dark Mirror' to the Mark of Storm. He was a Swordmage/Barbarian hybrid, and I held to the idea that his magic was a mix of arcane training (notably his own constant teleportation) and his aberrant mark empowering his control over lightning and thunder. Even the Barbarian abilities were tied into his mark, the rages being him losing himself in the sound of thunder and possibly influence from the Devourer. I was playing that off as being the resurgent power of the aberrant marks though. He was essentially supposed to be like the Tarkanan of his time.

Saying that an heir could use the abilities of their mark (like the Eladrin fellow you mentioned) repeatedly isn't something I've ever actually seen done outside that guy, but it sounds like a good idea to me. Dragonmark abilities are cool, but using them to maintain economic monopolies is boring when you're a PC. Though I guess the more standard explanation is that the Mark of Passage just makes teleportation magic much easier for you to use, so while the power is tied to your mark, the mark isn't the source. I prefer the idea of just being able to use the Mark constantly because you're gifted.
In 4E, I often imply that a character's class powers are manifestations of his dragonmark. The Lyrandar storm sorcerer isn't simply a storm sorcerer who happens to be able to use an extra gust of wind because of his mark, he's a storm sorcerer because of the mark, and everything he does is a result of channeling energy through the mark. Looking to the novels, in The Dreaming Dark, the idea is that Lei's mark of making comes into play any time she engages in artifice; sure, mechanically it might allow her to repair damage once per day, but practically it is reflected by her remarkable skills.

I've posted further thoughts here.

But yes, personally, what you say is exactly the sort of thing I might allow in my game. I played a "deva" avenger defined as a normal human who survived the Mourning but was possessed by spirits of those who died; all his class and racial powers were derived from that concept. He wasn't a follower of the Silver Flame or Sovereign host; his divine power source was the vengeful spirits within him. Similarly, using the eladrin racial as a "human with mark of passage" would be fine with me.

Personally, I think themes are a good way to handle this, allowing people to swap in a few utility powers that fit the mark, but it's not something I've personally had an opportunity to create.
Thanks for answering guys, and good to hear. I wasn't sure because of the mechanicas behind the marks in game and the representation of dragonmarked characters in the books I've read made it seem that the marks don't confer much in the way of direct power. I wasn't sure about Lei because of her "special" nature.
I wasn't sure about Lei because of her "special" nature.

It's a valid question with Lei, but prior to that revelation she and those around her believe that her mark is enhancing her artificing talents.